Starking Automatic - Page 23
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Starking Automatic

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Re: Starking Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by ronkatct View Post
    I will wait until summer when the weather is warmer to see if the warmer weather might get the lubricant viscous enough for the watches to get going. I can open the back and move the balance wheels to see if the watches start back up. What have I got to lose except time from dead watches ? They are 2 free watches at this time and I can salvage 2 very nice bracelets.

I have so far salvaged 1 so-called "leather" strap from my defective Benyar (which I got replaced for $1, and the replacement seems to be working fine with decent accuracy). I will leave a very nice thank you and positive review in a few days assuming the replacement Benyar works well.
    It's not so hard, even in wintertime to generate summer temperatures for something as small as a watch.

If you open it, chances are greater of getting it going by fettling with the main spring, as moving the balance wheel. Just as it is more useful to move a bicycle wheel by moving the pedals as it is to try turn the wheel, if the chain is blocked by a wooden stick. If there is dust inside, or swarf, or whatever kind of poor finishing blocking the gears, amping up the main spring power could free the blockage.

This in fact, was in most cases the reason why the SK movement stopped, a blocked main spring exit wheel...

I was interested in the AM0261 diver because the original listing said it had a high beat movement. The listing has changed, they call it a Japan movement now and mention a Miyota and later in the ad an NH35A. When I asked what it really is I was told that it is an NH35. You can get Invicta divers for far less, so I think this Starking is overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Schoen View Post
    I was interested in the AM0261 diver because the original listing said it had a high beat movement. The listing has changed, they call it a Japan movement now and mention a Miyota and later in the ad an NH35A. When I asked what it really is I was told that it is an NH35. You can get Invicta divers for far less, so I think this Starking is overpriced.
    Yes, there have been many discussions about this one, there is literally not a single picture showing the same watch, let alone the watch that you'll be getting IRL, the NH35 has a pretty large date font, but the photoshopped pics show a really small font. I wouldn't even trust the advert enough to buy it, no matter how nice it could be IRL. There's even genuine Rolex pictures in there, photoshopped, but the engraving in the rehaut still remains.

I think there may have been a version with their own 28800vph movement, which has been proven highly unreliable. They probably changed to an NH35 now, which on itself is not a bad thing in terms of reliability. But as you say, a lot better can be had a lot cheaper.
    watchcrank likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have always been quite sceptical in the whole crown up, dial up making any difference so I was ready to say no difference to be honest however......

reset the watch to match my EcoDrive 4 days ago and every night it has been left crown up. After 4 days the watch is +1s. Total 1s!!!

Seems that the end of the day it is 4s fast and then in the morning it has countered almost all of that.

So, surprisingly to me this seems to actually work and for £36 (or whatever it actually cost, something like that) I have a watch that (at the moment fingers crossed) will be within 2s of accurate per week so long as it is left crown up at rest.

I should add I have worn this every day since I got it. No winders or anything like that, just worn.

So far great value although as seen above it could stop at any time :)

This is the AM0184 I think. the one with the markers rather than any numbers.
    Last edited by GreenNeedle; December 23rd, 2018 at 02:54.
    watchcrank likes this.

I have a timegrapher, the ultimate piece of equipment to remove such scepticism, although not all watches show the same behavior. It depends on the model,make and condition of the movement. On a Grand Seiko for instance position changes are barely noticeable.
    watchcrank and GreenNeedle like this.

I am not sure what the allure is with the Starking 28800 bpm movement. My experience is .5 problem rate. I rather have an nh36 or Miyota 8015. Even the Tongji non-efficient autowinder movement is more reliable.

In a timegrapher, some movements are accurate in all positions while others are accurate in certain positions. Others can be "manually regulated" by adjusting the position to gain or lose time.

Some specimen of the SK run fantastic, I guess that's the allure, the potential is definitely there. The other allure is high beat movements are a little more accurate, when healthy off course, and having one in the nh35 price range, yeah, that's very appealing to some of us. Also, no matter what was wrong with those that I had (at least 15 by now) I've always managed to get them to run reliably in the end.

So, yeah, I agree with you if you just want a solid reliable timepiece it is not the greatest choice right now, but to those who are capable of doing repairs, or to those that don't mind to take a gamble, it can be an interesting purchase nonetheless.
    Last edited by Brightling007; December 22nd, 2018 at 22:00.

Many of my 21600 bpm watches are within 10spd or less in the time grapher. And they are also equally accurate in the power winder. The gold Starking AM0184 that works (but has a slight crown stem misalignment) runs about +30spd if I remember correctly; I need to time graph it. The 3HZ (21600bps) watches can be as accurate as the 4 HZ (28800 bpm) watches in real world time keeping.

Buy Starking from Amazon so that buyer gets good protection and warranty. I got 2 free watches to play.

It all comes down to the inherent quality of the parts too off course, but 28800 is definitely more accurate down to all sorts of wear patterns not a mystery why big name companies like Rolex and ETA go fully for it. For sports watches it is definitely the preferred beat rate. Off course this does not need to apply to the SK, but the first black dial AM0184 I've had run spot on, no matter which direction they're tested in.

Going by the reports and my own experiences it however looks like they're getting more and more sloppy.
    Last edited by Brightling007; December 22nd, 2018 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
    I have always been quite sceptical in the whole crown up, dial up making any difference so I was ready to say no difference to be honest however......

reset the watch to match my EcoDrive 4 days ago and every night it has been left crown up. After 4 days the watch is +1s. Total 1s!!!

Seems that the end of the day it is 4s fast and then in the morning it has countered almost all of that.
    Glad it worked for you. It's a cheap (free) way to get acceptable accuracy out of all but the worst movements, so long as they are regulated such that they have some positions which will gain time and some which will lose. At most that takes a little fiddling with the regulator and a lot of timing tests.
    GreenNeedle likes this.
    - Stephen

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread Information