There is a Dive watch, Field watch, Pilot watch... but is there a Surf watch?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: There is a Dive watch, Field watch, Pilot watch... but is there a Surf watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

There is a Dive watch, Field watch, Pilot watch... but is there a Surf watch?

Well, the wave surfing season will probably open in a few month... and since i plan on getting the board wet, i was wondering -
    there are Dive watches for divers...
    there are Pilot watches for pilots...
    there are field watches for marshals ...

but, are there any Surf watch for surf-dudes?

Post your Surfer recommendation, remembering that it should be automatic, withstand the on going clash with the salty waters of the Mediterranean and occasional bump with a surf-board, sea-bottom or even other surf-dude...

Ravivos.

Re: There is a Dive watch, Field watch, Pilot watch... but is there a Surf watch?

I would go Orange. I´m no surfer and got no orange watches. But if i was a surfer I would pick up an orange diver.
    You got tons of them here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/ora...rs-280029.html

Re: There is a Dive watch, Field watch, Pilot watch... but is there a Surf watch?

A solar G-shock sounds like it's best adapted to the use case of surfing. I'd certainly recommend a rubber strap over a bracelet that could cut into your wrist, and a resin case and acrylic crystal are less likely to damage the board, as well as probably being able to absorb more punishment than a metal dive watch. And solar because you have all that daylight to power your timekeeping.
    mk.ultra likes this.
    "I admit, I have bought watches twice, because I forgot I already had one...." - Ray916MN

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Funny you should mention this just a few days ago i came across a new company Bausele
    they claim to be Australian and the surf watch has a tide feature and moon faze they also do fishing and sailing watches
    although they are all Quartz they are at least a SWISS quarts and have a 200m WR ! check e'm out !!!

Coolrunnings Dude!
    Grandpa ! when were you in the Navy ?

" Arrr me lad , Twas back in the day when Ships were made of WOOD and the men were made of STEEL "

Quote Originally Posted by Ravivos View Post

...But, are there any Surf watch for surf-dudes?

Ravivos.
    In fact, there are, the G-Shock GWX5600 is but one example: Surf's Up! GWX-5600-1JF Washed Ashore

The brands that always come to my mind when I think of beach and surf are Bali Hai and Rip Curl. Unfortunately the only automatic that I could find from Rip Curl was a dress watch.

I like the orange diver suggestion mentioned. Seiko Orange Monsters look to me like they are made to take a bit of abuse.

Name:  SKX781-b.jpg
Views: 2807
Size:  64.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
    I would go Orange. I´m no surfer and got no orange watches. But if i was a surfer I would pick up an orange diver.
    You got tons of them here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/ora...rs-280029.html
    Quote Originally Posted by sunwatcher View Post
    The brands that always come to my mind when I think of beach and surf are Bali Hai and Rip Curl. Unfortunately the only automatic that I could find from Rip Curl was a dress watch.

I like the orange diver suggestion mentioned. Seiko Orange Monsters look to me like they are made to take a bit of abuse.

Name:  SKX781-b.jpg
Views: 2807
Size:  64.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marksmadsen View Post
    A solar G-shock sounds like it's best adapted to the use case of surfing. I'd certainly recommend a rubber strap over a bracelet that could cut into your wrist, and a resin case and acrylic crystal are less likely to damage the board, as well as probably being able to absorb more punishment than a metal dive watch. And solar because you have all that daylight to power your timekeeping.

Always liked the orange dial divers and the orange monster sounds just right, although i am not sure how much punishment it can stand.
    the rubber band is the correct way to go, slicing your wrist on a metal bracelet can be a bit of a pain (pun intended).
    maybe i need to reconsider, maybe an automatic watch wont be able to withstand the abuse... but for me - going digital, although they are great watches, is not an option.
    what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AirWatch View Post
    In fact, there are, the G-Shock GWX5600 is but one example: Surf's Up! GWX-5600-1JF Washed Ashore
    nice, but don't really like digital watches...

The only watches I've seen directly marketed to surfers in surf shops are Freestyle and Nixon. The 'surf' watches were quartz, though had surf indicator dials or displays. The G-Shock Gulfman has a surf display, as well as some of the Protrek/Pathfinder models, but obviously they're quartz.

Good Luck!

The only watch I know of that is actually designed for surfers is the G-Shock with the tide function, mentioned above.

There are also Bathys watches, which are basically dive watches that seem to have been designed for the beach lifestyle.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure why anyone would wear an expensive auto just to go surfing.
    marksmadsen likes this.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Honestly, though, I'm not sure why anyone would wear an expensive auto just to go surfing.
    O.K...
    As digitals are not my thing, i would gladly hear any thought or recommendations for a good looking, cheap (or in the spirit of the forum - affordable) watch that would suit my needs...
    guess that bottom line, i am looking for a robust, on the verge of indestructible, cheap watch... if it have to be quartz ... than so be it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information