WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is there truly no love for Timex?

2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  smersh 
#1 ·
Because I have a young family and money is tight, I've had to sell off my more expensive watches and have decided that to satisfy my watch addiction for the next few years I'm going to rely on Timex watches. I've already got a few but I'm going to continue to build my collection.
I've really found some sharp looking pieces out there and wondered if no one on here has much love for Timex?
Surely in this forum folks could share some of their Timex watches? I know there used to be a dedicated Timex forum but it got dissolved into this forum so are there still Timex collectors out there?

#344 ·

Attachments

#4,135 ·
That separate button for start and stop on the chronograph has always driven me nuts. Why in the world would they do that?! A mechanical chronograph or even a quartz analog one doesn't? Casio doesn't (the biggest other major "cheap" watch company), nor does any other company that I can think of. If anyone has an inside track on why Timex bucks convention and does this, let me know! I know this is a very old thread, but maybe it'll pop-up somewhere.

#6 ·
I like Timex :D Similar to your situation, I'm a college student and money is tight, but the bug still bites. Timex offers a lot of interesting designs for not a lot of money. Every time I'm in an outlet mall I stop by a Time Factory and have a little look-see, even if I know I'm not going to buy anything. A lot of different styles available, too, thanks to their numerous sub-brands (Nautica, Marc Ecko, Guess, etc).

I'm a big fan of Marc Ecko clothing (and sub-brands like Avirex and Zoo York), so I have a couple of Timex-built Marc Ecko watches:

^^That's one of the first watches in my collection. It's a little gaudy for my tastes lately, but I still give it some love once in a while when I'm feeling like being flashy. It's on a Guess strap.

^^Turn the focus adjustment a little bit, and we have my Super Technical Chronograph, which gets a lot of wrist time. It's really well-built, with a very nice bracelet.

^^Got this one at a Time Factory off the $19.99 clearance table :D The perpetual calendar is a neat feature, and so is the full-dial Indiglo.

There's also a black face/PVD case alarm chronograph at Wal-Mart that's on sale for $45 that I kinda want to get, but I've already got something incoming, and my Luminox already fulfils the full-black color scheme. I don't, however, have an analog alarm watch yet.

I sold a Timex Expedition digital watch a while back, too. I didn't wear it very much, but it treated me well as a work beater for a long time. The battery lasted a good 7 years or so, and in fact it still powered the alarm well after the dial got too dim for me to be able to turn the alarm off :D

You really can't beat Timex (and Casio) if you're operating in the sub-$100 (and often sub-$50, as all the above pieces are) price range.

#135 ·

^^Turn the focus adjustment a little bit, and we have my Super Technical Chronograph, which gets a lot of wrist time. It's really well-built, with a very nice bracelet.
Damn it Squish.. I just can't get this one out of my head. :-d

Anyone know where I can find one in this color scheme?? Anyone have one to sell? PM me please! Been looking for over a year with no luck... :-(

#7 · (Edited)
I have 20 or so Timex watches, my oldest is a 1950's that still has US Time on the back. Most are newer however. I don't think you can beat the value in under $50 watches. I was going to post my newest Timex's in a separate thread but why not do it here? I got the compass watch for $39.00 in the Bargain Basement at Cabela's, the other Expedition was a Walmart special for $44.00. Both are nice for the $$.

Here are some of my other Timex's, probably not all of them but the ones I found pictures to:

#22 ·
I have 20 or so Timex watches, my oldest is a 1950's that still has US Time on the back. Most are newer however. I don't think you can beat the value in under $50 watches. I was going to post my newest Timex's in a seperate thread but why not do it here? I got the compass watch for $39.00 in the Bargain Basemant at Cabela's, the other Expedition was a WalMart special for $44.00. Both are nice for the $$.

Nice looking watch! How does the compass feature work?

Oooh! Me want!

What's the difference between Electric and Electronic?
Nice collection!:-!

#10 ·
Due to some recent pictures of cool Timexes on the forum, I decided to check out there website. They do have some nice looking watches and a lot of variety. I would agree with the comment that Seiko and Orient offer a little more for the money in this price range, but Timex still is a good option. I had an Expedition and a coupe Iron Man Triathlon in 1990s that I absolutely loved. Maybe I'll have to pick up a new Timex...

Reactions: myke
#161 ·
Due to some recent pictures of cool Timexes on the forum, I decided to check out there website. They do have some nice looking watches and a lot of variety. I would agree with the comment that Seiko and Orient offer a little more for the money in this price range, but Timex still is a good option. I had an Expedition and a coupe Iron Man Triathlon in 1990s that I absolutely loved. Maybe I'll have to pick up a new Timex...
I have never had a Timex let me down and I have put quite a few to the test, I have owned one Orient, and still do, has been a great watch, (I know they are owned by Seiko now,but still have a different movement) as for Seiko, I have had several problems with there auto's, stopping working all together, accuracy issues, crown fitment, leakers, which led me to sell every one I owned, which was about 8, even my kenetics, just kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, I have no desire to own another one. I won't even look at one anymore, In my own opinion, I am probably gonna step on some toes, but, Seiko has really been talked up higher than the true quality of the watch, unless you are refering to the higher end ones that cost a great deal more, buck for buck, ln the low end, I think a Timex is a better watch.:-!

#11 ·
I love em! My very first watch was a Timex childs manual wind , a bribe from my Brother so that I would be page boy at his wedding (I was 7!)
Here are the two I have now with the rest of the collection! There is a perpetual calendar (which seems to keep to around 8 seconds a month accuracy!) and a beautiful SL 38 jewel that has an astonishing level of fit and finish!
Here's to Timex!

