When Is It Ok To Buy A Quartz?
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: When Is It Ok To Buy A Quartz?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Question When Is It Ok To Buy A Quartz?

When it comes to movements, there are groups who love automatics and those who love quartz. Some in each group will have both. You can find automatics and quartz from the most affordable all they way to high end brands. Case in point, Rolex and Omega have quartz models in their collection. Probably the most popular Omega would be the Aqua Terra.

Personally, the majority of my collection will be automatic with exception to my G-Shock and Luminox. However, there is one high end brand that has been piquing my interest lately that has some very appealing quartz models. The brand is Alpina, especially the Startimer collection. They have a chronograph big date with a camouflage grey dial that is super sexy. The grey dial with vintage lume, and all the hands are rose gold encased in a stainless case with a sand or khaki color cordura strap. But, the timepiece is a quartz. I understand that if it were an automatic chronograph, the price would be much higher.

The question for F71 is... When is it ok to buy a quartz? When you are looking at high end, would you buy the quartz model, or would you buy the same model in automatic. Do you believe that high end should be automatic only? Taking everything into consideration, especially the state of the world economy, is your belief that high end timepieces should be automatic only, or would you consider buying the quartz model?

The reason for my thread is to generate friendly discussion of the matter, and to help me understand the differences. Your participation/thoughts/impressions on the subject will be very much appreciated.
    b'oris likes this.
    My Other Hobby:
    Power
    McIntosh MA6200 Integrated Amplifier ~ Jolida JD202BRC Tube Integrated Amplifier
    Source
    Marantz NA7004 Network Audio Player
    Analog
    AR XB - Denon DL-110 ~ Audio Technica AT-MONO 3 ~ Audio Technica AT-440MLOCC| Dual 1219 - Shure M97xe ~ Grado Black |Dual 721 ~ Shure M1 TRACK
    Driver
    Focal 806V Speakers ~ S700 Stands

Re: When Is It Ok To Buy A Quartz?

I think it's "ok" whenever you want. I bought a Breitling Colt Chronograph Superquartz specifically because it was a quartz. I wanted a high accuracy quartz, and I like Breitlings, so it was a no brainer for me. I use it often as a grab and go. It is also the time standard for all of my other watches. I don't buy into the Automatics > Quartz arguments. Both have their charms to me. Automatics/Mechanical are like living machines; a classic. However a quartz (High accuracy, in particular) is a precision instrument and a product of mankind's quest for the most accurate time.

I have quite a few quartz models, and I like them all.
    Breitling, Tissot, ESQ, Victorinox, Bulova, Melbourne Watch Company, Timex, Invicta, Deep Blue

In all honesty, for me, the novelty of Automatics has waned. As I've been doing more and more things where an Auto would be in danger of needing a heart transplant, I've grown more and more comfortable having a quartz on the wrist instead. I've set myself a firm limit of $1,000 on an individual piece, and within that price range IMHO you don't get anything more "special" between a stock auto and a stock quartz. YMMV obviously, but I'm beginning to have a hard time choosing my Autos in the morning.

That's a roundabout way of saying that incoming is a TSAR, instead of a GSAR......
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My biggest qualm with quartz watches is the lack of quality time I spend with them. With my mechanical watches I tend to spend time each day winding them or setting the date/time before wearing them, especially my hand-winders. I tend to never really bond with quartz watches due to this.
    I think a quartz is perfect for a grab and go, or a beater for work out wear. I find that I prefer chronographs for quartz watches, due to the smaller running seconds hand, as I dislike the ticking seconds hand on quartz watches.
    fredrick and The Thomas J like this.
    -Shaunie_007

When the day of the week ends in 'y'.

Interesting comments, thanks for your participation. The only downside is the more quartz you have, the more batteries will have to be replaced. IIRC, in our area the cost of replacing a battery is about $10. That could get expensive. Alpina's quartz models have a battery life of 4 years, which is not too bad. I would still like to get thoughts/impressions from the rest of the group.
    My Other Hobby:
    Power
    McIntosh MA6200 Integrated Amplifier ~ Jolida JD202BRC Tube Integrated Amplifier
    Source
    Marantz NA7004 Network Audio Player
    Analog
    AR XB - Denon DL-110 ~ Audio Technica AT-MONO 3 ~ Audio Technica AT-440MLOCC| Dual 1219 - Shure M97xe ~ Grado Black |Dual 721 ~ Shure M1 TRACK
    Driver
    Focal 806V Speakers ~ S700 Stands

After owning a reasonable number of both auto and quartz watches I've come to the conclusion that, for me, the power supply of the watch isn't much of a concern. I'm more interested in the design, style and wearability of the watch. If it strikes the right chords in those areas I'm a happy guy.
    Bodyblue, COZ, boomer627 and 7 others like this.
    You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalouie View Post
    When it comes to movements, there are groups who love automatics and those who love quartz.
    Hmmm, what about handwinders? ;)
    marty491 likes this.

Quartz doesn't bother me and I don't necessarily think they don't belong in "high-end" watches. I own a few automatics and a few quartz watches and they each have their pros and cons. I like quartz because of their grab it and go functionality. My two go-to weekend watches/beaters are quartz. And I think it's great that I could go without wearing them for a week and they'll still be ticking and the time will be relatively accurate.

The right time is whenever you want, and because every thread needs pictures:

I have no fear of banging this one around. It has been beaten and abused, and it will continue to tick on.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    boze, Rocky_MTN, Giggo and 11 others like this.
    -JZ-

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST

Follow the BSHT-GMT as it travels around the world: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/bsh...topics/1587714

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information