What to buy next? Cocktail Time vs Orient Star vs Laco Vintage - Page 6
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: What to buy next? Cocktail Time vs Orient Star vs Laco Vintage

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: What to buy next? Cocktail Time vs Orient Star vs Laco Vintage

kiwizak. Gorgeous watch! May I ask where did you buy it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Zizu73 View Post
    kiwizak. Gorgeous watch! May I ask where did you buy it from?
    Seiyajapan.com 10% off at the moment. Fast delivery, 5 days from ordering to my house in Australia. Definitely would buy from him again
    Zizu73 likes this.
    ZAK

Also check the Brightz "Grand Cocktail" which comes on bracelet (of course you can put a strap on it), and the case is in fact more interesting than the Sarb065 whose case is fairly standard, in my opinion. and it has sapphire crystal (I think that the 065's dome is made from mineral glass, I read that in a thread)

Interestingly, when the Sarb065 was launched, I almost bought it as it is sexy, but in the shop I compared to the orient star standard date 2003w (check it out), and found it in fact a bit more elegant, less in-your-face, and still special. And it is very AR-d, as if there is no crystal in it!

What else: perhaps check if you can save up towards a nomos, or a 2nd hand nomos.

Now all your choices are indeed quite dressy. perhaps you can investigate something a bit different for your daily use. Fliegers (so many companies offer them) are interesting in that they look awesome both on T-shirt and jeans as well as on a suit. Worth checking out in my opinion, for example the steinhart premium flieger 44 which is more posh than the traditional flieger yet still not a true dressy watch. Also check the Sinn 556i at the top of your budget range, somewhat sporty yet still universal, and quite special indeed.
    Zizu73 and Will_f like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't worry so much about a watch being "too dressy"; it's much easier to dress a dressy watch down than a sports watch up. I wear my nomos orion with jeans and at shirt and it works just fine. Avoid putting the watch on a glossy croc strap and any of the ones you listed will be fine for casual wear.

For my 2 cents, I like the cocktail time or the archimede. If you're thinking about spending max bill money, look into a used nomos; having seen them both in person I prefer the nomos watches.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Zizu73, ABud21 and Will_f like this.
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 165.024 | Nomos Orion Ref. 309 | Helson Shark Diver 40 v2 (white)
    Seiko MM300 SBDX001 | Seiko Alpinist SARB017 | Seiko 5 SNK803 | Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 | Citizen 8110 Bullhead

MrDragon, thanks for your suggestions. I am afraid that neither Steinhart nor Sinn does it for me. I guess it just personal taste as I am aware that lot of folk here love these fliegers. I have read that the sarb065 case is not great, it mostly about the dial which is unique and sexy.

Npulaski, yes you are right i probably worry too much about how dressy the sarb065 will look. What I have realised is that I tend to be drawn to watches with understated beauty with the Cocktail time as an exception as its definitely not understated. Although I really appreciate this forum and the advise I am getting from all the knowledgeable people here it also made me realise how many beautiful quality watches are out there which is not good for my wallet. Max Bill is one of then, but now lately also Stowa and Nomos. That's more in line with my taste, i.e. understated, timeless design, quality, history. But it comes with a price tag which I am sure reflects the quality but still might be more than I was prepared to pay for a watch. By the way, how much does a used Nomos or Stowa cost on average?

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I'd go for the sarb, even if you decided its not for you it's can be sold easily on the sales forum here.
    Also I'd look into the hamilton intramatic. It's similar to the laco but I hunk it's a bit classier. There's one up on the sales forum as new for $450 right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Zizu73 likes this.
    "They call me Mezzly... They do that because it's my name!"

Mezzly, yes that's a good point. There is a quite big fan base so no issue to resell it.

Hamilton intramatic has been suggested already here and it's a very elegant quality watch but the big issue for me is the lack of a second hand.

fyi

Here you can see pictures of the "Grand Cocktail" SDGM001. You will see that the dial is very similar (though with a champagne colour to it) and on the whole the watch case elevates it:

Seiko Brightz – SDGM001 | Yeoman's Watch Review
    I know the sarb065 well and I'd rather save a little more for this variant.

