Starking Automatic - Page 22
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Starking Automatic

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Re: Starking Automatic

Just to update. I won't keep updating on the timekeeping, just if it stops working :)

The watch seems to be a steady +4s per day. I can;t see much point in checking it in all the different "resting" positions. I always out of habit put my watches face up and 4s is pretty darned good. Beats the accuracy of my 7S26B's +15s and my Technos Goldshield "60s" Franken watch. The Franken is actually quite good with a Fontainemelon movement in it averaging about 10s per day.

Time will tell (no pun intended) if this lasts the decade+ of the Seiko and the ??? years of the Franken but so far so good. Maybe I just get lucky with watches?
    Last edited by GreenNeedle; December 16th, 2018 at 21:34.

If my am0194 rests (12h) crown up, the watch is about -10. If it rests (12h) dial up, it's about +10. To achieve great accuracy I should change its position once a day!
    ronkatct likes this.

Just wear your Starking and move your arm all around and you will wind your Starking and ensure its accuracy.
    Ale De Alis and GreenNeedle like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ale De Alis View Post
    If my am0194 rests (12h) crown up, the watch is about -10. If it rests (12h) dial up, it's about +10. To achieve great accuracy I should change its position once a day!
    Time it in all positions, then wear it and figure out how your wear pattern combines to make it run. Then find the best position to rest it overnight to add or subtract time by which the watch drifted during the day. Whether intentional or not, that's the way that most of the truthful tales of extreme mechanical accuracy we see reported on this website are achieved. (Most, I suspect, are instead exaggerations, rose-tinted mis-remembrances, or outright fibs, though a very, very few probably are simply preternaturally accurate watches.)

The above technique assumes you wear the same watch multiple days in a row, which far from everyone on this site does, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
    Time it in all positions, then wear it and figure out how your wear pattern combines to make it run. Then find the best position to rest it overnight to add or subtract time by which the watch drifted during the day. Whether intentional or not, that's the way that most of the truthful tales of extreme mechanical accuracy we see reported on this website are achieved. (Most, I suspect, are instead exaggerations, rose-tinted mis-remembrances, or outright fibs, though a very, very few probably are simply preternaturally accurate watches.)

The above technique assumes you wear the same watch multiple days in a row, which far from everyone on this site does, of course.
    I'll try it in the "crown up" position for the next few days (nights) and see if the EcoDrive catches up with the Starking.
    Last edited by GreenNeedle; December 22nd, 2018 at 14:03.

This morning I was setting the time and my AM0194's heart stopped for about 10 min.
    It raised from the dead all by itself
    Not exactly the most reliable movement
    Last edited by Ale De Alis; December 20th, 2018 at 15:16.
    Brightling007 and watchcrank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ale De Alis View Post
    This morning I was setting the time and my AM0194's heart stopped for about 10 min.
    It raised from the dead all by itself
    Not exactly the most reliable movement
    Could be poor beat error adjustment, or swarf/dust/poor finishing somewhere. When the beat error is off, the movement can be 100% healthy and still won't start. This is like a pendulum clock not standing straight.
    watchcrank and Ale De Alis like this.

Both my black Starking AM0184 watches stopped and never restarted. Could they both suffer from beat error movement issues? I received full refund and 2 free watches as well, so I can take them apart and play. I bought some cheap tools to do so, but I am having problems removing bracelets. Not removing the clasp doesn't help .

Quote Originally Posted by ronkatct View Post
    Both my black Starking AM0184 watches stopped and never restarted. Could they both suffer from beat error movement issues? I received full refund and 2 free watches as well, so I can take them apart and play. I bought some cheap tools to do so, but I am having problems removing bracelets. Not removing the clasp doesn't help .
    It's possible, but if you don't have the equipment you'd best leave it alone. Your best bet would be to drop it off at a watchmaker, but the usual ones charge more for just opening and closing the caseback as what the whole watch costs. It's a shame, but I guess that's the down side of such an incredible deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightling007 View Post
    It's possible, but if you don't have the equipment you'd best leave it alone. Your best bet would be to drop it off at a watchmaker, but the usual ones charge more for just opening and closing the caseback as what the whole watch costs. It's a shame, but I guess that's the down side of such an incredible deal.

I will wait until summer when the weather is warmer to see if the warmer weather might get the lubricant viscous enough for the watches to get going. I can open the back and move the balance wheels to see if the watches start back up. What have I got to lose except time from dead watches ? They are 2 free watches at this time and I can salvage 2 very nice bracelets.

I have so far salvaged 1 so-called "leather" strap from my defective Benyar (which I got replaced for $1, and the replacement seems to be working fine with decent accuracy). I will leave a very nice thank you and positive review in a few days assuming the replacement Benyar works well.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread Information