State Of The Collection... after 7 years on WUS [Beware: Modem incinerator]
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: State Of The Collection... after 7 years on WUS [Beware: Modem incinerator]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

State Of The Collection... after 7 years on WUS [Beware: Modem incinerator]

I wanted to buy some new watches, and I already have TOO many, so I thought it was a good idea to get rid of some un-lucky, un-loved, un-worn pieces that only collect dust and make me feel guilty...
    So I decided to count my watches, and I found...
    1) 22 "keepers", they are the ones that I wear often and I like the most;
    2) 10 "collectible" watches, mostly soviet era watches that usually sit in the drawer... I won't sell them because they are getting rarer, and I like them so they are occasionally worn (like once or twice in a year)
    3) 10 "fun watches" these are mostly $25 mushroom cheapos but nice enough to wear "for a change" (yeah like I have not enough watches yet ) or as beaters.
    4) 4 "family" watches that I inherited... they have sentimental value, but they aren't really part of the collection.
    For a total of 46 watches... but only half of them really counts so it's OK!!!
    I think I've pretty much all basis covered and way more than I'll ever need... but still sometimes I find something special enough to add.
    After seven years of collecting I think this is also a good occasion for a SOTC thread...

Many of the keepers are in the showcase... hell since 22 are keepers, 6 of them are to be found in a drawer somewhere and it took me a few minutes to locate them all!!!

And here ALL the watches, more or less in the same order I bought them (or received as gift)

1. Oscillation [keeper]

This was the first I bought, and doing some research I found WUS too...

2. Poljot Alarm [keeper]

3. Nighthawk [keeper]

4. Seiko Monster [keeper]

5. Aristo Sextant [keeper]

6. Seagull Airforce 1963 reissoe [keeper]

7. Poljot Shturmanskie SS-18 [keeper]

8. Shturmanskie Sputnik [keeper]

9. Think The Earth wn-1 [keeper]

10. Seiko Mickey Mouse Chronograph [keeper]

11. Stowa Antea 390 [keeper]

12. Buran Rosegold Alarm [keeper]

13. Davidsen Radiomir sterile homage [keeper]

14. Hamilton Khaki Pioneer [keeper]

15. Vostok Amphibia Ministry [keeper]

16. Beijing BWAF BeiHai 50th [keeper]

17. Swatch Random Ghost [keeper]

18. Swatch Ramarro [keeper]

19. Incoming: Luch GL-1 [keeper]
    Name:  gl1-09.jpg
Views: 2685
Size:  138.1 KB

20. Casio G-Shock G-8900SC-6ER "Devastator" [keeper]

21. Incoming: Casio G-Shock GA-110AC-7ER "Captain America" [keeper]
    Name:  GA-110AC-7AJF_2.jpg
Views: 6020
Size:  292.9 KB

22. Poljot Shturmanskie Airforce Silver dial (CCCP era) [keeper]

23. Poljot Shturmanskie Airforce Grey dial (CCCP era) [collectible]

24. Vostok Komandirskie Rising Star (CCCP era) [collectible]

25. Raketa Worldtime 24h [collectible]

26. Vostok Amphibia Radio Room (CCCP era) [collectible]

27. Vostok Komandirskie Paratrooper (CCCP era) [collectible]

28. Vostok Komandirskie Paratrooper 2h (CCCP era) [collectible]

29. Vostok Komandirskie Tankist 2h (CCCP era) [collectible]

30. Vostok Komandirskie (CCCP era) [collectible]

31. Vostok Komandirskie Submarine (CCCP era) [collectible]

32. Vostok Amphibia USSR Navy (CCCP era) [collectible]

33. HMT Pilot [fun watch]

34. Slava [fun watch]

35. Luminor GMT homage [fun watch]

36. Portugese homage [fun watch]

37. Plastic Sub homage 1 [fun watch]

38. Plastic Sub homage 2 [fun watch]

39. Cronomatic homage [fun watch]

40. Silver Chronograph [family]
    Name:  silver_papa.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  254.1 KB

41. Seiko Digital [family]

42. Seiko Digital [family]
    Like #41 just silver instead of black

43. Citizen Analog [family]
    Last edited by CCCP; September 21st, 2013 at 00:25.
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

Re: State Of The Collection... after 7 years on WUS [Beware: Modem incinerator]

Nice collection dude! I was planning to make a similar thread myself but you beat me to it! Funny to read how much watches you can acquire and seem to care about in some way in a relatively short amount of time(i mean you are talking about keepers, collectibles, family and fun; basically you are saying you need to keep all :P). Very recognisable! Always an excuse1 Haha...

What I found remarkable is that there are few Chinese pieces. Maybe you should add another Seagull? Also no classic Flieger yet. You dont like those?

Thank you for this thread! You have a very interesting mix of watches and I really enjoy seeing what you have collected.

What are your top three/five watches and why...and what is next on your "must have" list? Inquiring minds want to know!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ninzeo View Post
    Nice collection dude! I was planning to make a similar thread myself but you beat me to it!
    Thank you!
    Make your own thread too... there is plenty of space for everyone to post his watches

basically you are saying you need to keep all :P). Very recognisable! Always an excuse1 Haha...
    Yep, that's the point

What I found remarkable is that there are few Chinese pieces. Maybe you should add another Seagull? Also no classic Flieger yet. You dont like those?
    For Chinese I'm quite happy with the BeiHai and the 1963, while the Aristo is somewhat flieger inspired... a Stowa B-dial would be welcome but it's expensive so I didn't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Horoticus View Post
    Thank you for this thread! You have a very interesting mix of watches and I really enjoy seeing what you have collected.
    Thank you!!!

What are your top three/five watches and why...and what is next on your "must have" list? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Choosing a few "top" favorites is a bit difficult, but I'd say ThinkTheEarth, Volmax Sputnik, and my Dad's Gold chronograph, with one of my Swatches or G-Shock as a fourth. I mostly like colourful and un-conventional timepieces, but every watch in my collection is someway "special", because I flipped all the ones I thought of as "ordinary" (or even not interesting enough).
    I don't have a proper "must have" list, but sometimes I find another "special" watch and I can't help buying it. A good example is the Luch GL-1 one-handed... I often considered one-handed watches, but either weren't interesting enough or they were too expensive, until one day I see this picture and I know it's the right one. Same thing with my G-Shocks, I waited for years, because I'm not a fan of Black/White digitals and I'm picky when it comes to colors but in a few weeks I found 2 of them I liked.
    Hopefully for a long time I won't add newer watches...
    Perdendosi likes this.
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

Ecelectic is the best word I can think of!
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Wow awesome collection. Thanks for sharing.

Holy smokes! You have one great collection there. My personal favorites are your Beijing Behai, Poljot alarm, Stowa Antea, and Raketa WorldTimer, Orange Amphibia Ministry, and Black Monster.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

You have a great collection. Very diverse in terms of looks and age. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed looking at all the Russian watches!

Wow! Very, very nice collection! I've never seen the Sputnik before. My heart started racing and I got sweaty palms seeing it. I think I'm in love!

I love your collection, especially the diversity and eclectic cool funky stuff. I have always had a fondness for the arty fringe of watches. I think "Think the Earth" has been the hardest temptation I keep trying to avoid because of the size. I have pondered doing one of these SOTC threads, but I haven't found the time to pull it all together lately. I keep trying to downsize, then something else comes wandering in. It's a constantly shifting landscape. Maybe I'll do one of these at the end of the year, just to put a peg in the hole.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information