Sturdy but light (analog)
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sturdy but light (analog)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sturdy but light (analog)

Can anyone think of a good watch that fits this description? I'd prefer something METAL, even base metal would be fine. And I think it might be better if the crystal was acrylic.
    THICK acrylic of course. :)

I think the vintage everyday (dressier) watches of the 60's and 70's probably were designed that way because men wanted lighter watches. Right now Vostok is the only one that fits that description but the Amphibian has an even sturdier case.
    The only thing lacking is the crystal is not quite as protected. But I assume that would require more metal to protect the bezel better?
    It's almost ideal though, because the acrylic is so easy to repair if scuffed.

One of the best plastic analog watches I ever had was the Casio Forester. It had the good protected acrylic crystal, and it just looked good. No moving bezels. I used to get compliments.
    But there was something about it that I didn't like. Maybe it had a short battery life. That was the one flaw. Otherwise it looked great.

So, does anyone understand what I'm looking for? Are there any other affordables that could fit into this design? Is there a design that just hasn't been made yet?
    (Obviously there are already plenty of plastic digitals that fit. Which is why I usually end up wearing digital.)
    ShockMister

Re: Sturdy but light (analog)

Soooo let me get this straight, you want a light (so quartz) watch with a metal case and a plexi crystal. Max Bill quartz has a plexi crystal so would fit that description. The Timex Q reissues would also fit the bill, in particular the falcon eye

What style and budget are you looking at?

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk
    ShockMister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woiter View Post
    Soooo let me get this straight, you want a light (so quartz) watch with a metal case and a plexi crystal. Max Bill quartz has a plexi crystal so would fit that description. The Timex Q reissues would also fit the bill, in particular the falcon eye

What style and budget are you looking at?

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk
    Under $90.
    ShockMister

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Instead of trying to find something in steel (i.e. base metal) with an acrylic crystal, maybe you should be looking at something made of TITANIUM with a sturdier crystal. The weight should be similar.
    Take for example the BertucciA-2T Super Classic - titanium case with a sapphire crystal and weighs in at 54 grams (which is apparently 1.9 ounces in some archaic, nonsensical system of measure).
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Sounds nice, but I'm just not a fan of either titanium or sapphire. I'm more "old school" when it comes to watch designs.

I think that maybe Timex has the best two watches out right now. (1) Weekender, and (2) Easy-Reader.
    I like how the case is built up over the crystal, or at least even with it. Maybe this design is hard to beat.

I bought one of the steel Weekenders a few years ago because I think it had a thicker mineral crystal. It's pretty nice. It looks good too, but very different from the usual Weekender.
    ShockMister

Here is another case design where I think Timex hit the jackpot. I like the protected crown. And it is fairly light in spite of the sturdy base metal case and thick mineral crystal. Maybe the dial could use some work.

https://d1a7lpeaf2zz38.cloudfront.ne...ield-watch.jpg
    Synequano likes this.
    ShockMister

Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post

I think that maybe Timex has the best two watches out right now. (1) Weekender, and (2) Easy-Reader.
    I like how the case is built up over the crystal, or at least even with it. Maybe this design is hard to beat.
    hoping thiis one does not become a 30+ non sense discussion.. here you go. First of all.. neither the Weekender or the Easy Reader.. I would consider Sturdy.
    Great watches for what they are... to be at the office or movies... not Sturdy.

ER Pop by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ER OEM Strap by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Awesome by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ER by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

My first recommendation would be the Timex Scout Chrono.. which is built like a Tank

Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

if you really want G shock standards. the Gallatin.. or the Timex Shock which are at around 40 bucks.. are great!! even though they are resin.

you can find plenty of Waterbury's that are usually over $100 for less than $60 bucks... there are plenty of Chronos.. or 3 handers with think dome crystals. The subseconds .. I found it under a Hamilton.
    W’bury by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

lastly.. any of the INtelligent Quartz ... are Stainless Steel with much better craftmanship this is the up tier.. and can be found for under $100 and are a great value.

This one was under $60 and of the favorites of all the TX herd

King of the Hill by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

if you want to look other than Timex.. Lorus and Bertucci are great brands that offer your specs.

Good Luck!
    ... What time is it? ...

Lorus or maybe even an Alba?
    -Are we having fun yet?
    https://audiolesswpg.blogspot.com/

If you really want to stay with the acrylic crystal.. .then you can go for the Mk1 Aluminum

Aluminum Case... Acrylic THICK Crystal.. and the finishing is superb... they were on sale not long ago at the Timex site

Mk1 Alum by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ShockMister and Synequano like this.
    ... What time is it? ...

The Timex Camper reissue might be up your alley. I think they did both plastic and aluminum versions. The The Expedition Acadia is a bigger plastic cased model. And I think the other Expeditions, like the Scout, are brass.

Honorable mention must go to the Casio MRW-200H. So light and comfortable, and still 100m WR (at least claimed). I had one that never lost or gained a second until the battery died. Unfortunately it didn't have a long battery life.
    ShockMister and Synequano like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information