Vostok upgrade to quartz Scurfa?
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Vostok upgrade to quartz Scurfa?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vostok upgrade to quartz Scurfa?

Trying to talk something through, and I don't have any IRL watch nerd friends.

I currently have a Vostok 710557. It was my first dive watch and what I loved about it was the functionality of the timing bezel and that I absolutely did not care about what circumstances I'd be wearing it in. I knew it would be fine.

What I didn't count on was the amount of magnetism it would be subjected to in a day, with the cherry on top being that my better half wanted a flappy-screen thing on our back door that's held together with magnets. My poor Vostok went from +5 a day to +25 a day just like that. I find that I'm having to be conscious of where my wrist is as I'm exiting my house and that's just silly. The whole point of this watch was that I could wear it and not worry about it. I have plenty of fragile vintage pieces if I want to worry about what's on my wrist.

I also miss the date on occasion, but I have a phone for that if needed.

A Scurfa would be similar thickness and size, just as durable, and have the quartz movement less affected by minor magnetism. Bonus of drilled lug holes and sapphire crystal.

Is it crazy to spend roughly twice as much as the Vostok cost to get a quartz Scurfa?

Vostok for reference.

Name:  DSC02788 smaller.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  120.3 KB
    Davidka likes this.

Re: Vostok upgrade to quartz Scurfa?

Can you buy a demagnetizer?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Or you could buy a $10 demagnetizer from eBay or AliExpress. But where would be the fun in that?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Meranom do some anti-mag mate

Your 710 looks brill, just be careful

Banned

A month ago or so I sold a mechanical watch to somebody on eBay. I know the watch was keeping good time because I had worn it a few days prior. A week or so later he claimed it was gaining 5 millimeters every hour, which was a strange thing to claim to say the least. After an email discussion he reduced this to five minutes a day. I suggested it may be magnetised, and if he returned it to me I would demagnetise it, and if necessary regulate it. The buyer said he would demagnetise it himself. Two weeks later he told me it was still gaining excessive time, but suspected the very old radio it sat beside at night may be having an effect on it. Of course, putting it somewhere else before contacting me may have been beyond his comprehension. As a good seller I made him the same offer as before, but suggested he ask someone else wear the watch for a day to see what happened. I haven't heard anything since, but I still await another message.

I’d pay up to get the Scurfa in a second. The Vostok is known as being unreliable and somewhat a “disposable” watch. The Scurfa is very well made and if I recall has a Ronda quartz movement which should last a long time. To me, it’s well worth the cost to upgrade
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

kpjimmy and mougino, I looked into the demagnetizers and the ones that can handle a full watch without removing the movement are in the $100 range. Considering my track record with tinkering, I'm not about to remove the movement to demag it.

arktika1148, I've seen the antimagnetic Vostoks, but I'm not a fan of the dial, even after Favinov works his lume magic. I'd need to swap at least the dial and the caseback to get the magnetic shielding is my understanding.

Mrs Wiggles, my sympathies. With all the stories I've heard from sellers, I'm kind of glad that nothing I have is worth selling. There isn't the temptation to go down that road.

City74, I bought the Vostok knowing all of the drawbacks and figured it would be a good introduction to a dive watch at a very accessible price, with the bonus of the goofy full-lume dial (which actively impedes legibility due to the lumed hands). All in all, I'm more disappointed in my caring about the accuracy of a watch that's rated to +60/-20 factory specs than I am about the watch getting magnetized. The Vostok was my daily wear and it spoiled me with accuracy until it didn't. I appreciate the opinion on the Scurfa. They look like insanely good value.

Which demagnetizer are you looking at? You just put the watch on this one a few times and you're good to go. No removing the movement. 15usd.

Watch Demagnetizer, Watch Repair Screwdriver Tweezers, Mechanical/Quartz Watch Electrical Demagnetise Demagnetizer Tools XCQ01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9YC4DJ..._sxNgDbT5Z5PBN

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dub Rubb likes this.

ofrei carries that one (for $55) and doesn't recommend it for complete watches in the case.

I was looking at the pass-through one below it.

Demagnetizer

Esslinger carried the same ones with the same recommendations.

You can get quartz Citizen on sale, Momentum, Casio MDV106, Edifice 200m WR.
    There are plenty of neat and quality offerings and most of them very similar in size. Yet i think MDV106 at 60$ is closest to your Vostok.
    You can ask any watchmaker to demagnetize it for you for additional 20-30$ or buy any made in china demagnetizer as crude as it cheap.
    serge70 likes this.
    It should be special!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information