Review of my LIV Watches Genesis P-51
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Review of my LIV Watches Genesis P-51

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Review of my LIV Watches Genesis P-51

LIV Watch is a young start up, crowd funded watch company and I have just received their latest crowd funded Genesis P-51 in the mail this week. I have been wearing it for the last three days and I thought that I would like to share my joy with the wider Watch U Seek community. However, I do not know if it qualifies as an Affordable Watch costing USD$990 at the pre-order price but here goes.

Specifications
    Diameter: 46mm
    Height: 15.9mm
    Lug to Lug: 57mm
    Lug Width: 23mm
    Water Resistance: Yes, 100m
    Crown: Screw down
    Crystal: Sapphire front and back
    Bezel: Rotating Ceramic with BG-W9 lume

Background
    I have heard a lot about LIV through the incessant on-line marketing and YouTube reviews and about how LIV Watches was one of the most successful crowd funded watch start ups. Numerous positive reviews about the watch quality and customer service made me sit up and take notice of this watch brand. I decided to take a look at their website when the latest Kickstarter campaign kicked off early last year.

I was immediately drawn to their pilot's chronograph watch which featured a Sellita SW-500 movement. More about the movement later. There were four colours to choose from and I found the blue a very attractive proposition.

Name:  P51 sales brochure.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  106.7 KB

The rest of the range is included here for completeness.

Name:  P51 in 4 colours.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  78.5 KB

I promptly signed up and soon, me and USD$990 parted ways. At the same time, I elected to buy an extra NATO strap as the 23mm lug width was an odd size. Now, the long anxious wait begins.

Incoming!!!
    LIV Watches kept its customers (or supporters) up to date with monthly production updates and I was initially disappointed when the promised fulfilment date was pushed back from November 2018 to January 2019, March 2019, May 2019. The reason of the delay was case production and sourcing of the movement. Halfway through the project, LIV wrote to its customers and informed us that the Sellita SW-500 was going to be substituted with an ETA 7750 movement. I was ecstatic - over the moon! What? An ETA 7750 for USD$990? A good deal right? Well, no one's complaining.

Delivery was done through FedEx and arrived within a week of the initial email informing me of the shipment. That day, I waited for the FedEx van to turn up with my watch and like a little boy in a candy store rushed to open my new present.

Name:  P51 front view.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  93.1 KB

Dial
    My choice of dial was the blue and I must say that the colour was of a slightly deeper tone than what was in the marketing brochures but the tonality is simply perfect and appears different under different lighting conditions. The orange accented seconds hands, minute track from 0 to 15 and that anodized start pusher completed the visual look of the watch. Layout of the sub-registers was typical of an ETA 7750 movement with day and date. The date skipped over to the next day about 2 minutes to midnight almost instantaneously.

The printing on the dial was sharp and clear. An examination under a 10x loupe did not show up any obvious smudges or defects. A profile of a WWII era North American P-51 Mustang was located in the bottom left corner of the dial in between 7 and 8 o'clock position.

Name:  P51 macro plane.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  92.7 KB

Lume was adequate for the watch but was not exceptionally bright. It lost its luminosity after only about 30 minutes but perhaps I have not recharged it enough in the UV light.

Name:  P51 lume.JPG
Size:  25.2 KB

Case
    The watch case is made of Titanium and is rated to 100m water resistance. It has a screw down crown for the watch winding, time and day/date changes. The pushers are tight and I suspect that rubber seals might have been located in the tube but I had not verified if that was indeed the case.

Movement
    As mentioned earlier, the original specification was a Sellita SW-500 movement that was substituted with an ETA 7750 prior to fulfilment of the orders. As with all 7750 movements, this one features hours, minutes, central chronograph seconds hand, small seconds at the 9 o'clock position, 30 minutes counter at 12 o'clock position, 12 hours counter at 6 o'clock position, day and date displays.

The self winding rotor is noisy which is typical of many 7750 calibre and this is no different. The rotor is nicely finished with the LIV Watch logo and a sapphire case back allows one to admire the heart of the watch beating away.

