Timefactors have updated the PRS29 - their version of the Smiths W10 - Page 3
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Timefactors have updated the PRS29 - their version of the Smiths W10

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Timefactors have updated the PRS29 - their version of the Smiths W10

I'm not sure that's right about vat. I recall on Eddie's forum that he does not charge vat. Not sure of the details but the price shown is the price you will pay outside the EU.

[Edit]: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post4972934
    Last edited by mr_nobody; January 27th, 2019 at 18:09.
    "With your pocketful of watches, you will always be on time..." -- The Len Price 3

Quote Originally Posted by AC81 View Post
    Earlier version top, then new version 2nd.

Attachment 13837161Attachment 13837163
    Thanks for the comparison, AC81!
    I’ve got an original, birthyear W10, and have been impressed by the faithfulness of Eddie’s first PRS-29 - the font and particularly the positioning changes on the new one would kill it for me

AC81 likes this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    I'm not sure that's right about vat. I recall on Eddie's forum that he does not charge vat. Not sure of the details but the price shown is the price you will pay outside the EU.

[Edit]: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post4972934
    The price shown 'is' the price charged for within the EU. There's no VAT added onto that.
    So either he's not charging VAT at all, or it's being removed when going though the cart from outside the EU.

The post shown is just someone suggesting VAT isn't added. The implication being that VAT is removed at the cart process.
    I know it's a little different in US (or it was when i was there) where listed prices didn't include VAT. But in the UK, all prices listed are inclusive of VAT.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looking more closely, the distortion in positioning is due to the lume bars at 12,3,6 and 9 all being too long in that second version (more than double the railway width)

It matters less on the 3 and 9, as the numbers are narrower than they are long.
    The numeral 6 is smaller in all versions, to try to visually deal with the lume bar, but on the new version it’s involved moving the 6 as well
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

I have both versions of the PRS-29A
    Quite interesting to note the differences between the 2 as Timefactors have in the mean time changed manufacturers. Moving from Roland Kemmner who made the first, to a manufacturer in Hong Kong (as far as i understand)

Time to get nerdy on ya.
    For me, the origional is closer to the W10 from 1967. With changes to both the font and the hands on the newer version.
    You can see the 4 now has an open top, and the lume in the hour hand finishes with a square end rather than the point of the previous and origional. While the minute hand was origionally thinner and more tapered at the end.
    The 6 is now pushed up on the same level with 5 & 7.
    All small little design changes that leave me prefering the first version. Which is a bit of a shame as the new version with sapphire would be alot more practical.
    The white printing on the dial was much bolder with the earlier version too.

Not quite sure why the design changed and moved it away from the origional.
    Don't get me wrong though, this is still a fantastic watch, and great value.

Also, between the 2. The handwinding of the origional is much easier. With the new version stiffer to wind.

Earlier version top, then new version 2nd.

Attachment 13837161Attachment 13837163

I would add aswell, that the PRS29AM. Does have heat blued hands. Which for £405 is amazing value. And it does create a very nice new look in what is the perfect case size for me.

Attachment 13837165
    Yes I believe you're correct that production has moved to Hong Kong now.

Thanks for listing all the dial changes!

Personally, I prefer the second version. I quite like the open 4, and the other changes are so minor that they don't bother me.

Whilst I can't comment on the winding of the mk1, I found the new version reasonably smooth, but as I said in my review the crown is a bit small.
    Just one guy giving his honest opinions on all things wristwatch.

Follow me using the links below:
    BLOG - INSTAGRAM - YOUTUBE - FACEBOOK

Really love the AM version...beautifully done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmodromedary View Post
    Heat blued hands!!!
    A bit pricey, but everything looks top notch, so it's justified.

Hi mate. Glad you like the PRS-29 Air Ministry (AM). I am in Oz too. While black dial watches are still my favourites and likely always will be, the AM is too die IMO because of those heat blued hands & cream dial, IMO. I saw a watch with heat blued hand in a photo once and it was breathtaking. Just imagine what it would look like in reality, and against a cream dial at that.

People often seek vintage & so have I, but I have decided I prefer new re-edition, robust well done 'vintage-red-edition' pieces, with improved specs of 100m of WR, anti-magnetism and sapphire glass, and Eddie Platts is one of the very rare few who do much less can. I am slo not a fan of this forced patina vintage look Hamilton seems to be jumping on. I like to develop a history with my watch and have it happen naturally and in our sun that cream dial should age wonderfully... The work horse ETA manual wind is icing on an already perfect (classic) cake, and in my opinion this coupled with the specs makes this time piece a true heirloom worthy consideration. This also rare for the price point.

I have looked for (more to the point hoped for) a watch like this since the late 70's. The biggest issue, in addition to getting the case right was water resitance- they simply didn't exist in this spec. So suffice to say this is virtually a dream come true for me. Should I be lucky enough to secure my example, when and if my piece arrives the family & I have planned to 'make a meal of it', literally and celebrate with lunch. I have been looking for a piece to wear in my my Granfather's honour, who use to hand wind his watch before going to bed. Thanks to Eddie I have found it...
    Last edited by Desert; October 21st, 2019 at 06:38. Reason: Additional supporting thoughts.
    'I think therefore I am' (Rene Descartes`, 1644)
    Think he meant, 'You can do anything if you put your mind to it!'

I delve into the intricacies of horology, but the laymen
    just wills me to enunciate more clearly? I conclude in knowing he
    is genetically resistant, and that is why I come here!

Really like the design but with a 36mm he must be trying to corner the sub 6in wrist crowd. 36 is just too small.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JLS36 View Post
    Really like the design but with a 36mm he must be trying to corner the sub 6in wrist crowd. 36 is just too small.

The PRS-29 used to come in 36mm, and 39mm. The reason the 39mm didn't come back with the re-boot with the new manufacturer, was the 36mm outsold the larger watch by 4 to 1.
    Twehttam and Omegafanboy like this.

The PRS-29 used to come in 36mm, and 39mm. The reason the 39mm didn't come back with the re-boot with the new manufacturer, was the 36mm outsold the larger watch by 4 to 1.
    Wow

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information