Seagull Military Chrono help

Thread: Seagull Military Chrono help

Seagull Military Chrono help

The reissue of the original 1963 chronograph is nearly finished being manufactured. Seagull has also designed a very nice wooden box for those that want the watch and aren't worried about authenticity.

For the rest there is a sticking point.... the original strap design. Seagull only has one example of the original and no one seems to be able to remember what the original strap looked like. The original has spring bars, so I figure it was 2 piece and I have seen it in person and the strap on it now ( may or may not be the original) looks to be sort of a well worn dark brown saddle leather look. The age and wear on the strap would be consistent with what you could expect of a much handled nos piece.

Any ideas?

Re: Seagull Military Chrono help

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    The reissue of the original 1963 chronograph is nearly finished being manufactured. Seagull has also designed a very nice wooden box for those that want the watch and aren't worried about authenticity.

For the rest there is a sticking point.... the original strap design. Seagull only has one example of the original and no one seems to be able to remember what the original strap looked like. The original has spring bars, so I figure it was 2 piece and I have seen it in person and the strap on it now ( may or may not be the original) looks to be sort of a well worn dark brown saddle leather look. The age and wear on the strap would be consistent with what you could expect of a much handled nos piece.

Any ideas?
    Well! No.

I assume that if this is as faithful as they can get (P.S., that is what I'd be saving my kitty shekels for) then...well, it'd have to be leather, right?

Does it look like a bund-type strap? For some reason, I'd see it with a bund-type strap.

Will this thing have a solid back? One hopes. I have seen a killer Bund repro chrono with the Seagull movement that I wish was a little smaller in the case, I really hate the huge plastic spacer thingy in the case.

Miao, Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Cat91 View Post
    Well! No.

I assume that if this is as faithful as they can get (P.S., that is what I'd be saving my kitty shekels for) then...well, it'd have to be leather, right?

Does it look like a bund-type strap? For some reason, I'd see it with a bund-type strap.

Will this thing have a solid back? One hopes. I have seen a killer Bund repro chrono with the Seagull movement that I wish was a little smaller in the case, I really hate the huge plastic spacer thingy in the case.

Miao, Cat
    The only difference from the original will be a stainless case instead of the originals chromed brass, and the bezel insert ring is also stainless instead of brass. Here is a poor picture:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Jeff,
    which will be the case size ? And which will be the crystal materia (hesalite, mineral, sapphire) ?

Thanks,

Engi

P.S Received the Seagull, seems all OK, thanks

I will be seeing the sample today and will let you know. The case size is about the same as the other seagulls (like yours)

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    The only difference from the original will be a stainless case instead of the originals chromed brass, and the bezel insert ring is also stainless instead of brass. Here is a poor picture:

Now that's purty!

This gal's a chrono freak and that looks like a Must Have. I have your eBay store bookmarked and when that one pops up we'll have to go get one, I think.

That strap looks like a later addition to me. It is a 20mm strap, too big for the 19mm lugs of the case. The watch itself looks older than the strap, too.

I'd say, though, that the original probably wasn't much different. When you consider the time, being just before the 1965 Cultural Revolution, you're looking at a period where they're using technology not too different from the Russians of that time. Think the Chinese might have used a copy of the 3017 Strela's original band? I think it was 2-piece leather as well, probably unadorned, with buckle the same colour as the watch case. My guess is that for a military chrono the PLAAF would have had a pretty basic watch strap of heavy leather with a solid buckle, nondescript but tough, and probably brown or black.

Miao, Cat
    Last edited by Cat91; December 8th, 2006 at 01:32. Reason: Added something

Is this one out already?

Thread Information