Starking Automatic - Page 14
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Starking Automatic

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Bunker Hill Village, Texas, United States

Re: Starking Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by ohhenry1 View Post
    On the subject of stainless steel and Starkings, what do you believe the Starking Piaget Polo S chronograph homage to be made of? All stainless? Or stainless back with alloy case?
    The back of mine says "All Stainless Steel", and I have no reason to doubt it. The bracelet has folded links, but it seems better than most other similarly constructed bracelets I've owned.

Mine is blue, and the color is very subdued compared to the listing pictures. In low light it almost looks gray, and in sunlight the blue is muted, like a "Blue Jean" color. The quartz chronograph movement works, but often requires manual realignment after use. This is an in-house movement, so its overall quality and longevity is an unknown.

For the $20 I paid, it's not a bad watch, but don't expect Seiko-like reliability.
    "Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered."

Bunker Hill Village, Texas, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Brightling007 View Post
    I know, yet by far most 316L steel samples I have are slightly magnetic, just enough to feel it when help up against a small neodymium bar magnet. I've just had a look inside the Guanqin, there is not much suspicious about it to the naked eye, and it could even be a two part casing, with a bush pressed in to it.

Only one way to tell by means I have at hand is to drill in to a lug hole and investigate some shavings under my microscope.

I may have been wrong about the material after all, and if that is the truth it is quite a nicely polished casing.

Mine looks a bit different from that at the back, says only "st.steel"...Attachment 13569241Attachment 13569243
    BTW - Gearbest now has this model for $31.75 ($43.75 w/additional $12 discount in cart)
    Brightling007 and Ipse like this.
    "Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered."

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonReal View Post
    The case back also reads "ALL STAINLESS". Then again, it says "Swiss Made", as well.
    Yikes. I'm no fan of most clones, but as is often pointed out, they are legal. This isn't. Whatever domestic laws China may have about selling products with false information engraved on them, exporting a product with a false designation of origin is in violation of most (likely all) current trade treaties. Further (and admitting I am not a lawyer), I believe that importing an item with a false country of origin has been illegal in the United States since the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act of 1930, not to mention that deceptive labeling is illegal under consumer protection laws. I suspect similar laws exist in most other countries.
    Ale De Alis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sterling has some new automatics with third hand complication that look very nice on Amazon. Prices are from $45 to $75 depending on strap or mesh and date complications.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HH452DG?th=1

I succumbed to this one..32 bucks!
    Worried though that I will lose my mind if it needs setting after a week in the drawer....so many hands...
    Ale De Alis likes this.
    It's time...

My new Black Sterling AM 0184. Looks much better than its price class. It actually looks good and much better than it cost. The bracelet is NOT FOLDED. The date dial for this watch is small but properly aligned, unlike my gold Sterling (which also has issues in getting the crown to the date change position).

I am impressed with the initial quality. Almost everything is spot on. One hour index is off, but that is minor for its price. Now if reliable, reasonably accurate with decent power reserve, it is a good buy.

Name:  20181019_171111_resized.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  231.4 KB

My new Black Sterling gained 8 seconds in the approximately 16 hours since I set it up to the atomic clock. So out of the box, the accuracy seems to be about 12spd. It was on wrist or on power winder. This is decent performance. This is impressive for a $46 watch. I might get a white, but people have reported qc problems with white in a previous batches. The white with 12 and 6 arabic numerals has 2 day shipping. But I wouuld prefer white with no numerals just to have something different.
    HereComesTheBOOM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ronkatct View Post
    My new Black Sterling gained 8 seconds in the approximately 16 hours since I set it up to the atomic clock. So out of the box, the accuracy seems to be about 12spd. It was on wrist or on power winder. This is decent performance. This is impressive for a $46 watch. I might get a white, but people have reported qc problems with white in a previous batches. The white with 12 and 6 arabic numerals has 2 day shipping. But I wouuld prefer white with no numerals just to have something different.
    I have an AM0184 with no numerals on the dial. I like yours better!
    Mine was +12/15 spd, too. Three days ago dropped to - 2/3 spd without any regulation. Let's hope it keeps going on like this.
    Last edited by Ale De Alis; October 21st, 2018 at 01:06.
    ronkatct likes this.

^ I want a white starking am0184 without arabic numerals, as i have a black with .

Quote Originally Posted by ronkatct View Post
    ^ I want a white starking am0184 without arabic numerals, as i have a black with .
    Starking AM0184 is without arabic numerals.
    Starking AM0194 is with arabic numerals.
    Luckily for you, AM0184 exist in white, while AM0194 also exist in white but with golden inlay (but you don't want AM0194 in white anyway).
    Aliexpress opened pre-order for 11/11 but AM0184 is not as low as the previous promotion.
    ronkatct likes this.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information