#12 ·
There is a lot of love for the product, but, I think, not the name. People tend to shy away from wearing brand names that denote "inexpensive". Unfortunately, Timex, along with other great products like Seiko, fall victim to the bias.

#15 ·
I have two and would buy another with out hesitation if I like the style:

I tend not to like their bands or bracelets, so I end up replacing them..

#20 ·
i had two from the Ironman 'Sleek' line.

great watches. not as robust as my 'G', but for the price it's easy enough to buy two. not to mention that the interface is much simpler, with nice prompts and the display is much easier to read. figure in the fact that the contour and low weight make them disappear on your wrist and they make a lot of sense.

#24 ·
Sadly, I've had negative experiences with my Timex watches. I've managed to "drown" two ironman models (while swimming in the ocean, heck they're supposed to be meant for such sport!) and one expedition (while crossing a river during a hike, again, an activity for which the watch was supposedly designed). Since then I've stuck to my Casio edifice and g-shock for outdoor recreation. They've yet to fail me, I've even taken 'em scuba diving.

#289 ·
Same here...I too have "drown" an Ironman digital while swimming/skiing/etc. in the lake. I still have some Timex watches and still like them I just don't trust them for water sports. I'll stick to G-Shocks for my high impact outdoor activities; never had one of those crap out on me...

CK

#27 ·
we love timex......
and we have many question......

so.. please sixtysix can you help me..?
about this Diver 200m showed in the modified (by me) pic...

1) does it have screw down crown and screwed case back?
i think yes.....

2) what's the purpose of the gear-like ring across the pusher?
i don't know,,,

3) does the lume it is still good also without the indiglo?
don't know...

4)the strap or the braclet can be easy replaced with a standard one or maybe does it requires a dedicated strap or bracled only made by Timex?

it is good?
It's heavy or well usable?
have you any lume shot of the timex 200m diver...
i'm planning of buying one.....

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
we love timex......
and we have many question......

so.. please sixtysix can you help me..?
about this Diver 200m showed in the modified (by me) pic...

1) does it have screw down crown and screwed case back?
i think yes.....

2) what's the purpose of the gear-like ring across the pusher?
i don't know,,,

3) does the lume it is still good also without the indiglo?
don't know...

4)the strap or the braclet can be easy replaced with a standard one or maybe does it requires a dedicated strap or bracled only made by Timex?

it is good?
It's heavy or well usable?
have you any lume shot of the timex 200m diver...
i'm planning of buying one.....

Thanks Thanks Thanks
Hello ecalzo!

Here is a lume shot and an Indiglo shot, the light colored sections on the rotating bezel glow as well. I would say lume is average in intensity, not sure how long it lasts.

The gear like ring on the pusher is there for pure decoration, it tries to look like a lock so the pusher can't be accidently used under water (some of my Invicta's have this feature) but does not seem to turn. The pusher id for the indiglo light.

The strap looks like it can be replaced easily, it has hollow end links and it looks like standard spring bars underneath. Screw heads appear to be fake, making it look like a screw in pin for the strap.

It does have a screw down crown and a screwed case back! You are right. As far as being heavy, the band is stainless and rubber and it weighs 4.9 oz. (138.9 g) set up for my wrist. I would say medium weight for a diver. Is it good? I like it, but if I were going to dive, I would most likely wear a pro grade diver. They call this a Dive STYLE watch, good looking but not sure how it would hold up in the deep sea.

Here are more photos of it, first one shows screw down crown:

#32 · (Edited)
Difference between Electronic and Electric!

Boy was I wrong....I looked in my Timex book and it looks like they introduced 'Electronic' Around 1969-70. There is actually a difference. They are completely different animals...sorry I should have looked it up first!

Electric (Mod. 40 and 41 w/date movements)

-9.75 x 12.75 linge
-Power Cell drives balence, balance drives time train, hands rotate.
-Beat rate 21,600
-Temp compensated hair spring
-Tweezers and screwdriver is all that is needed to dissassemble.
-access movement through caseback

Electronic (Mod. 84, 85, and 87 (87 is Cal. 882)

-13.5 linge
-Mod 84 and 85 had a switch, mod 87 had a thick film circuit with 2 trasistors, 1 cap, 4 resistors.
-The electronic circuit connected to the moving coil by second small hair spring
- Looks like Balance is pulsed by switching polity?
- Beat rate 21,600
- Had to get movement through crystal, case back fixed.

#60 ·
Where are the automatic movements made? Are they Chinese? What kind of accuracy are they capable of?
Made in China, and very well made, especially since Timex has good QC.
Accuracy, I think, is around -20s to +40s a day.

I have 76 watches, some fairly expensive, but my favorite is a Timex expedition chrono alarm

The case is ion coated, and very thick, so it is cool black b-) and very durable. $45 on sale at Wal Mart, but this thing has the fit and finish of a $600 dollar watch.

I have 7 Timex watches, and I'm looking for a certain model vintage 21j right now. I have had a lot of problems with the old unjewelled movements, but I think the 21j versions are indestructible, and they make some of the nicest quartz mov'ts around.

Is there no love for Timex?
I think there's a lot here;-)

#35 ·
I don't have any pictures, but I must say that Timex watches were (and continue to be) a favorite of mine. I was browsing the other day and found this interesting link to old advertisement "torture tests" which Timex performed to demonstrate the shock proofing and waterproof quality of its pieces. They include a dolphin swimming with a Timex Waterproof attached to a baton, a torture test of a ladies' watch inside a dishwasher (natch), and Mickey Mantle attaching a Timex watch to a baseball bat and hitting a pitch.

It's really a cool site (not mine): http://watches.ryanrooney.com/timex-videos.html