Mystery of word “Zuan” using on Shanghai A581 is CLEARED!!!!

Thread: Mystery of word “Zuan” using on Shanghai A581 is CLEARED!!!!

Mystery of word “Zuan” using on Shanghai A581 is CLEARED!!!!

Few days ago, I have a chance to talk with the watch master - Mr Ni (former Shanghai Watch Factory Technician) in his workshop. We have a discussion on when and why did the SHW factory to replaced the form of the Chinese word “Zuan” from a simple way of “Zuan” to a more complicated “Zuan”on A 581’s dial.

He’s agreed my point of view, based on the launching time and the existing sample of model A-631 ladies watches, the time line of the factory using complicated form of “Zuan” on their products was about 1964. But why did they change? I need more evidence…
    He stated that there was a Govenment Notice issued on 60’s to announce the new regulations on using simply Chinese words, or I can find out something from this announcement.

After searching the internet, I found that on 7 March 1964, Chinese Government - Chinese Words Revolution Committee, National Culture Bureau, National Education Bureau (中国文字改革委员会中华人民共和国文化部中华人民共和国教育部) had published an announcement on standardize of using simply Chinese words “《关于简化字的联合通知》” to public. On its appendix, “Simply Words General Chart 《简化字总表》”- Chart 1, I found the word “Zuan” in both simply & traditional Chinese there……. So, it’s all cleared!!!

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Mystery of word “Zuan” using on Shanghai A581 is CLEARED!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joelchan View Post
    Few days ago, I have a chance to talk with the watch master - Mr Ni (former Shanghai Watch Factory Technician) in his workshop. We have a discussion on when and why did the SHW factory to replaced the form of the Chinese word “Zuan” from a simple way of “Zuan” to a more complicated “Zuan”on A 581’s dial.

He’s agreed my point of view, based on the launching time and the existing sample of model A-631 ladies watches, the time line of the factory using complicated form of “Zuan” on their products was about 1964. But why did they change? I need more evidence…
    He stated that there was a Govenment Notice issued on 60’s to announce the new regulations on using simply Chinese words, or I can find out something from this announcement.

After searching the internet, I found that on 7 March 1964, Chinese Government - Chinese Words Revolution Committee, National Culture Bureau, National Education Bureau (中国文字改革委员会中华人民共和国文化部中华人民共和国教育部) had published an announcement on standardize of using simply Chinese words “《关于简化字的联合通知》” to public. On its appendix, “Simply Words General Chart 《简化字总表》”- Chart 1, I found the word “Zuan” in both simply & traditional Chinese there……. So, it’s all cleared!!!
    Brilliant detective work!

Thank you, Joel.

Thanks for the research. So it would be safe to say that post 1964 581s might have the 2 radical Zuan while the earlier ones have the single radical Zuan?

Someone should write a book on Shanghai Watches for collectors. Are there any books written in Chinese?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alfanator View Post
    So it would be safe to say that post 1964 581s might have the 2 radical Zuan while the earlier ones have the single radical Zuan?
    Yep---that's exactly what I'd like to know. I've seen 581s with the original 581 movement but double character...and I thought they were frankens up till now. But now I don't know...
    Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

Quote Originally Posted by alfanator View Post
    Thanks for the research. So it would be safe to say that post 1964 581s might have the 2 radical Zuan while the earlier ones have the single radical Zuan?

Yes

Someone should write a book on Shanghai Watches for collectors. Are there any books written in Chinese?
    I was told that there is a book published months ago and selling in Hong Kong, but still have no chance to get a copy.

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

Keep in mind that Joel told me (thanks, Joel!) that he had not seen a legitimate black 581 with the two radical zuan so far.
    Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

Thanks Joel. I also heard about a book, but never saw it yet.

Anyone know the title of this book? I have some friends in HK that could pick some up and bring to Shanghai...

Just back from HK for my vacation. I've walked and checked servial book store for this in HK and seems out of stock for a long time. But finially, found a copy from a Beijing book store via internet. I have a quick look of it, very nice printing, very nice photos shooting, quit heavy... but seems not so informative on 60's or later Chinese made watches. It has only 7 out of 251 pages, a small section talking on some main bands, such as Tianjin, Shanghai, Beijing and..... THAT'S IT!

Thread Information