SUG watch a scam?

Thread: SUG watch a scam?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SUG watch a scam?

Ok has many classics signs of a scam over inflated msrp by x15, ramblings of history like that means anything and hardly any information on there watches lol. China leather straps so i assume china built. Why dont they talk about there great factory building $5 watches and paying there people $5 a day.

Re: SUG watch a scam?

I believe $5 a day is a fairly good wage in China....don't know for sure. That said, I believe SUG is a "made for the Internet" brand with inflated MSRP and substantially lower prices that the watch may (or may not) be worth.....kinda like "made for SNBC watch show" Renato brand. I have a friend that had a red dial SUG and it seemd "okay"...not my tastes, but for the less than $200 he paid for it, acceptable.
    "Find the little bastards......and then pile on!" Maj Gen George S Patton IV

Honored & Proud Member, "G5" (Disdained by the intellectually dishonest!)

There's a whole bunch of brands that appear to be marketed by the same outfit: Bernouli, Louis Bolle, S.U.G., Rosseau, Picard et Cie...

They all have very similar web pages that ramble on about some 16th century watch-maker and try their damndest to make you think it's a Swiss watch without actually claiming so. If you dig deep enough, they all have the same address somewhere in Texas as the distribution HQ. The only place I've ever seen them easily available is on the ubid auction site. I think most of the brands were once legitimate Swiss houses that went bust for one reason or another. The names are being resurrected by this outfit to try and garner some credibility.

I bought a Viceroy from them a year or so ago. It's a nice enough sub-$100 watch, but nothing more than that. Certainly not worth anything like the $1200 MSRP that was claimed! :-D
    Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not a scam per se. Of course, the MSRP and history are nonsense, but the actual watches seem fine for the price (that is, the price you actually pay, not the absurd retail). I paid a total of $88 (shipped) for one of their red-dialed Nautilus models, and at that price point, I'm pretty pleased with it: tritium tube lume (as good as my Luminox), brand name automatic movement (Citizen), decent construction (though I have no idea if the claimed 300m water resistance is anywhere near accurate). I've had it for a few months now and no problems with it thus far. Chinese-made or not, you can't really expect much more for $88.

Quote Originally Posted by KenC
    I believe $5 a day is a fairly good wage in China....don't know for sure.
    In the mid to late eighties it was a fabulous wage. Chinese professionals earned about $30 per month at the geophysical processing center where I was a "foreign expert" for 4 years, and the supervisors pulled down a princely $35 a month.

However, their food and housing was subsidized (dorm bed for singles and luxurious 15x15 apt. with a bare 40 watt bulb for marrieds). And they had a half hour time slot for the showers once a week - whether they used it or not.

I hope things have changed a bit by now.
    Last edited by leewmeister; October 20th, 2006 at 19:14.
    Lee Meister
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by leewmeister
    There's a whole bunch of brands that appear to be marketed by the same outfit: Bernouli, Louis Bolle, S.U.G., Rosseau, Picard et Cie...

They all have very similar web pages that ramble on about some 16th century watch-maker and try their damndest to make you think it's a Swiss watch without actually claiming so. If you dig deep enough, they all have the same address somewhere in Texas as the distribution HQ. The only place I've ever seen them easily available is on the ubid auction site. I think most of the brands were once legitimate Swiss houses that went bust for one reason or another. The names are being resurrected by this outfit to try and garner some credibility.

I bought a Viceroy from them a year or so ago. It's a nice enough sub-$100 watch, but nothing more than that. Certainly not worth anything like the $1200 MSRP that was claimed! :-D
    I actually own a Balmer.........same company that produses most of the other brands you mention (out of Texas, I believe), but strangely enough, it is a very nice Swiss piece with sapphire crystal, ETA 2824-2 and nicely engraved case on solid end link SS deployant bracelet.....all for $175 ($4995.00 MSRP:-D ) from Lynn a couple of years ago! It was a take off of an A. Lange & Sohne.

The A. Lange & Sohne

Are those genuine Swarovski crystals on the dial? :-D
    Lee Meister
    Houston, Texas

In the mid to late eighties it was a fabulous wage. Chinese professionals earned about $30 per month at the geophysical processing center where I was a "foreign expert" for 4 years, and the supervisors pulled down a princely $35 a month.

However, their food and housing was subsidized (dorm bed for singles and luxurious 15x15 apt. with a bare 40 watt bulb for marrieds). And they had a half hour time slot for the showers once a week - whether they used it or not.

Well, maybe it's up to $10 a day now! :-D My point was that when we hear about wages in other countries, we tend to compare them to our own economy and standards and immediately jump tosome erroneous conclusions. What may seem like "slave wages" to us, may be a fairly reasonable amount elsewhere....after all, it is not the amount of money one is paid, but what they can purchase with it. As I recall, when I graduated from college, a family that made $10k - $11k a year was in the upper 5% income bracket in the US. Now, you have to make that every month to attain that status!

I also recall seeing some "counter-demonstration" against Americans (USA) in South America who were down there demonstrating against US companies for what they considered low wages......the crux of the counter-demonstration was basically, "go away......these are decent wages to us and without it, we would have no jobs at all and could not feed our families".

I have had my eye on this Balmer for a couple years, but with hte blue dial. I'm glad to hear you like it. I may now make a more serious effort to grab one.

But, I'm disappointed in you, Ken. Not a negative word to be found in your post. Aren't you going going to at least ..... about the Asian assembled gold 2824 movement?

Have you seen their Unitas movement model? It looks rather nice as well for being around $200.00.

I actually own a Balmer.........same company that produses most of the other brands you mention (out of Texas, I believe), but strangely enough, it is a very nice Swiss piece with sapphire crystal, ETA 2824-2 and nicely engraved case on solid end link SS deployant bracelet.....all for $175 ($4995.00 MSRP:-D ) from Lynn a couple of years ago! It was a take off of an A. Lange & Sohne.

Off topic Chinese wages...

I believe $5 a day is a fairly good wage in China....don't know for sure. [...[

Well, here's the actual situation as of today...

First, the "rule of thumb" exchange rate is USD 1 = RMB 8. Based on the above assumed USD 5 per day this gives RMB 40 a day or RMB 960 (USD 120) a month for an industrial worker with a 6-day week. This is realistic, food and housing are still subsidized as mentioned above.
    In some provinces the law sets the minum wage for industrial workers as low as RMB 600. However, in Shanghai the minimum wage for an industrial worker is up to fabulous RMB 1200 now.

A "professional" as mentioned above can make up to RMB 8000 or more per month.

An uneducated construction worker (the guy swinging the showel or the broom) can be as low as RMB 10 (USD 1.25) per day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information