My recent Parnis Navitimer Style Watch

Thread: My recent Parnis Navitimer Style Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My recent Parnis Navitimer Style Watch

This watch has exceeded my expectations. Following is a very brief review.

My ratings take into account the low price paid. This one is not going to compete with a $4000 watch.... obviously.

Aesthetics- Excellent!

Taking a watch like this out of the box is shocking. This watch looks great! I base this opinion on having owned (and worn) a genuine Breitling Spatiographe years ago.

Quality: Very Good

Pros: Hands all line up- chrono resets well. E6B (my favorite toy) lines up very well without wiggle or slop. Computations are darn accurate on this little instrument.

Cons- My bezel suffered from extreme stiffness out of the box. Should you suffer this same problem you may find that pressing down on the bezel while turning helps during the "break in" period. I took mine apart (the one piece crystal/bezel simply popped right off with a thin blade wiggled lightly underneath) and found that there's a gasket that seals and ultimately governs the pressure required to turn it. Unfortunately the gasket does not sit in the groove perfectly on mine and there's a little extra friction as a result. I tried a low tech solution of piling resting weight on the case overnight. Ridiculous solution, but it seems to have compressed the gasket or forced it into place better. It's moving much better now.

Band is pretty average but not horrible.

Value- Very good. Looks like a watch worth ten-twenty times the cost. (I got lucky on an auction and paid under $25 shipped!)

Accuracy- seems to be perfect. Running two days with no significant change. (I am not monitoring seconds)

Functions:

Seconds- (6 o'clock position)
    Minutes- (9 o'clock position)
    Military Time (Hours) - (3 o'clock position) - this is not terribly useful, but interesting.

Last edited by Nightarcher; March 1st, 2009 at 21:14.

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

Re: My recent Parnis Navitimer Style Watch

Holy *&*%*%...the bezel turns?!?! I didn't realize that until your review...I just thought it was a fixed pseudo-bezel sorta thing, considering the cost In fairness, mine came lined up perfectly...

Here's mine w/light face:

Not really mechanical (unless a rotating bezel counts ), so I posted mine in "Affordables", but a heck of a great deal for the very similar bucks I paid for mine--you beat my win by 5 bucks. Mine also runs very, very well.

Good catch!

(psssssst...it's not a leap year...)
    Last edited by AlbertaTime; March 1st, 2009 at 21:37.
    Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

Nice catch! And under $25, it was a steal.

I almost fell out of my chair before I realized it was a quartz.

Cheers,
    gigfy
    Just to name a few:
    Sharkey SBDX001 Sharkmaster
    Seiko White Stargate SKZ323
    Hamilton Pioneer Mechanical H60419533
    Hamilton Limited Edition Pocket Watch H51459013
    Timex Camper Mechanical (May 1991)

-Gone
    Minorva Crazy Hours Mechanical
    Shanghai Military Diver Model 114 - 24 Jewel SS4 Automatic

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Urghhh-- my posting is flawed. Sorry to post a quartz in a mechanical forum! No hard feelings if this gets moved or deleted.

Now I am starting to wonder if the watch was designed to have the bezel rotated- or if I am forcing it to move. I may have to ask the seller or check the auction specs again. Honestly though-- mine is starting to slide around rather effortlessly. I think if the intent was to create a non moving bezel they could have secured it a lot better/more permanently.

One thing I left out on my review that's somewhat humorous (or a little disturbing). The crown has a decorative "B" on it. It's the same exact font, size and style as Breitling.

It's very possible these same parts are used on blatant fakes. Or- maybe they were bought from same supply lines? Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    Urghhh-- my posting is flawed. Sorry to post a quartz in a mechanical forum! No hard feelings if this gets moved or deleted.

Now I am starting to wonder if the watch was designed to have the bezel rotated- or if I am forcing it to move. I may have to ask the seller or check the auction specs again. Honestly though-- mine is starting to slide around rather effortlessly. I think if the intent was to create a non moving bezel they could have secured it a lot better/more permanently.
    No worries. It's a Parnis and most of them are mechanical.

Well.... now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing a tachymeter scale bezel that rotates. You may just have 'opened' a can of worms. No pun intended.

Cheers,
    gigfy
    Just to name a few:
    Sharkey SBDX001 Sharkmaster
    Seiko White Stargate SKZ323
    Hamilton Pioneer Mechanical H60419533
    Hamilton Limited Edition Pocket Watch H51459013
    Timex Camper Mechanical (May 1991)

-Gone
    Minorva Crazy Hours Mechanical
    Shanghai Military Diver Model 114 - 24 Jewel SS4 Automatic

GQ1

Sweet watch. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by gigfy View Post
    Well.... now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing a tachymeter scale bezel that rotates. You may just have 'opened' a can of worms. No pun intended.

Cheers,
    gigfy
    It isn't the tachy bezel that is being rotated, it is the outer ring of the slide rule. My guess is that it should rotate.

There is a tachymeter scale on the inside of the chapter ring.

I have one incoming and paid with shipping $ 39. Looking forward to getting it in a few weeks.

MLC
    Banned

I'm sure someone here will quickly explain away the reason your Parnis Chronometer has a Breitling crown on it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MLC View Post
    I'm sure someone here will quickly explain away the reason your Parnis Chronometer has a Breitling crown on it!
    Hey...the troll is back

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information