The really cheap skeleton watch from the online flea bay-market arrived after 2 weeks in transit. It looked awful, just as pictured on the seller's page.
It came with missing screw, finger prints on the insides, and no water proofing of any sorts, despite claiming a 1atm water resistance. Also, I doubt that any of the supposed stainless steel are even steel. Sanding down the surface of the case back reveals a copper colour.
With such low grade quality of materials, fit and finishing, I decided that it's the perfect platform to do custom modifications on it.
I have never done anything with a watch before, and it was one big learning experience. Of course, without the experience, I could not do much of anything to the automatic movement (I don't even have the proper tools!), and I learned that a typical swiss army knife is a great device for watchmakers.
It is called the 'bunny+bearpictures watch#1', based on the name of my photography studio. The aim was to make a playful and kitsch looking piece. I also wanted to see more of the moving wheels and gears on the semi-skeleton movement.
1. This is the thing I picked up. The design grammar is really poor.
2. Various pictures of dismantling. No surprise that a roughly moulded plastic piece is used to keep the watch movement in the centre of this big case.
3. Note the factory supplied finger prints on the rotor. The brand imprint on the rotor is really a thin copper plate that's tacked to the original rotor with a 1mm piece of double sided tape.
4. The majority of the redesign work is done on the dial, which looks like a photo etched thin steel plate. Mostly it involved cutting and filing.
5. The bunny and the bear: Doing this at home (nights after work), all I rummage from the store room are disused tin foils. It is far softer and malleable than I would like, but also made trimming and cutting easier. However this meant that these tiny pieces get dented with every careless bump of the knife/screwdriver/ file.
6. After detailing and finishing. Various stages of test fitting to final outcome.
I actually did some sort of rudimentary waterproofing to it using whittled down plumbing parts but alas, I forgot to take snaps of that. When I have the time, I might attempt to take the movement apart for decorating.