Rules of engagement for bargaining/Haggling with a jeweller to drop prices!!!
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Rules of engagement for bargaining/Haggling with a jeweller to drop prices!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rules of engagement for bargaining/Haggling with a jeweller to drop prices!!!

Hey Watch Enthusiasts,
    I thought it may be interesting to share bargaining techniques used on high street jewellers in order to get better prices like hypnosis and such!!! I know online purchases generally save money; however most jewellers will haggle where they can drop a set amount off a watch dependent upon its advertised price.

I was looking at Seiko watches in a jeweller with a retail price of 400 and was willingly to drop 100 off. Is there a mathematical formula to deduce how much a jeweller may be willing to slash based on their advertised price on watches up to 500?

Certain watches may have minimal saving when purchased online so the alternative of paying a little more to get to examine the watch and check the clasp is working well or any visible markings bears some consideration. Now this peace of mind is reassuring especially for anyone who has had personal experience of getting a defective product online and the hassle it inevitably brings. It’s just a though really anyone that wants to vent fire away!!

Re: Rules of engagement for bargaining/Haggling with a jeweller to drop prices!!!

I always ask the person to quote me a price. When they do I take out a small piece of paper and write a response on it and hand it to the person. The paper usually says something like, "I don't like you" or "I am going to ask what price I can buy it for again, don't make me ask a 3rd time."

Re: Rules of engagement for bargaining/Haggling with a jeweller to drop prices!!!

I think the amount that a dealer can discount a watch is dependent on the profit margin within that model, so discounts will vary from brand to brand and from sector to sector. At the higher-end, I've found (through protracted dealings with an honest AD) that 15% off RRP is the maximum I can realistically get whilst still making it worth the AD's while. Some grey dealers will go further, of course, but then the risks are higher.

In any negotiation, the more information you have about the watch you're buying, the better. It pays to know what other dealers are selling for, what offers are on, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kipLightning View Post
    I always ask the person to quote me a price. When they do I take out a small piece of paper and write a response on it and hand it to the person. The paper usually says something like, "I don't like you" or "I am going to ask what price I can buy it for again, don't make me ask a 3rd time."
    ...and then you get asked to leave :)
    Perdendosi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kipLightning View Post
    I can confidently say that this is a poor approach.
    Perdendosi likes this.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

In my experience jewellers dont seem interested in bargaining at all, they expect you to pay RRP. I suspect its different in the US due to higher competition there though.

Under 500 and I wouldn't expect much room to manoeuvre at all. It never hurts to ask though.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Hey thanks for the replies, some places seem to expect the retail price alight, hell maybe there is some secret code like Dolphin clicks!!

firearms often go a long way toward getting me the discount i feel i deserve.

LTR

I think the best way to start the conversation is to simply ask if there is a better price is your willing to pay cash.
    OvrSteer likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information