Here you can see well how nice the orient star dv02003w is with a near transparant looking crystal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKiiMM_APN8

Steinhart Marine: MARINE CHRONOMETER 44, Roman.. - Marine Watch - Steinhart Watches

I understand that you don't like the flieger look, but have you seen the Steinhart premium variant that I recommended, it really looks quite different from the standard style with its golden edged hands, polished bezel and multilayer print. Purists tend not to like it. Fyi my colleague with a sarb065 adores it as well.
    Nav B-Uhr 44 premium, automatic - Premium Line - Steinhart Watches

A last Steinhart, posh-sporty looking Ocean 2 white.
    OCEAN Two white PREMIUM - Premium Line - Steinhart Watches

Final alternative: Seagull 1963. Everyone adores mine. It is quite unique and looks good in all situations.
    Last edited by MrDagon007; August 13th, 2015 at 19:57.
    Zizu73 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizu73 View Post
    MrDragon, thanks for your suggestions. I am afraid that neither Steinhart nor Sinn does it for me. I guess it just personal taste as I am aware that lot of folk here love these fliegers. I have read that the sarb065 case is not great, it mostly about the dial which is unique and sexy.
    My view is to always opt-in for simplicity. Take the most important element of the design and showcase that. Strip away what doesn't really matter. Or as the Zen masters would say, perfection is achieved when you have no more to take away. Which is exactly what Seiko did with the Cocktail Time and did correctly.

When you have a great dial and excellent dial work, the case doesn't matter because you look at the dial more than any other part of the watch. In the case of the Cocktail Time, the dial is just so gorgeous! You look at the sumptuously silvery blue dial, the shimmering markers, the intricate indices, the blue second hand sweeping across, the Dauphin hour and minute hands, and you are mesmerized. Just plain mesmerized.

This isn't to say that the other watches you are looking at don't have their appeal. The Laco is sweet, better-looking, in my view, than the Hamilton Intra-Matic; the lack of a second-hand on the Intra-Matic is an oversight that should have never happened. But the Laco lacks sparkle, at least to me. The Orient Star is interesting, but too sedate for my tastes; the GMT is a far-better choice if you go for the Orient Star. The SDGM001 Grand Cocktail's case is nice, but more-appropriate for a watch with a more-understated dial such as the SARX015 and SARX013; the cream dial on that watch lacks luster in my view, while the chapter ring and oyster case ends up detracting from the little appeal that dial has.

As far as I'm concerned, the Cocktail Time is the best watch you can buy and one that you can dress down or up with a change of a strap if you so choose. You can also pick up one, either on F29 or via Amazon, for as low as $343. Ultimately, it is your wallet, your wrist, your choice, and that's all that matters. Whichever watch you choose, wear it in great health!

Oh, and some photos...
    Name:  IMAG3402_1429368624009.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  1.33 MB
    Name:  DSCN2899.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  IMAG3473.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  880.0 KB
    Name:  DSCN2874.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  1.41 MB
    Name:  IMAG3903.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  890.1 KB
    Last edited by Sevenmack; August 13th, 2015 at 20:58.
    Zizu73 and ABud21 like this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

MrDagon, the Seiko sdgm001 looks very nice & it seems to be better built quality than the sarb065, especially the case. Saying that, I have to admit that in my eyes the Cocktail time still has the edge with regards to the looks. I just came across this watch:

Name:  IMG_0732.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  64.0 KB

It's the Seiko Brightz SDGZ015. It has some similarities with the sarb065, especially the dial, but that's also reflected in the higher price. Pretty cool chronograph, somebody called it Cocktail Timer :)

As I said the others watches don't appeal to me for various reasons.

Seagull 1963 is a great watch. I have a homage bought from one of the projects on WUS which I am really enjoying:

Name:  IMG-20150726-WA0000.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  64.9 KBName:  IMG-20150811-WA0002.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  66.1 KB
    Pete26 likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information