WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Royal Oak Homage?

138K views 132 replies 50 participants last post by  Reno 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a cheap alternative to the sweet styling AP Royal Oak? I want a watch that has the looks, but dont want to have to sell my body for a year to afford an actual AP.

(no replica AP's ofcourse, i prefer an homage)

Thanks in advance! :-!

#2 ·
Naples Watch had one just before they were shut down by Panerai. It was called the Melina. No idea if or when Naples is coming back though. This is one of his recent WUS threads about it:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=184759

PS re your sig, it's Newman - not Neuman.

#3 ·
Thank you on both accounts!

PS, do you recommend the alpha PN?

I think this melina is the perfect watch for me, its got a 7750 (i know its gotta be Chinese make), and its got the AP RO looks. Perfect!

Now, next question, where can i find one? :think:

#12 ·
Reactions: N.Caffrey
#6 · (Edited)
original retail of $895!!!!!

man, those naples watches seem very overpriced. probably 100% chinese materials. they look like replicas without the ap printed on them. :think:

#7 ·
those geneva watches look really close to the original. |>

#27 ·
This looks like the "Lucien Piccard Men's Sportif Black Strap Watch" which is available from Overstock for $144/£104.

#10 ·
Stuhrling Original and 32 Degrees, both TV brands, have quartz homages to them. The Stuhrling is the Apocalypse line and not sure of the name on the 32 degree line. The Sturhling is over $200 but fairly nice quartz piece and the 32 degree looks nice for under 100. I havent heard much feedback on the 32 degree piece.

#14 ·
It's an eBay brand I think. I've also seen Geneva branded Bell & Ross, Panerai, etc watches on there. All quartz though.

#16 ·
Those Geneva's look pretty nice, yet I haven't been able to find them on eBay or anywhere. Anyone have a model name/number or resource where I could pick one up?

Thanks in advance

#17 ·
Thanks guys! i dont know why i even ask y'all to help me find a new watch, i know i shouldnt since you always seem to feed this addiction! next time i ask yell at me with a new stern "no!" and "dominik, your our friends, we want to talk about your addiction" :-d

Im straying away from quartz (except G's), and i dont like skeleton watches. Does anyone have any clue as to where i might find that melina brand? naples is gone :-(.

Hey, kiwidj, got an homage to match your real AP? if so hows it stack up weight-wise?

#18 ·
Does anyone have any clue as to where i might find that melina brand? naples is gone :-(.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy behind Naples (I think his name was Mike?) still has a lot of watches lying around he can't currently sell online until he's done with the suit. Try PMing him on this board, maybe you can make a sweet deal?

As for the Newman: Yes, very very much one of my favourite watches, in fact probably the most worn watch I have. It goes well with anything, on the proper strap it can be casual, semi-dressy, sporty, etc. Just check the bezel and chrono hands when you receive the watch (the bezel should be straight - ie 60 at 12 and 120 at 6. Mine isn't... and all the hands should align to straight up) and prepare to be dissapointed by the bracelet. IMHO, it sucks. I recommend a nice brown gator with deployant :)

#19 ·
I tried PM'ing him already a few days ago. No response. Probably involved with the suit or something. oh well.

If any of you spot the naples royal oak homage (or a Alpha PN) please PM me.

thanks again for all the input fellas! Enjoy the weekend

#20 ·
#23 ·
#29 ·
#35 ·

this is amazing. but the clear really looks cheap when its not on a G-Shock.

Still looking for a auto or handwind one. still cant get ahold of napleswatch to see if i can get a melina.

oh well at least my G-Shock obsession has me preoccupied! :-d

#41 ·
Well I did it...I went ahead and bought the Croton quartz version mentioned here. SNBC dropped the price to $60 with free shipping. I picked up the blue as I have loads of black watches already [trying to be a LITTLE different!]...I've had good luck with SNBC so far [ordered a few things here and there] so I hope it continues with this one, at the least I can return it if it's not what I expect.

It has a Miyota quartz chrono in it, which know was a deal breaker for some...but for the styling and price, why not right?

#49 ·
Just an update. I received the Croton R.O. style piece today...and I am about to head to the post office to return it. It's a nice enough looking watch, but as you can see in the picture below the bezel [non-rotating] is not lined up properly with the dial position.

Its kind of hard to see if you aren't looking for it, but you can see the crown is not centered between the two bezel screws [it's slightly turned to the right]. The funny thing is one of the reviews I read for this watch mentioned that actual issue [what are the chances I got the same watch that was returned?...pretty damn good...it was from SNBC]. So a big thanks to whoever that was that mentioned that initially.

This was my first and last Croton experience. Just a friendly warning.

#50 ·
Sorry to here about your first experience with croton but dont make it your last maybe this one wasnt a keeper but im sure there will be others that will.:)

PS The Shop is sometimes a hit&Miss

Just an update. I received the Croton R.O. style piece today...and I am about to head to the post office to return it. It's a nice enough looking watch, but as you can see in the picture below the bezel [non-rotating] is not lined up properly with the dial position.

Its kind of hard to see if you aren't looking for it, but you can see the crown is not centered between the two bezel screws [it's slightly turned to the right]. The funny thing is one of the reviews I read for this watch mentioned that actual issue [what are the chances I got the same watch that was returned?...pretty damn good...it was from SNBC]. So a big thanks to whoever that was that mentioned that initially.

This was my first and last Croton experience. Just a friendly warning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.