Advice on my first mechanical watch

Thread: Advice on my first mechanical watch

Advice on my first mechanical watch

Hello everyone. Now I am totally new to a quality watch and I have a thread on here where others are helping me in the Public forum. Now I am unsure what I want to do as others are leading to to stick with brands such as Seiko if I buy automatic and Citizen Eco-Drive if I go quartz. What if I want a true mechanical hand wound model though? I like the idea of hand winding and making it part of my morning routine. I like the idea of hearing my watch ticking away and seeing the movement and such. Here is some info that might help:

up to $250 total price
    black easy to read dial
    no chronograph (can not see those small dials)
    am legally blind on both eyes from birth
    prefer stainless bracelet but am open to other ideas
    am seriously concerned about "made in China" quality and wonder if I should avoid it and just buy a Seiko
    I have no idea about brand name or where to buy them from
    want quality, want watch to last
    something I can admire and be proud of
    I never make a purchase like this for myself/want to treat myself
    will be buying in mid November

Thank you for the help.

Re: Advice on my first mechanical watch

Quote Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
    black easy to read dial
    am legally blind on both eyes from birth
    Without going into the other issues, just for this I'd say b-uhr (= beobachtungs uhr, observer's watch) style pilot watches. After all, these were the watches designed by the germans to be instantly and faultlessly readable for combat pilots of the Luftwaffe during WW2. Germans tend not to screw around when designing something like that. My Ticino was in the b-uhr style, to give you an idea:

(seen here on the typical riveted leather pilot watch strap, in this case from Steinhart)

There's a variety of brands that offer this type of watch. The 'nicer' brands such as Stowa and Steinhart tend to cost more than your budget, but there are some options.

Laco has a 42mm model for 198 euro, which is over your budget but since you're not from the EU you can get the 19% tax back. Laco was one of the original factories in Germany that built the b-uhr watches in WW2, so many consider them to be one of the rightful 'owners' of the design. It's not really important, but as part of the story it might appeal to you.

https://shop.laco.de/en/Pilot-Watch/...-A-brown1.html

Looking a bit further away than Germany, Ticino makes a model in both 44 and 47mm with the same Miyota movement used in the Laco, but without the pedigree and with Chinese parts for the rest of the watch. That does help lower the price:
    Sizzlin' Watches - The ultimate resource for high-end watches and watch parts
    Sizzlin' Watches - The ultimate resource for high-end watches and watch parts
    And back when I bought it, there was a reduced price for WUS members. Check the sales corner to see if Sizzlin Watches still offers that.

There's cheaper options like Parnis and Herc, but considering your desire for a reliable watch and since these fall into your budget I'd stick to the Miyota movements. I also personally feel the Laco connection to history is interesting, and might hit the right notes for the admire/proud of part. They are automatics, but they do have see-through casebacks that give you a glimpse of the movement. And there's nothing keeping you from winding the watch up every morning, you just don't have to if you wear it enough.

Thank you for the reply. I like the watch that you posted in your second link with the black band on it. I like this watch and think it is a good idea. Now is the Miyota a quality movement? I know it is made by citizen. I have also been looking at this watch:
    CountyComm - Maratac Pilot Automatic Watch
    it has a Miyota 8245 movement in it and it is clean and simple with bright lume. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. I love the Laco idea if I could afford one. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Now is the Miyota a quality movement? I know it is made by citizen.
    It's generally considered a workhorse movement on par with the Seiko's of similar quality, with the proper QC from a company like Citizen. QC is one of those things you take a chance with on the really cheap Chinese watches, which is why I'm not recommending them in this case. You might receive a bad model - which you could exchange without much of a problem with most sellers, that's not the problem, but it would sour the experience. Since it seems like you're not going to be playing around in the watch field (we tend to enjoy trying all kinds of 'm out and just take a few of the bad ones with the good) I'd say stick to the Miyota.

I have also been looking at this watch:
    CountyComm - Maratac Pilot Automatic Watch
    it has a Miyota 8245 movement in it and it is clean and simple with bright lume. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. I love the Laco idea if I could afford one. :)
    Definitely based on the same pilot watch design, with some variation in the hands used, the subdial seconds and the diagonal crown. While I'm not a fan of the b-uhr watches with subdial seconds (because they distract from the minimal, extremely readable design of the original dial) that Maratec does come with sapphire glass, which is more resistant to scratches than mineral. That's a definite bonus in this budget and increases the chances you'll keep the watch pristine over the years. The diagonal crown might be more comfortable than the regular crown, as it's intended to keep the crown from digging into your wrist when you flex. I'm personally not a fan of the look on this style watch, but it definitely has a use.

You'll also need to consider your wrist size when it comes to watches like this. 46/47mm is big, and because the watch has almost no bezel it will look even bigger optically. I sold my Ticino because it looked like a hockey puck on my tiny wrists

I have a 7 inch wrist and am wearing a 44mm Timex on it right now.....does that help any? My goal here is one nice/quality timepiece for my budget that I can enjoy.....yes I would like to collect and have a rotation but my limited income will not allow this. I have saved up for this purchase...cash, no credit card will be used. LOL :) I am not going in debt for a watch. I do not NEED this watch...I WANT this watch.

I have a 7 inch wrist and am wearing a 44mm Timex on it right now.....does that help any? My goal here is one nice/quality timepiece for my budget that I can enjoy...
    If you like the size of the Timex I'd say you're in safe territory. And the Maratec seems like a solid choice quality wise to me. I did a quick google search and reviews seem mainly positive, so if you like the design I'd say go for it. Do take into consideration that you get a nylon military one-piece strap with the Maratec, you might want to buy a leather strap for it to wear it on dressier occasions.

(on the other hand, this is all just my view on things. I'm sure there are other people on the forum who have suggestions?)

Thread Information