WTF Sea-Gull?! Straight up thieves! (Aevig content)
Like Tree1482Likes

Thread: WTF Sea-Gull?! Straight up thieves! (Aevig content)

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thumbs Down WTF Sea-Gull?! Straight up thieves! (Aevig content)

Saw this on another forum and I'm shocked this hasn't spread to F71 yet. Sea-Gull has clearly -- CLEARLY -- ripped off a publicly posted design by our very own Chip (om-4), founder of Aevig and the exceptionally talented designer of the Balaur.

Attachment 4829145Attachment 4829161

This is unbelievable! Sea-Gull would never dare do something like this to a non-micro brand. [This really, really isn't the point of this thread. RTT before you stop here to make a pedantic point about Sea Gull's history of copying.] But I guess that's China for you. If you can get away with it, it's legal.

I don't know exactly what happened here, and I doubt Chip would be so impolitic as to comment, but this is a clear case of design theft, no matter the details. That's obviously a new model (it's barely available anywhere), and the Balaur has been "coming soon" for quite a long time. I remember seeing Chip's first renders in 2013. No way the copying is reversed here. Chip designed the nicest watch Sea Gull has ever made, and it makes me sick.

I'll never buy a Sea Gull watch after this. Period.

EDIT:

TL;DR: Here's the bottom line, folks:

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post

... they didn't just see it on his website and copy it. Chip sent their OEM shop the design to produce for his brand, not their own. They took it, the result of his design effort, and made it, without even paying him as the designer, and in the process have diminished his ability and incentive to produce it himself.

... They were giving a job to do, make the Balaur for Chip. They screwed it up, then went ahead and made the design for themselves, with the most minimal of changes, and before Chip was able to make it himself.

That's not an homage or imitation, that's strong-arm robbery.

Edit 2: Yes, it really is Sea Gull, the Sea Gull, the Sea Gull Chip asked to make the watch for him. RTT, there is no doubt. It is the Sea Gull 816.582.

See this post for Chip's (om-4's) input.

See these posts for some ideas on how to make our displeasure known to Sea Gull. Blogs and such. Social Media. Other ideas.
    Last edited by JakeJD; July 31st, 2015 at 16:39.

Re: WTF Sea-Gull?! Straight up thieves! (Aevig content)

"Imitation is the greatest form of flattery… or something like that."
    NathanielGoodtimes likes this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by JakeJD View Post
    This is unbelievable! Sea-Gull would never dare do something like this to a non-micro brand.
    You don't think so?

I've wondered if this would eventually happen, with all the micros sharing their designs long before they're available. Not surprising really (but that doesn't make it right).
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph Sea-Gull "1963" ChronographVortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow - that's pretty blatant.

Also interesting to see how that the most obvious change they've made (date window) has made it worse looking.
    tc3, ChiefWahoo, docvail and 2 others like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

it's.. close, but tbh I've seen far worse (just look at the millions of rolex clones). Tbh if they did copy chip's design, they did a really bad job of it.

But as for seagull not copying designs? Haha, really? Their "rodina" (clone of a somewhat old stowa/nomos/whatever design) watches are pretty blatant.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Borealis Estoril

Quote Originally Posted by svorkoetter View Post

You don't think so?

I've wondered if this would eventually happen, with all the micros sharing their designs long before they're available. Not surprising really (but that doesn't make it right).
    I get your point, but that's different. The AT is a classic, and the Sea Gull is an homage at best, rep at worst. But the AT already existed. Here they completely stole a "coming soon" design and beat the designer to market. What's next? Are they trawling Kickstarter for popular designs that haven't been funded yet??
    Last edited by JakeJD; July 30th, 2015 at 17:45.

And what's truly cringe-worthy is, that's easily the best-looking Sea-Gull I've ever seen.

You know you're winning when you are being copied... Or maybe not.

Sent from my magic brick
    docvail likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    it's.. close, but tbh I've seen far worse (just look at the millions of rolex clones). Tbh if they did copy chip's design, they did a really bad job of it.

But as for seagull not copying designs? Haha, really? Their "rodina" (clone of a somewhat old stowa/nomos/whatever design) watches are pretty blatant.
    It's not just close. Look at the hands, and in particular the seconds hand. It's even orange, for crissakes. And look at the chapter ring. It's the same font! There is no "if" here.

Like I said above, stealing a design from an established brand that's made millions from that design is a completely different animal from stealing that design from a micro-brand before the latter even has a chance to make it himself. Both are despicable, but cutting the legs out from under the little guy is dirty. This isn't little-ol' Chinese maker Sea Gull giving Omega or Nomos the finger. It's giant (by comparison) Sea Gull squashing a nascent competitor. I refuse to accept that as "business as usual". You should, too.
    Last edited by JakeJD; July 30th, 2015 at 17:45.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeJD View Post
    What's next? Are they trawling Kickstarter for popular designs that haven't been funded yet??
    Hm.. would be nice if they started stealing the carbon-clone minimalist quartz kickstarter watch "designs". They could flood the market and maybe people would finally stop putting those up for KS campaigns.

Edit: ah, missed the orange/white/orange/white on the seconds numerals. Yeah, that's a giveaway, they def. took the design and just tweaked it a bit (for the worse).

I still consider it business as usual, because (imo) that *is* business as usual for sea-gull / alpha / parnis (same thing far as I'm concerned) - stealing designs. I don't care if it's from big to small or big to big, design theft is design theft. *Neither* should be acceptable (and, hey - their companies won't be seeing my money).

Anyway. This reminds me when another KS project nicked the Huldra's handset and styling. Maybe an issue with parts suppliers reselling designs of their clients, who knows. Only thing we can do is stay aware and not buy clones/copies/homages.
    Last edited by X2-Elijah; July 30th, 2015 at 17:50.
    brandon\, pankajs, whoa and 2 others like this.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Borealis Estoril

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information