Watch for Dad
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Watch for Dad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watch for Dad

My Dad is in his late 80’s and has owned the same Seiko quartz watch for around 25-30 years. I do not know the model number, but a picture is below.

He really likes the watch but it has developed some problems. The watch has shown moisture under the crystal at least once and had seals replaced by his local dealer. Most recently the crown stem came out of the watch and Dad is ready to purchase a new watch. He would like something similar in styling.

His preferences are:

*Quartz or solar
    * Similar size (thinks his current watch is around 35mm)
    * Leaning towards Seiko or Citizen
    * Numbers on the dial
    * Day and date
    * Bracelet

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have. I am into divers and chronographs, so I’m not terribly familiar with the options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Watch for Dad

I'm sure you can find a Citizen eco-drive that will fulfill your requirements.

There's a pretty long thread on field watches that is only a couple of days old and should be on the front page here or in the public forum. You might want to browse that to see if anything fits your needs. A lot of those watches would be similar to what you're looking for.

Edit, here's the thread I was referring: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/go...h-4979583.html
    Last edited by Toonces; 1 Week Ago at 17:13.
    sal4 likes this.

Thanks Toonces, I will check it out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This Orient fits in your dad's preferences: https://www.orient-watch.com/Collect...tch/p/UG0Q003W

Name:  Orient.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  75.2 KB
    sal4 and Synequano like this.

Quick question—does he need a bigger day/date display than his current one, or is that size okay for his vision?

Citizen Eco-Drive isn’t a bad way to go at all. I’ve a few and I’m quite happy with them.

Timex also makes some in this size and they are very legible. (Easy Reader, Weekender, etc.)

The day/date makes it a bit trickier, which is where Seiko does well. A lot of their models have that.
    sal4 likes this.

I'm cheating a little (40mm and automatic (oh and no numbers, actually this is totally not what you're after)) but it's nice and on sale over at jomashop at the moment
    Name:  hamilton-jazzmaster-silver-dial-two-tone-men_s-watch-h32595151_1562432999719.jpg
Size:  110.3 KB
    sal4 likes this.

I would recommend a Citizen Eco-Drive. He can put it on his dresser and let the light charge it up. No need replacing the battery.
    sal4 and X2-Elijah like this.
    My Other Hobby:
    Power
    McIntosh MA6200 Integrated Amplifier ~ Jolida JD202BRC Tube Integrated Amplifier
    Source
    Marantz NA7004 Network Audio Player
    Analog
    AR XB - Denon DL-110 ~ Audio Technica AT-MONO 3 ~ Audio Technica AT-440MLOCC| Dual 1219 - Shure M97xe ~ Grado Black |Dual 721 ~ Shure M1 TRACK
    Driver
    Focal 806V Speakers ~ S700 Stands

tcl

Most Citizen watches I've seen have diameters over 35mm. I noticed his has an expansion bracelet. If he can move up 3mm to a 38mm case this Citizen looks like it has a similar style and even has an expansion bracelet.

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Quart.../dp/B07B3WPZZX
    Davidka, Rocat and sal4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasropakis View Post
    This Orient fits in your dad's preferences: https://www.orient-watch.com/Collect...tch/p/UG0Q003W

Name:  Orient.jpg
Size:  75.2 KB
    Thanks, I had never seen that Orient model before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Guy View Post
    Quick question—does he need a bigger day/date display than his current one, or is that size okay for his vision?

Citizen Eco-Drive isn’t a bad way to go at all. I’ve a few and I’m quite happy with them.

Timex also makes some in this size and they are very legible. (Easy Reader, Weekender, etc.)

The day/date makes it a bit trickier, which is where Seiko does well. A lot of their models have that.
    The size of the day/date window on his current Seiko works fine for him.

He is pretty shocked at how large men’s watches are today. The Seiko 5 range of dress watches are the correct size for him, but are autos and he needs quartz.

He was interested in a Citizen based on recommendations, but they make few watches in the size he wants.

He could have a new movement put in his old watch, but I am hoping he can find a new one that meets his needs. One thing going for his current Seiko is the black outlined hands against the white dial, it is very legible for him.

We will keep looking to see what options are out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information