Ridiculously good watch for the money. Timing results on the Swiss STP1-11
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Ridiculously good watch for the money. Timing results on the Swiss STP1-11

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Ridiculously good watch for the money. Timing results on the Swiss STP1-11

Quote Originally Posted by crysman2000 View Post
    I've been after the Emporio Armani automatic w/ the STP1-11 decorated movement for close to $200 and found the grey face on brown strap selling for $279 currently at the Watch Station. Coupon code ICECREAM takes 20% off bringing total to around $224. I used coupon cabin as a cashback site that has the 20% coupon AND gives 7.5% back, so net is around $206 after cashback for a very nice automatic watch with a very good eta 2824 clone movmement.

PM if you want specific instructions on Coupon Cabin cashback site and if you'd like me to give you referral code.

EMPORIO ARMANI SWISS MADE Watch,Classic Watch ARS3000 | WatchStation&reg Online Store

also there is another Armani ARS3020 on sale for $299 w/ olive dial and light gold case.
    Gents I'm only gonna say this once. Run, don't walk, over to WS and snatch one of these up if you can. I just ran it through the paces, and this little "fashion watch" has laid waste to almost everything I've had on the bench in the past couple months. Nothing outside of my Omega 8500 co-axial (for which you could buy 20 of these Armanis), can touch it. Info on the movement is scarce. We all know Fossil bought STP and has been putting their Model 1-11 (yet another Swiss Made 2824-2 clone (update: drop in replacement--dimensional clone but few/no interchangeable parts, as sirgilbert notes below), possibly from a Sea-Gull ebauche (update: unlikely, given docvail's findings below) in everything from A (Armani) to Z (Zodiac), including some of Fossil's own "Swiss Made" line (which are a bit dull IMO). The best part? I had literally zero interest in buying one of these. Had it not been for you fine F71 folks and that m̶a̶r̶r̶i̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ lovely "Heads up" thread, I never would have even known about them.

There's no debate that the 1-11 is well-built (see WatchGuy UK's review), has an extra jewel (26 total) for the barrel arbor, and a far nicer finish that than the run-of-mill 2824's, but I always took most of seemingly outlandish stuff being said about these movements as hyperbole, if not outright myth--that Fossil exec who claimed the 1-11 had "better than COSC" timekeeping numbers, or the infamous email correspondence where an STP "tech" claimed the movement was adjusted in FIVE positions (vs. two for an ETA 2824 in standard grade). "Sure it is!" I remember thinking. And Wendy Williams is "all natural."

I'm glad I didn't place any bets (on the watch). I don't know how they're doing it, but this movement is, quite simply, phenomenal. Just unboxed it yesterday. Pretty blue dial, nice fit and finish, classic styling, blah blah blah (I do love the strap though). Anyone in the "watch=man jewelry" crowd will surely find it well worth the measly $200-300 it's selling for (props to crysman2000 for spotting the deal).

Fellow "gear heads" will feel like someone misplaced a decimal point...in the best possible way. Holy $#!t can this thing keep time! Here it is Pendant Right (12-up), the most useless of the 6 positions (COSC doesn't even test it), fashion ads be damned, after discharging from full wind for nearly 27 hours (note the low amplitude). In other words, dreadful position in dismal conditions. Even the finest movements often "step in it" here. Meanwhile, the Armani did this:

Name:  IMG_20160722_000938.jpg
Views: 4636
Size:  172.0 KB

And though I've got a big update to the timing study coming soon, this little gem warrants an early preview. We'll keep things in the Swiss family for now:

Name:  armani timing.JPG
Views: 4631
Size:  166.6 KB

Like I said, insane numbers. I'm still scooping my jaw off the bench

And yes, it's nice looking too (to the extent that matters), unless you need a watch the size of a coaster . But honestly, I'd pay four figures for the movement alone. It's that good. I feel like a shill. I hate shills. I don't care. You guys should seriously consider springing for one of these. Any watch collector ought to have at least one watch with this movement in the case, and for $200, how could I not share the news with ya?

Name:  IMG_20160722_003117.jpg
Views: 4614
Size:  204.1 KBName:  IMG_20160722_002945.jpg
Views: 4589
Size:  287.2 KB
    Last edited by Purple Hayz; July 22nd, 2016 at 23:08. Reason: updating info on 1-11 movement origins and interchangeability

Re: Ridiculously good watch for the money. Timing results on the Swiss STP1-11

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hayz View Post
    Gents I'm only gonna say this once. Run, don't walk, over to WS and snatch one of these up if you can. I just ran it through the paces, and this little "fashion watch" has laid waste to almost everything I've had on the bench in the past couple months. Nothing outside of my Omega 8500 co-axial (for which you could buy 20 of these Armanis), can touch it. Info on the movement is scarce. We all know Fossil bought STP and has been putting their Model 1-11 (yet another Swiss Made 2824-2 clone, possibly from a Sea-Gull ebauche) in everything from A (Armani) to Z (Zodiac), including some of Fossil's own "Swiss Made" line (which are a bit dull IMO). The best part? I had literally zero interest in buying one of these. Had it not been for you fine F71 folks and that m̶a̶r̶r̶i̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ lovely "Heads up" thread, I never would have even known about them.

