Shanghai 7621 day/date watch

Thread: Shanghai 7621 day/date watch

Shanghai 7621 day/date watch

Shanghai 7621 model watches should have been made since 1976 according to the way Shanghai Watch Factory designated their watch models. This is a quick set day/date watch that is quite sophisticated for a Chinese watch at the time. This is a less common Shanghai watch than those later day/date Diamond watches with a chrome-plated or titanium plated cases. And it appears to be better made than Shuang Ling quick set day/date watches.
    It has a well polished movement with a kind of stripe that I only found in those export Chunlei watches. It also has a magnetic shield.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Shanghai 7621 day/date watch

Quote Originally Posted by soviet
    Shanghai 7621 model watches should have been made since 1976 according to the way Shanghai Watch Factory designated their watch models. This is a quick set day/date watch that is quite sophisticated for a Chinese watch at the time. This is a less common Shanghai watch than those later day/date Diamond watches with a chrome-plated or titanium plated cases. And it appears to be better made than Shuang Ling quick set day/date watches.
    It has a well polished movement with a kind of stripe that I only found in those export Chunlei watches. It also has a magnetic shield.
    A beautiful watch with a beautiful movement It is certainly an export-quality product in every sense. Do you think it was produced on the same production lines as the Chunlei?

And how do you interpret the elaborate Shanghai logo? Do you think it has any particular meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm
    A beautiful watch with a beautiful movement It is certainly an export-quality product in every sense. Do you think it was produced on the same production lines as the Chunlei?

And how do you interpret the elaborate Shanghai logo? Do you think it has any particular meaning?
    Shanghai Watch Factory also made some Baoshihua brand watches that was a brand of the Nr.2 factory. So I think it would be easier for internal cooperation in the factory. Chunlei and Shanghai brand watches might be made on the same production line with additional decoration and QC for the export Chunlei watches.
    For comparison, here is a Beijing Shuangling day/date watch that was apparantly made for domestic market only with only Chinese characters weekdays. It was probably made in later years, but the quality was not as good.

I heard that only Shanghai made Shanghai brand watches has such a fine patterned caseback. Shanghai watches made by smaller factories has a simple patterned or roughly made casebacks to lower the production cost. These also have a low cost, easy to make dial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have no idea if it may be a coincidence, but that Shanghai caseback is somewhat reminscent of the ones from the Seiko divers of the same era... although in that context, the wave pattern was meant to denote water-resistency. On a tangent note, do you guys know if Shanghai (or any other Chinese manufacturers) ever manufactured diving watches? It surprises me that given the large volume of watches produced, and the seemingly endless variants, none of the factories took it upon themself to devise a waterproof case? This is particularly surprising to me given that many factories obviously had sufficient managerial autonomy to design their own movements. A different case design would be relatively easy to accomplish.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infinitime
    I have no idea if it may be a coincidence, but that Shanghai caseback is somewhat reminscent of the ones from the Seiko divers of the same era... although in that context, the wave pattern was meant to denote water-resistency.
    I think the similarity might be coincidental, as the Seiko wave logo has a particularly Japanese cultural significance i.e. it is modelled on the famous woodcut 'The Great Wave Off Kanegawa'

On a tangent note, do you guys know if Shanghai (or any other Chinese manufacturers) ever manufactured diving watches? It surprises me that given the large volume of watches produced, and the seemingly endless variants, none of the factories took it upon themself to devise a waterproof case? This is particularly surprising to me given that many factories obviously had sufficient managerial autonomy to design their own movements. A different case design would be relatively easy to accomplish.
    Well those Rolex-replica Jin Mao watches sort of prove that. How hard would it have been to produce a watch like that for the Chinese navy? So it is surprising that there doesn't seem to be any Tianjin or Shanghai equivalent.

Thread Information