How I found the truth about Parnis
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: How I found the truth about Parnis

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

How I found the truth about Parnis

I've read some crazy material about Parnis watches on forums, blogs, in magazines and never found a substantiated source. The biggest piece of misinformed Google search find say there is 5 watch companies in Canton (Guangzhou) make watches and put "Parnis" on them. Other information is just as bad. Take Wikipedia who is looking for citations. I'm an investigative reporter and my beats were government and corporate wrongdoing. A year ago this May 2015, I started a case. It usually takes about a year to do a case, get all one's sources together, document findings and communicate with sources, subjects and so forth. After everything is written, an independent source has to verify the findings.

I began by canvassing watch factories in Shenzhen until I found a legitimate manufacturer. I did find one. They make watches for some top name brand watches including Guess and in at least one case Glycine and then various other brands. My contact there is Liang Hui Qian. She was a well informed. I ordered watches from her and she had the real stuff. I followed up on the supposed multiple manufacturers and they didn't exist. I made contact with another watch company employee this time in Guangzhou. I found him on LinkedIn. He had knowledgeable sources and provided much information. Next, I hired an investigator in Guangzhou. I actually paid money for his services, which is typical in my field.

We spent weeks working together. It got so intense, I wound up living 12 & 13 hours ahead. Basically jet lag. My biorhythms are still out of sync. Aside from finding Parnis, we gathered a rich amount of research on Swiss watch companies with major production facilities in China, but that's another story.

In the famous post that says Buying a Parnis? Read this first, I found a major source of misinformation. The key phrase is "I have my theories, and that's what motivated me to write this post". Theories. The article also has this to say: "let's get something straight; Parnis is not a true brand, even if it's now been trademarked by a guy in Guangzhou."

The owner of Parnis is not some guy and his trademarks date back to 2005 in multiple locations, especially the EU facility in Spain. The "now been trademarked" comment is also misinformed. The recently renewed Trademark was filed in Shenzhen, not Canton (Guangzhou). The some guy is Xiao Jian Hong (Avi) who started the company 01Aug2005. We have all the registrations from China, inspection reports and so forth.

Parnis is a legitimate brand. It's a registered Chinese trading company and that's not an easy registration. The current government eased those restrictions, but Parnis was founded in a strict registration era. (Wall Street Journal, March 15, 2015 7:06 a.m. ET, Charles Hutzler).

Here's the trail: track first source, contact approximately 50 trading companies through purchase queries (weeks on Skype), found another information source through LinkedIN. Referred to investigators and found one fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese. Found the mailing agents. We found Suntime watch company - the provider for distributors, by locating a manufacturer's shop in a busy manufacturer's mall (Shop A026, NO. 61, West Station Road (ZhanXi Road), Guangzhou, China.). Tracked the manufacturing arm, Pa Jie and received quotes: MOQ models and pricing. Inspected showroom in Canton, found the factory, obtained all public registration documentations, trademark filings, ownership filings, and manufacturing inspection reports. Submitted findings to an independent source in Hong Kong, wrote article and had it reviewed.

Theories aside, the people working for the companies owned by Avi, don't speak English. They rely on distributors and many speak English. I did speak to distributors.

Why I did this? It's in my genes to solve mysteries.

I also hope this provides an informed document for others looking for the truth about Parnis and their other brands.

You can find my article at this link. Also, comments welcomed.

Tom
    Last edited by TomAdelstein; March 22nd, 2015 at 21:49. Reason: typos

Re: How I found the truth about Parnis

So a Parnis is a Parnis is a Parnis... And all this stuff about certain sellers having superior product over another is nonsense?

"Aside from finding Parnis, we gathered a rich amount of research on Swiss watch companies with major production facilities in China, but that's another story."

Blow the lid off...please.

Excellent article btw.
    Last edited by Jcp311; March 22nd, 2015 at 22:25.
    Sic'em Bears.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great!

yankeexpress likes this.
    excuse the bad iPhone shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HiramRanger View Post
    So a Parnis is a Parnis is a Parnis... And all this stuff about certain sellers having superior product over another is nonsense?
    I don't want to call it non-sense, but more like a someone's uninformed opinion.
    Last edited by TomAdelstein; March 24th, 2015 at 04:58. Reason: clarify answer

Quote Originally Posted by Jcp311 View Post
    "Aside from finding Parnis, we gathered a rich amount of research on Swiss watch companies with major production facilities in China, but that's another story."

Blow the lid off...please.

Excellent article btw.

Swatch, more likely than not, is one of the largest manufacturer of parts in China. The report, however, from "A Business History of the Swatch Group" page 44 says it's the largest company in turnover by millions of Yuan.
    Last edited by TomAdelstein; March 24th, 2015 at 04:58. Reason: correction

Your article says - "Experts compare Parnis quality to Swiss Made affordable luxury watches."

Then I stopped reading it.
    CGSshorty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Time View Post
    Your article says - "Experts compare Parnis quality to Swiss Made affordable luxury watches."

Then I stopped reading it.
    OK
    Last edited by TomAdelstein; March 24th, 2015 at 04:59.
    Chronopolis and Ajax_Drakos like this.

Wow, that's some detective work.
    I bet you are one of those that found out Santa was not real b4 parents come clean...

Thank you for sharing the write-up of your investigations and research.

Adds a new sheen of enjoyment to the two Parnis watches that I own and imagine does the same for other readers.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information