What's In Your Winder? - Page 2
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What's In Your Winder?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What's In Your Winder?

Quote Originally Posted by Proco2020 View Post
    And the answer and reasoning?
    It's just a noob question really. I was a bit apprehensive of letting my automatics wind down cause "I might want to wear that one right now" but in reality you just shake the thing, fix the time and you're good to go in, what, 20 seconds tops. No need to have it run all the time. I just use my winders when a watch isn't going to get wrist time soon and I was told by my watch guy that any automatic should run for a few days every month.
    Ard likes this.

Absolutely

Nothing, waste of energy. If I want to wear a watch, I pick the one closest to yesterday's date and give it a shake, sometimes I don't bother setting the date.
    Ard likes this.

I keep the watches that are hardest to set quickly - Moonphases. So I have the Oris Sinatra Classic Complication, WUS Chinese Forum Moonphase Project, and the Christopher Ward C9.

Name:  Moonphases.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  97.3 KB
    Drumguy, joepac and Ard like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. I've not felt the need for a winder yet but wondered why it being wound would be an issue. I have read something about the winder magnetising the watch but does that happen?

I generally grab a watch set the time and later in the morning, if I notice, set the date.

Strangely the last 3 days I've been wearing a Quartz but I don't see that as any more convienent than an auto or my one manual winder. Probably more inconvient as when that stops I need to swap batteries.
    Ard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proco2020 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've not felt the need for a winder yet but wondered why it being wound would be an issue. I have read something about the winder magnetising the watch but does that happen?

I generally grab a watch set the time and later in the morning, if I notice, set the date.

Strangely the last 3 days I've been wearing a Quartz but I don't see that as any more convienent than an auto or my one manual winder. Probably more inconvient as when that stops I need to swap batteries.

Changing a battery every few years is more convenient than taking the watch to a watchmaker to get it serviced.

My Visodate and Black Ray. Didn't have an individual shot of the winder. I like keeping my watches on a winder and don't care how easy it is to set the time and day/date on them as I would rather grab one and go. Also heard both sides of the winder argument and neither side can prove the other is a bad choice. Keeping a watch on a winder imo is no different than wearing it everyday, that is what they were designed for. Either way it's a matter of opinion and for my watches mine is the only one that matters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Drumguy; July 22nd, 2016 at 20:08.
    Ard likes this.
    Sinn 556 I
    Steinhart OVM New
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
    Citizen Brycen Chronograph
    Traser H3 Officer Pro
    1924 Elgin Pocket Watch
    G Shock G-100 1-BV
    Timex Weekender
    Casio World Time
    Casio Diver

Ard likes this.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph Sea-Gull "1963" ChronographVortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

My Squale Y1545 30 Atmos Horizon GMT and his little Squale toy friend
    Attached Images Attached Images

shemp55, Ard and jcombs1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumguy View Post
    Keeping a watch on a winder imo is no different than wearing it everyday, that is what they were designed for.
    Socks are designed to be worn on the feet, but what happens if you don't change pairs every once in awhile?
    Ard likes this.

Drumguy, joepac, saltddirk and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information