Why acrylic?
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Why acrylic?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Why acrylic?

I’ve seen several threads here recently with folks looking for watches specifically featuring acrylic crystals. I’ve always thought that acrylic was inferior to mineral glass, which is itself inferior to sapphire. Obviously that’s an oversimplification. But ... can someone please explain why you’d want an acrylic over an available alternative? Weight?

And of the three I’ve mentioned, do they “look” different when viewing the dial? Disregard any anti glare coating.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Munchie likes this.
    -----

Seiko 7625-8023 Sportsmatic
    Seiko SKX007K1
    Seiko SRP125 World Time
    Shinola Runwell 47
    Orient EU0B002D Multi-Year World Time
    Casio F-91W

Re: Why acrylic?

You can polish an acrylic crystal with polywatch so although it scratches more easily than mineral crystal it's also easier to polish off the scratches by yourself. Also people like acrylic because it has a certain vintage vibe with it.
    akierstein, larand, fish70 and 2 others like this.

Acrylic lends itself very well to domed styles that you typically see on classical designs a la what was the latest in the sixties. That style has never lost popularity, and is highly in vogue again. Weight could also be a consideration.

Whether sapphire is better than mineral glass is a matter of opinion. Sapphire glass shatters more easily than ordinary mineral glass, but it scratches less easily. Then again, some people have life styles that do not give the risk of many scratches. Personally, I have never scratched a crystal, and I refuse to pay as much as one penny extra for sapphire. It is hyped beyond all reason, IMHO.
    Last edited by Hoonnu; 1 Week Ago at 23:07.
    akierstein, wtma, gav1230 and 2 others like this.
    Best regards,
    Henny Stewart (亨尼·图尔特)(Хенни Стюарт)
    ALPHA | ROTARY | HERC | JARAGAR | BAGELSPORT | POLJOT | AK HOMME | HEINRICHSSOHN | PARNIS | ORKINA | BAISHUNS | POBEDA | RODINA | HMT and more!
    My blog Danish blog Aargang54
    I WEAR WATCHES DESIGNED FOR HUMAN BEINGS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sapphire could not replace the acrylic presence on my Sinn 103. And regarding scratches - I polished glass (easely) year ago (when I bought watch, preowned) . Up to know, without any problems. Acrylic glass really has some transparency and vintage vibe

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Sapphire doesn't scratch (or very rarely maybe...) But its relatively expensive as welll.

Acrylic scratches very easily, but it can also be polished out easily with a bit of toothpaste even.

Mineral is not as easy to scratch as acrylic, but you will definitely scratch it at some point, and no such easy remedy as a bit of toothpaste for that....

So no mineral for me, I'd rather take Sapphire and never get a scratch, or acrylic and rub some toothpaste on it every now and then.
    akierstein and Weetabix like this.
    Sign here:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonnu View Post
    Acrylic lends itself very well to domed styles that you typically see on classical designs a la what was the latest in the sixties. That style has never lost popularity, and is highly in vogue again. Weight could also be a consideration.

Whether sapphire is better than mineral glass is a matter of opinion. Sapphire glass shatters more easily than ordinary mineral glass, but it scratches less easily. Then again, some people have life styles that do not give the risk of many scratches. Personally, I have never scratched at crystal, and I refuse to pay as much as one penny extra for sapphire. It is hyped beyond all reason, IMHO.
    This is exactly the explanation I was hoping for. Thank you! And to the others who added/expanded to it.

Hoonnu likes this.
    -----

Seiko SKX007K1
    Seiko SRP125 World Time
    Shinola Runwell 47
    Casio F-91W

Quote Originally Posted by Nesoni View Post
    Sapphire could not replace the acrylic presence on my Sinn 103. And regarding scratches - I polished glass (easely) year ago (when I bought watch, preowned) . Up to know, without any problems. Acrylic glass really has some transparency and vintage vibe

What a fantastic looking watch! The domed crystal really makes it pop.

Nesoni likes this.
    -----

Seiko SKX007K1
    Seiko SRP125 World Time
    Shinola Runwell 47
    Casio F-91W

I have several watches with saphire, and all of them have taken an occasional hit. I considered myself lucky that the crystal took the brunt of it and the watch came away unscathed. But for me it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other: for certain vintage domed designs I'll gladly take the acrylic both for the sake of the shape and for the way the attachment method becomes part of a nice visual transition from dial to bezel. The real test would be if I had opportunity to buy a watch that looked the same but was available in both types. Then it would come down to how much extra I was willing to pay for the saphire, and everyone's answer to that will be different.
    akierstein and Hoonnu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akierstein View Post
    What a fantastic looking watch! The domed crystal really makes it pop.

Thanks. I wasn't sure in the beginning becouse of thickness (over 15 mm), but it's so comfortable, light. Not only that I have quality, preaty, well built watch, but I also established some personal relation, affection to my 103

akierstein and leastonh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akierstein View Post
    I’ve seen several threads here recently with folks looking for watches specifically featuring acrylic crystals. I’ve always thought that acrylic was inferior to mineral glass, which is itself inferior to sapphire. Obviously that’s an oversimplification. But ... can someone please explain why you’d want an acrylic over an available alternative? Weight?

And of the three I’ve mentioned, do they “look” different when viewing the dial? Disregard any anti glare coating.

Thanks!

All is relative... Acrylic... is inferior in the usual terms of economics.... meaning we consider that something more expensive is for that reason 'Better' yes?... many Diver Watches with Acrylic crystals put to shame Sapphire and Mineral Cyrstals.

For me:
    * Light
    * Very Affordable
    * Can easily be polished to a pristine finish
    * Won't crack under pressure... ( it would take a HUGEEEE amount of force to do significant damage)
    * Dome Acrylics are awesome

While
    *Sapphire is over rated and can actually shatter... over priced
    * Mineral Glass cannot take scratches out easily

Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    akierstein, Hoonnu, fish70 and 4 others like this.
    ... What time is it? ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information