Sports Watches with Chinese Movements?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Sports Watches with Chinese Movements?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sports Watches with Chinese Movements?

Are there any non-homage sport watches (metal bracelet, water resistance, looking primarily for a diver or field watch) made by Chinese brands that have a Chinese movement? From what I've seen, I've only run across the Seagull Ocean Star and just wanted to see if there were any other options. Most of the other options that I've run across have either a Japanese movement or are an homage. Thanks for the help!

Re: Sports Watches with Chinese Movements?

Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy00 View Post
    Are there any non-homage sport watches (metal bracelet, water resistance, looking primarily for a diver or field watch) made by Chinese brands that have a Chinese movement? From what I've seen, I've only run across the Seagull Ocean Star and just wanted to see if there were any other options. Most of the other options that I've run across have either a Japanese movement or are an homage. Thanks for the help!
    Welcome to WUS forum, simpleguy00

I am going to put my two cents in before the horde shows up trying to convince you to buy a Parnis, Tevise, Corguet, et al.

Finding a "true" Chinese dive watch in China is hard to come by. The Ocean Star seems be the only dive watch offered by the major Chinese brands: Sea-Gull, Beijing, Peacock, Fiyta, Tianwang.
    There are some decent military watches that are being offered by Sea-Gull and Beijing but I don't think those have much WR and are not on metal bracelets.
    Finding one of these outside of China might be hard to do unless you get a Taobao/JD.com agent.

That being said, sports watches aren't really "a thing" in China. Many Chinese that I know will satisfy their desire for a sports watch by buying a G Shock if they can't afford a Rolex or Omega sports watch.
    On that note: from the research I have seen recently, foreign made watch purchases appear to beat Chinese made watch purchases.

TBH, flashy fashion is the big thing here. Dress watches with unique designs tend to be the new status quo for most of the major brands these days (look at the offerings from Peacock or the Photography line from Fiyta). Although the traditional dress watch is still easy to come across.

Honestly, your best bet is going to be the Ocean Star if you want a watch that ticks all your boxes. Unless you go with one of the countless homages offered by those other "Chinese brands".

Oh!
    Have you seen their new LE Ocean Star?
    https://www.sea-gullmall.com/goods/d..._custom/0.html
    Chascomm, Pneuma and Danfried like this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Welcome to Watchuseek!

I was going to suggest Jiusko, but then I discovered that they offer Chinese mechanical movements in non-sports watches, but Japanese mechanical movements in their sports watches. I think that it is a similar deal with Fiyta. My next thought was the Dixmont brand by Guangzhou Five Goats watch company, but right now I can't find a current link for them. My last idea was Longio, as they can always be counted on for original design, but once again, unless you can bear the expense of a tourbillon or a chronograph, you will have to settle for a Swiss movement.

So I think you might be right that apart from the Ocean Star, when it comes to sports watches you get Chinese design or Chinese movement but not both.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Great finds! That Shanghai 614 looks great.

(the Diamond 3200 appears to have a Japanese Miyota movement)
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_like_watch View Post
    Welcome to WUS forum, simpleguy00

I am going to put my two cents in before the horde shows up trying to convince you to buy a Parnis, Tevise, Corguet, et al.

Finding a "true" Chinese dive watch in China is hard to come by. The Ocean Star seems be the only dive watch offered by the major Chinese brands: Sea-Gull, Beijing, Peacock, Fiyta, Tianwang.
    There are some decent military watches that are being offered by Sea-Gull and Beijing but I don't think those have much WR and are not on metal bracelets.
    Finding one of these outside of China might be hard to do unless you get a Taobao/JD.com agent.

That being said, sports watches aren't really "a thing" in China. Many Chinese that I know will satisfy their desire for a sports watch by buying a G Shock if they can't afford a Rolex or Omega sports watch.
    On that note: from the research I have seen recently, foreign made watch purchases appear to beat Chinese made watch purchases.

TBH, flashy fashion is the big thing here. Dress watches with unique designs tend to be the new status quo for most of the major brands these days (look at the offerings from Peacock or the Photography line from Fiyta). Although the traditional dress watch is still easy to come across.

Honestly, your best bet is going to be the Ocean Star if you want a watch that ticks all your boxes. Unless you go with one of the countless homages offered by those other "Chinese brands".

Oh!
    Have you seen their new LE Ocean Star?
    https://www.sea-gullmall.com/goods/d..._custom/0.html
    Any review with the Ocean Star? im very interested. There is a upgraded version with ceramic bezel and upgraded lume

Quote Originally Posted by didu View Post
    Any review with the Ocean Star? im very interested. There is a upgraded version with ceramic bezel and upgraded lume
    There are many:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=seag...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Really appreciate the replies, will have to dig into some of the options!
    Chascomm likes this.

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

From looking at good-stuffs.com it seems all the inexpensive BWAFs are using low-end Miyota series now (Fiyta's bad influence I guess), and most of the higher-priced Diamond watches (those branded "Diamond" instead of Zuan Shi) use Miyota as well. Those Diamonds and BWAFs previously posted about are probably all Miyota movements.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

I noticed several of those dive-style watches have 50m or even only 30m water resistance (防水) listed in their specs. The Seagull Ocean Star has 200m... I know that Seiko recommends at least 100m if you're going to take your watch swimming or snorkelling.
    Monkey_like_watch likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information