Are Seiko Watches Over Priced
Like Tree382Likes

Thread: Are Seiko Watches Over Priced

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Are Seiko Watches Over Priced

By now the first person has thrown an object at the screen and accused me of trolling. The reality is that Seiko have been in their comfort zone for some years, and now need to look around them.

I have owned many Seiko watches over the years, and still own a couple now. When I have a gap in my watch box I now no longer look at Seiko, but why? I shall use my SKX009 for reference. The SKX is an ISO tested 200m diver with a classic look. On the downside it has an easy scratchable Hardlex crystal, a rubbish bezel, a bracelet that feels like it came off a £10 watch, and the movement is inaccurate, and doesn't hack or hand wind. Go to your local jewler and they will want the best part of £300 of your child's inheritance in order they can wrap one up for you. So what are the alternatives? From the same group in steps Orient. Unfortunately I don't think Orient are available in UK high street stores, but are easily available on line. For a hundred pounds less I can buy a 200m WR Kamasu with a sapphire crystal, a better bezel, and an accurate movement that hacks and hand winds. Unfortunately the bracelet is no better. Get on a plane at Tokyo and in no time you are in China. Heimdallr Sharkey produce Seiko homages that aren't just half the price, they are twice the watch. A well finished 316L case, a much nicer bezel, a far better bracelet that has solid end links, unlike Seiko's and Orient's, and Ironically a Seiko movement that is better than the one used in the Seiko. Of course, Seiko also make quartz watches, so in step Phoibos. My £100 300m WR Phoibos has a sapphire window, a Swiss Ronda movement, a bezel that feels like it came off a Rolex, and a bracelet that looks like it came off a luxury brand watch. Put a Seiko badge on this watch and quadruple the price.

Seiko know there is a generation that will stick with them through thick and thin, but generations die off. The planet has a global economy, and the desperation to buy watches from Switzerland or Japan will lesson. After all, who refuses to buy an iPhone because it is made in China? Compare the value for money Seiko offer compared with any luxury brand and they win hands down, but I believe Seiko need to start looking behind them !!

Ard

Re: Are Seiko Watches Over Priced

Just answering the title question I'd say some models are. I think any watches much past $3000.00 are venturing into overpriced but then I'm on the frugal side of the watch thing compared to some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I think any watches much past $3000.00 are venturing into overpriced
    So does it mean Rolex watches are overpriced?
    Zzyzx likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I realise they can be overpriced in 2 ways.

1. Most Dealers who are selling the discontinued models have increased the price of these models. There are some dealers who are still selling at original price.

2. For the specs such as nh35 or 6r15, some models like the new monsters for example are overpriced, at least in my country. In my opinion most of the midrange affordable prospex models are over priced.

3. The exception is the seiko turtle which in my country are still priced reasonably.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
    Zzyzx and Spirit of the Watch like this.

The relevant part is "with a classic look". You can't objectively compare watches when there are subjective and intangible things at play.

Is a pig ugly watch with amazing specs and finish worth more than a gorgeous watch with mediocre finish and specs? Not to me.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by buzzfxpro View Post
    I realise they can be overpriced in 2 ways.

1. Most Dealers who are selling the discontinued models have increased the price of these models. There are some dealers who are still selling at original price.

2. For the specs such as nh35 or 6r15, some models like the new monsters for example are overpriced, at least in my country. In my opinion most of the midrange affordable prospex models are over priced.

3. The exception is the seiko turtle which in my country are still priced reasonably.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
    In the UK a Seiko Turtle is over £300, and the spec is half of the Heimdallr, which sells at half of the price of the Seiko.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    The relevant part is "with a classic look". You can't objectively compare watches when there are subjective and intangible things at play.

Is a pig ugly watch with amazing specs and finish worth more than a gorgeous watch with mediocre finish and specs? Not to me.
    I accept your point, but a Heimdallr Turtle looks as good as a Seiko Turtle, is half the price with twice the spec.
    Chronopolis and X2-Elijah like this.

Agreed. They are slowly creeping up in prices and they still haven't fixed their main issues such as stamped clasps and misalignment between dial and chapter ring.

For a $1000 the Sbdc 051, 061 are and even the new Sumos are perfect examples of this.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    leastonh, Robotaz, Zzyzx and 1 others like this.

In general, yes. They used to represent good value for money before the chinese came along. Even when you go over $500 some models have very questionable build quality for me to represent good value. But brand bias is so strong in this hobby that it doesn't really matter. Seiko charge what they do because people will pay it.
    leastonh, Zzyzx and mleok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post

Exactly. I'm not a spec sheet buyer. Why? I'm not a diver, I understand the limitations of an affordable, and whatever differences that exist in the SKX price range are negligible (to me at least). As mentioned above, I will take the classic design even if it costs a bit more. I wear watches not spec sheets.
    Munchie, docvail and Zzyzx like this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    G Shock: MTG-B1000D-1A,
    GW-9400-3, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-1, GX-56BB, GG-B100, GW-B5600GZ-1, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-M5610MW-7JF, GW-M5610MD-7JF, GW-B5600BC-1ER, GW-B5600-2ER, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600AR-1, GW-5000-1JF, GM-5600B-3, GA-2100-4AER, DW-5600SK-1, DW-5600SB-2, DW-5600SB-3, DW-5600SB-4, DW-5600Keith19-4, DW-5600CMA-9DR

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information