Starking Automatic - Page 25
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Starking Automatic

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Re: Starking Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Tiemen View Post
    See the post above for mine Starking

Staking say's they have their own movements, but i'm not sure aboutt that
    It is in basis a Miyota 8000 series, but then the chinese copied that with hack function and called it 2813, and SK copied that and changed the escapement to have a high beat rate at 28800bph, and it is cast with SK logo under the balance. So yeah, they produce their own movement, but the basic design is not theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightling007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiemen View Post
    See the post above for mine Starking

Staking say's they have their own movements, but i'm not sure aboutt that
    It is in basis a Miyota 8000 series, but then the chinese copied that with hack function and called it 2813, and SK copied that and changed the escapement to have a high beat rate at 28800bph, and it is cast with SK logo under the balance. So yeah, they produce their own movement, but the basic design is not theirs.
    Thanks! Any info on the long-term reliability/durability of this movement?

Bunker Hill Village, Texas, United States

Just to be fair, legacy Beijing Watch Factory movements (SB11, SB12, B16ZR) are also based on the Dixmont Guanzhou/Nanning 2813 design. The Sea-Gull ST16 and ST17 are similarly based on the Miyota 82xx architecture, but substitute a Seiko-style autowinding module.

Name:  dg2813.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  21.6 KBName:  NN2813.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  92.5 KB

Last edited by HoustonReal; April 12th, 2019 at 12:31.
    "Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have 4 watches with this movement, and can confirm the 50% reliability claim.

They are as follows:

TM0915 - Blue dial, cheap alloy case, not sapphire, reliable to +10s/day
    AM0184 - Black dial - A bit of glue residue under crystal, sapphire, reliable to -4.7s/day
    AM0184 - Silver dial - Clean watch and strap but - Dead on arrival
    AM0239 - Rose gold with cream dial and sapphire- lovely looking watch but stuttering seconds hand and +30s/day in limited testing.

All in all no more Starkings for me until they fix the QC issues.

Yeah, it's weird, as the movements do generally look to be finished better than the average 2813, but just have this little flaw now and then of the poorly finished seconds pinion gear, and some movements are quitting due to swarf/roughness of some edges here and there on the plates or gears.

Mostly, when one comes DOA, and you open it and push the first or second gear it will run and keep running. Or worst case you remove the balance and pallet fork and let the whole gear train run freely for a few good runs, then it'll run smoothly and keeps running just fine. A little whiff of aird duster through it to remove any possible debris or swarf...

I've not had one that would just never run again, and once I got them running they kept running, not a single one failed again after a while, and I've bought more than ten, of which some became gifts, some used for the movement to make a build, some still in the original state.

As for the stutter, if you remove the seconds hand, and the upper bridge of the movement, then pull out the seconds pinion, apply a tiny blob of grease on the shaft and push it back, making sure the gear is remaining dry. Then the stutter will disappear, sacrificing just a bit of amplitude. These are very strong runners though, and where I needed to do this the movements still were in the 270-280 degrees amplitude range. The grease just makes sure the seconds hand will be stabilized. This results in a very smooth running seconds hand. I'm using a synthetic grease for this, so it will not run dry over short time.

Yeah, it's weird, as the movements do generally look to be finished better than the average 2813, but just have this little flaw now and then of the poorly finished seconds pinion gear, and some movements are quitting due to swarf/roughness of some edges here and there on the plates or gears.

Mostly, when one comes DOA, and you open it and push the first or second gear it will run and keep running. Or worst case you remove the balance and pallet fork and let the whole gear train run freely for a few good runs, then it'll run smoothly and keeps running just fine. A little whiff of aird duster through it to remove any possible debris or swarf...

I've not had one that would just never run again, and once I got them running they kept running, not a single one failed again after a while, and I've bought more than ten, of which some became gifts, some used for the movement to make a build, some still in the original state.

As for the stutter, if you remove the seconds hand, and the upper bridge of the movement, then pull out the seconds pinion, apply a tiny blob of grease on the shaft and push it back, making sure the gear is remaining dry. Then the stutter will disappear, sacrificing just a bit of amplitude. These are very strong runners though, and where I needed to do this the movements still were in the 270-280 degrees amplitude range. The grease just makes sure the seconds hand will be stabilized. This results in a very smooth running seconds hand. I'm using a synthetic grease for this, so it will not run dry over short time.
    Thanks for the tips - motivating me to give them a try at some point rather than consign two watches to the bin!

Dup

Got this back on wrist and worn it during my normal routine for 10 days.

Name:  239E1884-6A21-4FDE-B915-142E5AF39A31.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  1.44 MB

Brushed lugs match brushed metalwork on one of my MKS straps as a bonus.

Name:  52B8818D-AAE6-4549-9D70-9569BBB96A5E.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  1.32 MB

Great timekeeping results as you can see below, and more motivation to get my other Starkings revived.

Name:  98A09B7C-7E58-45E7-A92E-FDFCED54DB1B.jpeg
Views: 121
Size:  1.30 MB
    Brightling007 and Chascomm like this.

I've giften one to my uncle, and even though it ran, and his greatest pet pieve was the spinning noisy rotor from time to time, I've retrofitted it with a 2836-2. The hands fitted right on, the date ligned up right away. I must say, it felt like an upgrade, even though it cost almost double the value of the watch.

I've giften one to my uncle, and even though it ran, and his greatest pet pieve was the spinning noisy rotor from time to time, I've retrofitted it with a 2836-2. The hands fitted right on, the date ligned up right away. I must say, it felt like an upgrade, even though it cost almost double the value of the watch.
    Agree sounds like a great upgrade - proper Frankenwatch, or is it perhaps more like reverse engineering? Case and sapphire seem pretty robust so will be interesting to see how long his lasts.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread Information