Planning for obsolescence or just a stupid idea?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cestusrex
  • 1 Post By LCheapo

Thread: Planning for obsolescence or just a stupid idea?

Planning for obsolescence or just a stupid idea?

I've been contemplating future purchases and have a short list of oddballs. One is a Starking. I know, I know. They're a crapshoot, but follow me. You get a stainless case, sapphire crystal, and with some models a steel bracelet with a deployment clasp for around $50. Try to find all those parts separately for $50 AND remember you get a 28800 bph movement on top of that. Yes, it might be DOA or die in a year or two but that takes me to my next step; movement replacement. Since it is based on the Miyota 82 series you SHOULD be able to drop in a DG2813, NN2813, ST2100, ETA 2836, or a Liaoning SL3000? The swap might also require a dial and/or hands change but that's part of the fun, right? So, sound like a possibility or a bad idea looking to take advantage of a poor horological hobbyist?

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Planning for obsolescence or just a stupid idea?

Other on this forum have undertaken these kinds of projects. so long as you have all the measurements for the movement that you're swapping out and the measurements for the movement that you're swapping in, there should not be too many surprises. Play close attention to not only the total thickness but also the stem-to-dial height. And the hand sizes. But you probably know all that already.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Yes, Brightling007 posted on the Starking thread that he had been doing swaps in the other direction; putting Starking SK movements in cases for DG, Miyota, and ETA movements. Since it works that way, which doesn't require a dial change or hand swap (if using ETA hands), then why not the other way?
    Chascomm likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Are the stems interchangeable between the movements? Otherwise I imagine the water resistance of the watch will be lost.

Stems might be a concern, but shortening one isn't a problem and if you need a longer one then a visit to Esslinger's or Ofrei's websites should handle it. Plus I'm not too concerned about water resistance with a dress watch; Starking only claims 50m anyway.

Sounds like you should try it! Definitely let us know.

Just keep in mind that $50 in your retirement fund at 7% over 40 years is $748 and 72 cents. Which will probably not buy you a watch; I mean, who wears watches in 2059 anyway?
    watchcrank likes this.

Thread Information