A new version of 21 jewels automatic?

Thread: A new version of 21 jewels automatic?

A new version of 21 jewels automatic?

I never openned this 21 jewels Shuangcheng (double towns) watch before, and thought its automatic movement was the same as my Guangzhou 21 jewels automatic. But it is not exactly the same. It is still based on a 21600 bph standard movement, but the automatic mechanism is quite different. The manual winding gears are not engaged when not winding, and the layout of other gears are not the same. The other movement is a 33 jewels Beijing railway automatic.

This watch was made by Beijing Watch factory probably in late 1980's. On the dial, it says 17 jewels?! :-D and it is a date automatic watch. I will post an image of this watch later.

So this is a quite uncommon automatic standard movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: A new version of 21 jewels automatic?

Here is the watch. The movement made it a very uncommon watch. It has a different style S/S case and a nice luminous hands and hour markers dial.

I found the 21 jewels automatic is a one direction winding movement. It might be a prototype.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: A new version of 21 jewels automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by soviet
    I never openned this 21 jewels Shuangcheng (double towns) watch before, and thought its automatic movement was the same as my Guangzhou 21 jewels automatic. But it is not exactly the same. It is still based on a 21600 bph standard movement, but the automatic mechanism is quite different. The manual winding gears are not engaged when not winding, and the layout of other gears are not the same. The other movement is a 33 jewels Beijing railway automatic.

This watch was made by Beijing Watch factory probably in late 1980's. On the dial, it says 17 jewels?! :-D and it is a date automatic watch. I will post an image of this watch later.

So this is a quite uncommon automatic standard movement.
    That's very unusual! To relocate the click device on the mainspring and completely change the hand-winding mechanism is a lot of changes to the base movement.

Some of the complecated watches currently manufactured in Shanghai have a Standard automatic movement. I will have to look for some pictures to see what the winding gear looks like.

In fact the existence of the Shanghai standard auto being produced at the same time as (in competition with?) the B variants, and both movements being used for similar calendar complications, causes me to wonder whether the Shanghai factories still remain autonomous of each other even under the new Shangahai New Century company.

Thread Information