Timex water resistance question or similar cheap watch recommendation
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Timex water resistance question or similar cheap watch recommendation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Timex water resistance question or similar cheap watch recommendation

I'm new to watches, and was initially looking for a watch that was an analog watch and had both day and date indicators and could be seen in the dark, and was affordable. It seems difficult to find a cheap (relative of course) watch with good lume, and both day and date so I ended up with a timex, T2N227. I like the watch very much, but my problem is it is only water resistant to 30 meters, and I would like it if the watch were more durable and I could wear it in the shower. From reading as much as I could here on the topic of water resistance I realize that not much can be done to increase the water resistance of a watch, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the likelihood of finding a compatible more durable/water resistant case to swap, or if such a thing would even be easily possible. If not, does anyone know of a watch that is cheap, easy to see at night (either by lume,EL, LED etc) and has day and date?
    Last edited by woodt3; January 12th, 2013 at 11:22.

Re: Timex water resistance question or similar cheap watch recommendation

Swapping case is not practical and not cost effective. Anyway many people uses 30M WR watches for swimming and taking showers. Since the watch is really cheap you can try, and most probably there will be no problem.

I knew it wouldn't be practical, but I was hoping for a similar more water resistant case. I was under the impression that 30M WR was not enough to shower with from what I had read on this forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have swam with several 30m watches and had no problem with them. Timex is a good quality manufacturer and I suspect they are more WR than they warrant. I think many times it is about the warranty and the level of testing a watch goes through. So the watch could be designed to be a higher level of WR and withstand it.
    Agree with CCCP - not practical to change cases. Rather pay a bit more for a 100m watch.

Thank you both for the responses, I suppose I will try it and see. I wouldnt mind paying a bit more for a 100m watch but I couldn't find one with "good" lume and day and date features.

I wouldn't do it specially in hot water. 30m is like swat resistant more then water resistant so if you do decide to shower with it do it at your own risk. But any ways as far as I know taking shower with watches is not recommend and kinda impractical imo.

I have 2 similar timexes, that's a nice looking one.

I don't understand why anyone would want to wear their watch in the shower. Wearing your shoes, glasses, etc. in the shower would not get them clean - just try it. Wearing your watch in the shower will not get it clean. In fact, it will get it dirty, caked with dried-out soap and water spots. You will only save about .3 seconds that it takes to remove it and set it aside. Clean your watch with a damp microfiber cloth, or an old toothbrush and mild soap.

Having said that, I've had no problem with the water resistance of my Timex watches. I haven't owned a 30m watch that I've taken in the water, but I do have a couple 50m Timex watches that I've worn swimming, and haven't had any problems with them.
    Ol'DaidEye likes this.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

Have a Timex Expedition, model number escapes me at the moment, rated at 100m yet has a snap on caseback and no screw down crown. I know screw down crowns are more usually found on 200m+ WR watches but snap on back rated at 100m worries me.

Chris

I suppose I should have been more specific, while I don't want to wear it in the shower every time I shower, I wanted a watch that would still hold up should I bring it in the shower, as I have forgotten to remove other watches while in the shower. I forget sometimes, and don't realize til after the damage has been done. Of course the simple answer here is rather than finding a more water resistant watch, don't forget, but I would have liked to find a durable watch with day/date and lume or other light source.

Quote Originally Posted by woodt3 View Post
    100m watch with "good" lume and day and date features.
    Name:  citizen_watch_BM8180_10.jpg
Views: 3630
Size:  92.1 KB

The BM8180 is about $80.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information