"Swiss Made", "In-House" - what do they mean at this price point?
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: "Swiss Made", "In-House" - what do they mean at this price point?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

"Swiss Made", "In-House" - what do they mean at this price point?

In my few years as a collector, these two terms have been used a lot. What do they mean at the affordable price point (<$1,000)?

I don't say this to insult anyone who values these terms differently than I do. In fact, I hope to learn from the potential conversation.

Don't they just mean:

Swiss Made: "We popped an entry level, mass produced ETA in it".
    In-House: "Instead of popping a mass produced ETA in it, we used our own mass-produced movement."

I think these labels mean something different, and more, when we get to higher price brackets. But why is a watch housing an entry level ETA something to mention on the dial? What does the history of the Swiss Watch industry have to do with me plopping down $200 for the Swatch Group's equivalent of the Big Mac (fast food burger), and sticking it in a case?

On the opposite end, "In-House" is starting to lose it's luster for me, too. I've always enjoyed knowing which of my watches were "in-house"; I took pride in it. But why? What does it really mean? Orient, Seiko, Vostok, among others, mass-produce automatic watch movements. Why should that matter to me? These companies are also stuffing their floor level movements in trendy fashion watches left and right.

I guess I've come to the following conclusion: Searching for, and buying "history" at this price point, is fools gold. Thoughts? And feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

ETA: We don't do this with other purchases, do we? A lot of once quality, influential car companies are putting out average, to below average products today. When people collect classic cars, they seek the originals. They don't buy a Chevy Prism, just to say they own a "Chevy", as it the new car has anything to do with the classic muscle cars of old.
    Last edited by coop; November 19th, 2013 at 16:52.
    MM300
    Darth Tuna
    SAGA171

Inactive

Re: "Swiss Made", "In-House" - what do they mean at this price point?

As far as I know Swiss Made means the product was finished in Switzerland. So Swatch probably produces almost their entite movement somewhere else, and puts it together in Switzerland and tags their watches as 'Swiss Made'.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Personally, I don't pay attention to anything modern with the word "Swiss" on the dial. If I happen to like a modern "Swiss" watch, that's another story. I just don't actively seek them out or feel this "country of 'origin'" means much anymore. I'd rather have a watch with "China Made", "Made in Japan", or "India" on the dial. Vintage is another story.

I'll let one of the more longwinded members elaborate on the terminology... my yoghurt and granola is getting soggy.

Randy
    Last edited by theinterchange; November 19th, 2013 at 17:43.
    Hoonnu, Jaded Albion and docvail like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't really care for "in house" movement, but "Swiss Made" usually implies good quality, and that's not always the case with some low-end asian movements.
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

In-house means nothing to me. I've said it before...anyone can make a bad engine.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I don't really care for "in house" movement, but "Swiss Made" usually implies good quality, and that's not always the case with some low-end asian movements.
    Good quality movement? I agree with that; the 2824-2 is a quality movement. You usually pay a fair price for it, though. But I've seen plenty of "Swiss Made" watches with poor fit and finish.
    MM300
    Darth Tuna
    SAGA171

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    Good quality movement? I agree with that; the 2824-2 is a quality movement. You usually pay a fair price for it, though. But I've seen plenty of "Swiss Made" watches with poor fit and finish.

There's a lot of Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, you name it, watches that have poor fit and finish. Just buy what you want. Let's not turn this into another battle thread.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    There's a lot of Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, you name it, watches that have poor fit and finish. Just buy what you want. Let's not turn this into another battle thread.
    I didn't intend to suggest otherwise, and harbor no ulterior motive behind my questions/comments.
    MM300
    Darth Tuna
    SAGA171

I know questioning these things can come off as condescending, but I don't mean to be.

I simply want to know, for those who find value in these terms, in this price range, what is it that they mean to you?
    Last edited by coop; November 19th, 2013 at 19:54.
    MM300
    Darth Tuna
    SAGA171

So you are asking what they mean for watches that cost less than $1000.

Swiss Made means they are largely made in Switzerland, and In-House movement means they make their own movement. The same thing they mean for watches over $1000.

Why do people put "Swiss Made" on the dial? Because people look for it and associate it with quality. Does it mean the watch is high quality? Maybe, maybe not. Ultimately it comes down to being something people will pay money for.
    winterwar likes this.
    Watches

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information