First ever Chinese mechanical pocket watch ... with wrist watch movement
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: First ever Chinese mechanical pocket watch ... with wrist watch movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First ever Chinese mechanical pocket watch ... with wrist watch movement

A box of watches which I recently acquired just for 1 piece movement continue to produce some doozies. Here is a pocket watch with Chinese ZCQ movement. Perhaps there is someone on this forum who can id when it might have been made? I don't think it's very old - 2000's? I admit I know nothing about Chinese watches. For all I know the same ZCQ movement has been made for the last 20-40 years? so it would be difficult to say with any degree of certainty.

Name:  ZCQ_125853 - Copy.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  97.1 KBName:  ZCQ_153228 - Copy.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  104.4 KB
    Nobody knows Everything, but Everybody knows Something!

Born in San Antonio, Texas - Living in Shanghai, China

Re: First ever Chinese mechanical pocket watch ... with wrist watch movement

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no "doozy" here. That is a no-name Chinese made pocket watch with a cheap tongji movement.

Here is a link to a ZCQ 17 jewel tongji movement that is in your watch for sale on Taobao for 25rmb, which is $3.50usd.
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=567634155526

You can read more about the tongji movement (also called the Chinese standard movement) here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_standard_movement
    Last edited by Monkey_like_watch; 1 Week Ago at 14:21.
    Wandering Ben likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_like_watch View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no "doozy" here. That is a no-name Chinese made pocket watch with a cheap tongji movement.

Here is a link to a ZCQ 17 jewel tongji movement that is in your watch for sale on Taobao for 25rmb, which is $3.50usd.

You can read more about the tongji movement (also called the Chinese standard movement) here:
    Thanks Mate, you definitely misunderstood but there is no "bubble bursting" here. Doozies a (plural of doozy) in my part of the world is often used to describe something problematic. So it is often used in the context of something being troublesome, difficult (simply negative) but can be used positively as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

ZCQ is the movement code for tongjis made by Chongqing Clock and Watch Company. It looks like there's a date code under the balance of yours. If I see it correctly the first two numbers are 86, indicating the movement's year of manufacture was 1986. Two more numbers after it will tell you which month.

The Chinese Watch Wiki is a useful resource:

Chinese Standard Movement - Chinese Watch Wiki

Chongqing Clock & Watch Company - Chinese Watch Wiki
    See my collection of Vintage Chinese Mechanical watches at myvcms.com

Quote Originally Posted by saskwatch View Post
    ZCQ is the movement code for tongjis made by Chongqing Clock and Watch Company. It looks like there's a date code under the balance of yours. If I see it correctly the first two numbers are 86, indicating the movement's year of manufacture was 1986. Two more numbers after it will tell you which month.

The Chinese Watch Wiki is a useful resource:

Chinese Standard Movement - Chinese Watch Wiki

Chongqing Clock & Watch Company - Chinese Watch Wiki
    Thanks - made in 1986? Wow, if that is so it's a real "vintage watch".

I also came across this old WUS ZCQ post here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/ch...cq-536716.html.

While cheap this watch is still fun and cool to carry around!
    Climbing and falling, with tip of tongue
    running laps around the hollow drain,
    three men remembers their bitter ex-dates
    passing by, their names flipped into a bottom

As this watch was made in 1986 (at least movement was), it would be a tongji after the economic reforms started - but private enterprises were still in their infancy. Was this movement/watch made in one of the state owned factories and up to good old standards, or assembled from dumpster diving by a Hong Kong based company with the legendarily poor finish?
    Monkey_like_watch likes this.
    Climbing and falling, with tip of tongue
    running laps around the hollow drain,
    three men remembers their bitter ex-dates
    passing by, their names flipped into a bottom

Born in San Antonio, Texas - Living in Shanghai, China

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Ben View Post
    As this watch was made in 1986 (at least movement was), it would be a tongji after the economic reforms started - but private enterprises were still in their infancy. Was this movement/watch made in one of the state owned factories and up to good old standards, or assembled from dumpster diving by a Hong Kong based company with the legendarily poor finish?
    That is a very good question, and something that Saskwatch or AlbertaTime might have more information about; from what I have read, the golden age of the tongji was in the 1970's; production has gotten subsequently worse since then.(per Wikipedia)
    China was also hit with the quartz crisis.

Realize that each factory made a version of the tongji. Some were definitely better than others.
    The best vintage examples of Standard(tongji) watches include Shanghai, Chunlei (Shanghai), Shuangling (Beijing), Polaris (Yantai) and Xihu (Hangzhou). -source: China Watch Wiki

Also, some factories didn't have to make the tongji. Sea-Gull had the ST5, ZuanShi had the SM1AK ( an incredible movement), and ZhongShan had a 9 jewel SN2 movement, which happens to be my least favorite movement to work on. I have bungled two of those movements trying to get the train wheel bridge and the train of wheels to meet up. Luckily. they are only 25rmb for a new movement, and now I have lots of extra SN2 parts.
    Last edited by Monkey_like_watch; 1 Week Ago at 20:32.
    Wandering Ben likes this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

...Also, some factories didn't have to make the tongji. Sea-Gull had the ST5, ZuanShi had the SM1AK ( an incredible movement), and ZhongShan had a 9 jewel SN2 movement, which happens to be my least favorite movement to work on.....
    While we're talking wristwatch-movement pocket watches, did you know that Zuanshi also used the SM1AK in a pocket watch, and that SN2 movements have been used in Hong Kong assembled pocket watches?

As for the origins of the Valro pocket watch; I'm getting more of a Hong Kong vibe from that. If there are any markings on the case back either inside or outside, that should answer the question.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    While we're talking wristwatch-movement pocket watches, did you know that Zuanshi also used the SM1AK in a pocket watch, and that SN2 movements have been used in Hong Kong assembled pocket watches?

As for the origins of the Valro pocket watch; I'm getting more of a Hong Kong vibe from that. If there are any markings on the case back either inside or outside, that should answer the question.
    Negative Chascomm, no markings that I can see.

Name:  ZCQ_160631 - Copy.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  124.6 KBName:  ZCQ_160655 - Copy.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  127.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information