There's no debate that the 1-11 is well-built (see WatchGuy UK's review), has an extra jewel (26 total) for the barrel arbor, and a far nicer finish that than the run-of-mill 2824's, but I always took most of seemingly outlandish stuff being said about these movements as hyperbole, if not outright myth--that Fossil exec who claimed the 1-11 had "better than COSC" timekeeping numbers, or the infamous email correspondence where an STP "tech" claimed the movement was adjusted in FIVE positions (vs. two for an ETA 2824 in standard grade). "Sure it is!" I remember thinking. And Wendy Williams is "all natural."

I'm glad I didn't place any bets (on the watch). I don't know how they're doing it, but this movement is, quite simply, phenomenal. Just unboxed it yesterday. Pretty blue dial, nice fit and finish, classic styling, blah blah blah (I do love the strap though). Anyone in the "watch=man jewelry" crowd will surely find it well worth the measly $200-300 it's selling for (props to crysman2000 for spotting the deal).

Fellow "gear heads" will feel like someone misplaced a decimal point...in the best possible way. Holy $#!t can this thing keep time! Here it is Pendant Right (12-up), the most useless of the 6 positions (COSC doesn't even test it), fashion ads be damned, after discharging from full wind for nearly 27 hours (note the low amplitude). In other words, dreadful position in dismal conditions. Even the finest movements often "step in it" here. Meanwhile, the Armani did this:

Name:  IMG_20160722_000938.jpg
Views: 4636
Size:  172.0 KB

And though I've got a big update to the timing study coming soon, this little gem warrants an early preview. We'll keep things in the Swiss family for now:

Name:  armani timing.JPG
Views: 4631
Size:  166.6 KB

Like I said, insane numbers. I'm still scooping my jaw off the bench

And yes, it's nice looking too (to the extent that matters), unless you need a watch the size of a coaster . But honestly, I'd pay four figures for the movement alone. It's that good. I feel like a shill. I hate shills. I don't care. You guys should seriously consider springing for one of these. Any watch collector ought to have at least one example of this movement in the case, and for $200, how could I not share the news with ya?

Name:  IMG_20160722_003117.jpg
Views: 4614
Size:  204.1 KBName:  IMG_20160722_002945.jpg
Views: 4589
Size:  287.2 KB
    Interesting post. Where did you buy the blue version?

Good to hear. I've been hearing more about this movement. It's great to have more competition for the ETA 2824-2.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice movement, but I don't think I'll ever buy a watch just for that reason alone. :)
    Never spend more than $100 on a Mushroom!

Thanks for bringing this caliber to our attention. Their plant looks impressive to say the least

A Visit To STP Watch Movement Manufacture: Fossil Group's Answer To ETA | aBlogtoWatch

Obviously we can wait for another watch with this cal if this particular one doesn't strike our fancy. Looks like a Glycine combat 6 ripoff to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hayz View Post
    I'd pay four figures for the movement alone.
    Or you could pay two figures for a quartz...
    The only thing real is waking and rubbing your eyes.

Not wanting to set off a larger debate, may I ask what we know for sure about the calibre which might lead to some conclusion (or even a guess) about the ebauche originating with Sea-gull?

What little I've seen written about STP remains a bit vague, as you'd expect. However, there was a Blog to Watch article, in fact I think following a tour of the STP facilities, and after reading it twice, the nuanced suggestion seemed to be that STP was doing more in-house production of parts, and less outsourcing of production, as compared to some other Swiss manufacturers, who are assumed to be Swiss-assembling parts made elsewhere.

The implication being that the STP movements were a slight step up from entry-level calibres from ETA and Selitta.

Very interesting to see the performance results, and looking forward to hearing more. Thanks for posting.

This message isn't angry, it's just my thumbs working furiously...
    GUTuna and watch-newbie like this.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

I'd just like to add that there's some misinformation in the OP...

The STP movement is NOT an ETA 2824 clone in the full sense of the word. It is just engineered to "bolt in" to any space made for an ETA 2824. That is, it shares the same dimensions with the ETA and can fit in the same place an ETA would go, but the actual internal parts are NOT a copy of the ETA 2824 parts. As an example, you cannot take the gear train from the STP and put it into an ETA 2824, they won't match...

Honestly, this is a very, very GOOD thing. Now that ETA is scaling back supplying movements, I was starting to wonder what will happen with my Chris Ward C60 in 10 or 15 years....same with my Certina DS Action Diver. Now, there is an option: swap the movement to an STP. I'm pretty excited about this movement and I know Fossil has the money and motivation to do it right...I mean, did you read the article?? It's looking mighty nice...Citizen should probably re-think their "Hey let's raise prices on the 9015...AGAIN" strategy...
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Competition is always good. Glad the results are promising quality wise

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was wondering if there was any more detail about the relationship with Seagull. I know that Fossil Group's earlier efforts in the movement market like the cl-888 were thought to rely on Chinese parts assembled to meet the minimum Swiss-made requirements. But, they seem to be suggesting that this is new one easily meets the upcoming stricter definition and that it has design improvements that result from closer collaboration with the parts supplier(s).
    Last edited by watchNoob; July 22nd, 2016 at 19:18.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information