Name:  P51 back view.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  143.0 KB

Strap
    The watch comes as standard with a soft and supple leather strap with a quick release spring bar. This negates the use of spring bar tools for the changing of straps. The strap width starts at 23mm at the lugs and is stepped tapered down to 20mm at the buckle, finally tapering down to 13mm at the end of the strap.

Name:  P51 strap quick release.jpg
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  P51 buckle.jpg
Size:  58.1 KB

Final thoughts
    On the wrist, the watch sits a little high at 15.9mm but it looks proportional due to the 46mm diameter case. They managed to keep the lug to lug at within a more manageable 57mm so it does not stick out of the sides of the wrist (mine is 7.7").

Overall, I am happy with this buy and will be keeping this for a while. Mandatory wrist shot below.

Name:  P51 wrist shot.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  102.3 KB

Re: Review of my LIV Watches Genesis P-51

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    LIV Watch is a young start up, crowd funded watch company and I have just received their latest crowd funded Genesis P-51 in the mail this week. I have been wearing it for the last three days and I thought that I would like to share my joy with the wider Watch U Seek community. However, I do not know if it qualifies as an Affordable Watch costing USD$990 at the pre-order price but here goes.

Specifications
    Diameter: 46mm
    Height: 15.9mm
    Lug to Lug: 57mm
    Lug Width: 23mm
    Water Resistance: Yes, 100m
    Crown: Screw down
    Crystal: Sapphire front and back
    Bezel: Rotating Ceramic with BG-W9 lume
    Workmanship looks good (especially on the machined details on the screw down crown) and that blue is the perfect shade. Honestly if this were in ~40mm it would be much much more wearable.

brother of OoO
    whoa and FernandoFuenzalida like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    Workmanship looks good (especially on the machined details on the screw down crown) and that blue is the perfect shade. Honestly if this were in ~40mm it would be much much more wearable.
    Thanks for the kind words Richard. You got a point there as the calibre 7750 is only about 30mm in diameter and I felt that LIV was making the watch unnecessarily large just because this is a pilot watch. I think a 42 or 43mm would be perfect but of course, the traditional fliegeruhr has a very large dial.
    Last edited by Dogbert_is_fat; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:27.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the kind words Richard. You got a point there as the calibre 7750 is only about 30mm in diameter and I felt that LIV was making the watch unnecessarily large just because this is a pilot watch. I think a 42 or 43mm would be perfect but of course, the traditional fliegeruhr has a very large dial.
    When I first saw that color scheme it reminded me of the artisans de geneve's "cool hand Brooklyn"...very very nice.

So yeah if they offered a similar watch in a 40mm size I'm definitely game.

brother of OoO
    Dogbert_is_fat likes this.

Nice looking watch, nice review and a great aircraft. Looks like you’ve got everything going for you.

Very professional review mate, covered all bases and well written.

Good review... LIV would like it. Enjoy.
    [14xOoO]+22222 44444 55555 66666

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Nice looking watch, nice review and a great aircraft. Looks like you’ve got everything going for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    Very professional review mate, covered all bases and well written.
    Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    Good review... LIV would like it. Enjoy.
    Thanks for the kind words gents! I am happy to share my thoughts on the watch. Would have been nice if LIV offered me a watch like they did with the Youtubers. LOL.

Thanks for the review and a nice overview of the LIV Watches Genesis P-51. It looks to be a well crafted watch with an excellent movement. Love the blue with the orange accents. I did visit their website and their Rebel chrono line looks like a very interesting design and would be a "fun" sports watch to wear.

Enjoy your LIV.

The printing on the dial was sharp and clear. An examination under a 10x loupe did not show up any obvious smudges or defects. A profile of a WWII era North American P-51 Mustang was located in the bottom left corner of the dial in between 7 and 8 o'clock position.

Name:  P51 macro plane.jpg
Size:  92.7 KB
    Not to rain on the parade as it seems to be a pretty nice watch. But whoever designed the profile of a P-51 for the dial evidently didn't look at many photos of an actual Mustang. The P-51 had very distinct squared-off wings and horizontal stabilizers.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_574.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  161.8 KB

Photo obtained under fair use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information