Service advice for a A-7750

Thread: Service advice for a A-7750

Service advice for a A-7750

My watch with a 7750 stoppEd working can anyone refer me someone who can fix it? Also is it possible to swap it with a real eta 7750 it'd be worth it for me to swap rather than repair but willing to do either.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Service advice for a A-7750

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnj86 View Post
    My watch with a 7750 stoppEd working can anyone refer me someone who can fix it? Also is it possible to swap it with a real eta 7750 it'd be worth it for me to swap rather than repair but willing to do either.
    The only service advice I can offer to somebody who doesn't live in the same town as me is to get out the phonebook and make some calls. Avoid jewellers as they all subcontract. Look for the old guys with no street frontage. If the watchmaker makes some comment about 'Chinese is not worth fixing', don't argue, just move on.

The cost of buying, installing and adjusting an ETA 7750 will like be more than the cost of servicing a Chinese auto chrono. Chances are your watch simply needs a full service, after which it should run as well as the Swiss movement.

However, if the watch in question is a fake of a famous Swiss brand, then you are your own worst enemy. The watch will likely have been assembled without care (or oil), probably in a dusty environment. As anybody here will tell you, fakes are not worth it.
    Last edited by Chascomm; April 27th, 2010 at 05:34.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I too would like to know about interchangeability, especially between a Shanghai 28.8k 7750 and the ETA/Valjoux.

I'd love to buy a malfunctioning Prometheus CR1, and then buy whatever $200-300 Swiss chrono I next see on a DoD site, and put the Prometheus day/date, dial, hands and rotor on the Valjoux 7750 and drop it in the CR1 case. I think it would be an awesome watch for $400 or so invested. I might still try to do it if the winding mechanism is different and I can't use the Prometheus rotor, but the other parts I'd still want to interchange.

EDIT: if you do find a suitable watchmaker, what would you expect to pay for a full service on an autowinding chronograph?
    Last edited by SND195; April 28th, 2010 at 21:10.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear,
    correctly servicing a 7750/51
    will take quite some effort.
    around 300/350 Euro's is quite normal.
    I've not seen the Asian one yet. (if someone in NL or B can give me one I will do it with pleasure!) The problem is that knowing I can't get spares etc. will make the job even more difficult. although I don't need to think when dissasambling a 7750/51.
    I serviced the ST19 several times, quality was good, really good!, it was the Ingersoll chrono.
    service: almost price of the watch unfortunately.......................
    As TO ARCH say: go green, go mechanical... If people don't service their watch: It is not really green..... Or am I mising a point now?
    going green: leaving consumers mentality also...
    As my vintage SAAB 96 is running on gas (LPG), same CO2 amount as the VW golf 1.9 FSI, the small stupid modern VW car....... (this was during APK/MOT inspection, last year)
    As also: the CO2 produced when the car was made is now covering/equaling (?? correct english ??) for 34 years. or am I caried away now

regards,
    RJ van Melle.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SND195 View Post
    I too would like to know about interchangeability, especially between a Shanghai 28.8k 7750 and the ETA/Valjoux.

I'd love to buy a malfunctioning Prometheus CR1, and then buy whatever $200-300 Swiss chrono I next see on a DoD site, and put the Prometheus day/date, dial, hands and rotor on the Valjoux 7750 and drop it in the CR1 case. I think it would be an awesome watch for $400 or so invested. I might still try to do it if the winding mechanism is different and I can't use the Prometheus rotor, but the other parts I'd still want to interchange.
    Are you likely to find a malfunctioning CR1? I thought the reliability was reputed to be good on those. Also I don't think that replacing a Shanghai 2L with a base-spec 7750 is an 'upgrade', just a change of motor. Regarding the swapping of the rotor; I don't know if there are any differences in the rotor hub, but there are differences in other parts of the auto-winding mechanism. The Shanghai is actually the better of the two in that regard.

There may possibly be some incompatibility between the winding stems of the 7750 and various clones, however sometimes generic aftermarket parts for ETA movements can vary, too. Especially as all ETA mechanical movements have been in production for a long time, with incremental changes along the way.

Service costs for auto chronos can vary greatly depending on where in the world you live, but expect to pay somewhere between $200 and $400.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Are you likely to find a malfunctioning CR1?
    There's one with dead day/date function on the sales forum right now. Buying it and paying somebody $200 to take it apart would not be feasible compared to buying a perfect one for $250-275.

Can one expect a new chrono from Accutron or Victorinox to be properly lubed? I'm guessing that the Shanghai movement is probably sold dry.

Thread Information