9 lady watch movements

Thread: 9 lady watch movements

9 lady watch movements

There are quite a few lady watch movements. So far I have found 9 different mechanical lady watch movements. The smallest is 14x16mm and is a very rare movement. Seagull ST6 is by far the most common movement that is used in many brands lady watches. Hangzhou, Beijing, Jinan, Diamond and Shanghai also developed their own movements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: 9 lady watch movements

Quote Originally Posted by soviet
    There are quite a few lady watch movements. So far I have found 9 different mechanical lady watch movements. The smallest is 14x16mm and is a very rare movement. Seagull ST6 is by far the most common movement that is used in many brands lady watches. Hangzhou, Beijing, Jinan, Diamond and Shanghai also developed their own movements.
    The one at the bottom-right, is that a Shanghai SS5? Is it still in production?

If so, then I think you've found the mysterious skeleton movement currently used by Slava-Design (Kometa), as discussed recently on the Russian forum.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...light=skeleton

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm
    The one at the bottom-right, is that a Shanghai SS5? Is it still in production?

If so, then I think you've found the mysterious skeleton movement currently used by Slava-Design (Kometa), as discussed recently on the Russian forum.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...light=skeleton
    Yes, that is a SS5. Another Shanghai movement that looks exactly the same has a model designation 5520. I think they are the same. Beijing made a 17 jewels movement that looks exactly the same as ST6. I am not sure if the SS5 is still in production. That skeleton movement could have been made with old stocks. I heard the anniversary Shanghai 581 watches used movements from used Shanghai 581 watches that the factory bought from the second hand markets.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here are some versions of the ST6 movements made by various factories. On the top right is a 17 jewels movement found in a Shuang Ling brand. In the middle is an automatic version without the rotor found in a lady Beijing railway watch. The real Sea-gull ST6 still looks better made than other factory versions.

Shanghai SS5 movement is the largest lady watch movement at 20.8mm. Sea-gull ST6 is 19.8mm and another popular Shanghai made movement LSE is 17.4mm. I don't know the model name of the smallest movement that doesn't look like a successful product, and is much less often seen.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soviet
    Shanghai SS5 movement is the largest lady watch movement at 20.8mm. Sea-gull ST6 is 19.8mm and another popular Shanghai made movement LSE is 17.4mm. I don't know the model name of the smallest movement that doesn't look like a successful product, and is much less often seen.
    Interesting. The SS5 is only slightly bigger than Zarja's 'big' movement. And it is available as a skeleton. This could be bad news for Zarja, who have made a 'floating movement' style watch, like the new Kometa, but of course the movement is not a skeleton.

Unless the Russians start investing in development, they are going to lose all their market niches to China. If small, elegant ladies watches come back in fashion, then Zarja, Chaika and Luch will do very well ... unless a Chinese manufacture developes another very small movement. I wonder why that smallest movement in your collection was not successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm
    Interesting. The SS5 is only slightly bigger than Zarja's 'big' movement. And it is available as a skeleton. This could be bad news for Zarja, who have made a 'floating movement' style watch, like the new Kometa, but of course the movement is not a skeleton.

Unless the Russians start investing in development, they are going to lose all their market niches to China. If small, elegant ladies watches come back in fashion, then Zarja, Chaika and Luch will do very well ... unless a Chinese manufacture developes another very small movement. I wonder why that smallest movement in your collection was not successful.
    I found lady watches are unattractive to watch fans everwhere. Even a slim girl with a small wrist likes a Rolex type watch these days. some 1950's man's watches are just too small for their taste. :-D I guess that is why those Russian tank commander divers are in fashion.

I don't see another one of the smallest watch so that I assume these were made in very small numbers due to quality problems. Mine is not working properly now.

Thread Information