Seriously, TimeFactors...?
Like Tree887Likes

Thread: Seriously, TimeFactors...?

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Seriously, TimeFactors...?

Right, so I was checking in with FB groups and someone posted in one of the Microbrand groups about 3 new releases from Timefactors. I was initially pretty psyched because there will apparently be a new 36mm Speedbird, and 40mm Seiko 6105 "Willard" homage.

So I check out the FB page, and WTF?!?

And then head over to TimeZone to see a relevant thread: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ototypes-today

Which led again to a serious WTF?!? moment on my end.

Why WTF?!?, you might ask?

This:

Name:  NTH-LOGO2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  220.9 KB

Apparently New Time Horology is a potential brand he mentioned in a forum thread in 2009. But dropped plans to market watches under that brand to acquire the Smiths brand name. With these three new releases, Eddie Platts is reviving it and has apparently trademarked the name and logo in the UK (filing date of July 2019).

This, in my opinion, is a perfect example of what constitutes A Dick Move, the hallmark of a first class doosh. Because this:

Name:  NTH logo.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  60.7 KB

There is already the Speedbird brand. There is already the Dreadnought brand. A previous, larger rendition of the Willard was offered under the Smiths brand. An umbrella company already exists for all these brands, TimeFactors. A bit later in the TimeZone thread, Eddie says he will not be printing his logo on the dial of the watch, but it will apparently still be etched into the case back and he is moving ahead with marketing of the New Times Horology brand.

I've been interested in Smiths and TimeFactors watches for a while. If the Speedbird GMT had been still available when I ran across them, I'd probably already own one. If their Explorer homages had a date, I'd already be there, same thing for their hand-wind models. And as much as I like the upcoming 36mm Speedbird and the smaller Willard homage... nah. Pass. Won't support the efforts of some dickhead looking to create problems within the microbrand community. Not going to countenance trademark infringement or contribute in any way to supporting such efforts.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Re: Seriously, TimeFactors...?

Oh dip!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I must admit to being a bit perplexed by this move. We all know what a NTH is (nice watches Doc) and they will never be anything else. Likewise we all know what a Smiths is so why confuse matters?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post

This, in my opinion, is a perfect example of what constitutes A Dick Move, the hallmark of a first class doosh. Because this:

DITTO!!
    ... What time is it? ...

This is laughable, it seems being original isn’t really his thing.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

Quote Originally Posted by wtma View Post
    This is laughable, it seems being original isn’t really his thing.
    We can help him with new names?

No Thanks Horology
    mconlonx, Ragl, praetor47 and 12 others like this.
    ... What time is it? ...

A right muddle & thumb in the eye where none was required..
    drumcairn and ObiWonWD40 like this.

I saw that too. I gotta say, I'm completely confused as to why this was done. Even if we're being completely generous and assume this was done without any knowledge of the established NTH brand, I just don't understand why an owner would want to muddy his brand recognition further when there are no fewer than 4 brand names being used to sell your watches already, AND you currently have one umbrella brand (Timefactors) that has been used for years and most people know.

At worst, this was done deliberately and maliciously, but even then I don't understand why. Almost no WIS is going to confuse what timefactors is selling with what Doc is proffering, and you only serve to alienate the established customers of the NTH brand that you set out to "win over" (read: dupe).

I guess maybe Doc has gotten mainstream enough that there are enough customers in the general public searching for his watches that this could stand to be a net gain for Timefactors?

No idea, I'm just confused.
    "10:08:37"

I'm not here to pass judgement. As an additional data point, I'm in the microbrands watches FB group. Both he and Doc are very active there and there's no possible way Eddie wouldn't be very familiar with NTH / Janis Trading companies. Eddie's communications often come off as abrasive and brusque online, to my mind. That's the only window I have into his personality, but he presents himself that way intentionally or unintentionally.
    Tjcdas, drumcairn, mike120 and 2 others like this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

The guy running Timefactors is, quite frankly, a bona fide humanoid phallus.

Here's what happened to a customer who wanted to get his watch repaired: https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...turns_into_my/ (tl;dr: Timefactors owner straight up threatened and doxxed the now ex-customer )
    cortman, Cobia, mike120 and 5 others like this.
    Outgoing: Obris Morgan Seastar 60s
    Wearing: E.C.A Calypso Sport
    Incoming: mystery watch A
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information