Starking Automatic - Page 26
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Starking Automatic

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Bunker Hill Village, Texas, United States

Re: Starking Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Brightling007 View Post

Mostly, when one comes DOA, and you open it and push the first or second gear it will run and keep running. Or worst case you remove the balance and pallet fork and let the whole gear train run freely for a few good runs, then it'll run smoothly and keeps running just fine. A little whiff of aird duster through it to remove any possible debris or swarf...
    My Starking Rooster watch (AM0242) came DOA. Since my expertise is limited to battery changes, I certainly didn't want to blow my chance for a full refund by taking the back off. The watch was very attractive, but completely non-functional.

You would think Starking would check if these watches run after being assembled, as basic QC. It sounds like they should keep working if they ever ran? The Starking was my only DOA watch, other than a few NOS quartz watches that needed new batteries.

Name:  151003-3482.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  106.6 KBName:  151004-1150.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  98.8 KB
    Last edited by HoustonReal; May 6th, 2019 at 08:11.
    rkbry likes this.
    "Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered."

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonReal View Post
    My Starking Rooster watch (AM0242) came DOA. Since my expertise is limited to battery changes, I certainly didn't want to blow my chance for a full refund by taking the back off. The watch was very attractive, but completely non-functional.

You would think Starking would check if these watches run after being assembled, as basic QC. It sounds like they should keep working if they ever ran? The Starking was my only DOA watch, other than a few NOS quartz watches that needed new batteries.

Name:  151003-3482.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  106.6 KBName:  151004-1150.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  98.8 KB
    Your Rooster watch looks exactly like my Rooster watch. Mine works, at least I hope it still works. I haven't had an opportunity to use it. It is a once in a rooster watch.

Hi guys, I just discovered the Starking AM0184 last night and saw a bunch of rave reviews about it. My question: how has it fared for you long term? Is it still going strong?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vintorez View Post
    Hi guys, I just discovered the Starking AM0184 last night and saw a bunch of rave reviews about it. My question: how has it fared for you long term? Is it still going strong?

I ordered a black Starking AM0184 from Amazon that failed. The replacement also failed, so I got a full refund. I now have 2 non functioning Starking free. I figure I am way ahead of the game and will try to get it to work someday. Nice bracelets with the watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ronkatct View Post
    I ordered a black Starking AM0184 from Amazon that failed. The replacement also failed, so I got a full refund. I now have 2 non functioning Starking free. I figure I am way ahead of the game and will try to get it to work someday. Nice bracelets with the watches.
    Did they fail after a while or were already DOA out of the box?

The specs for the price seem too good to be true, so I'm wary that the movement is made out of sawdust or something.

The movements are no worse than any DG2813, only poorly QC'd, which means some machining swarf can still be present, or some parts have sharp edges, most commonly all it needs is a good run in, so if you open it and push the second or third wheel a little it'll start running, and usually keep running.

Quote Originally Posted by ronkatct View Post
    Amazon made me send my Rooster watch back. If I could have kept it, and received a full refund, I would have tried to open it up and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightling007 View Post
    The movements are no worse than any DG2813, only poorly QC'd, which means some machining swarf can still be present, or some parts have sharp edges, most commonly all it needs is a good run in, so if you open it and push the second or third wheel a little it'll start running, and usually keep running.
    I agree that the movements use the same design, but the 50% failure rate WUS members have seen, far exceeds anything you typically see with a Dixmont powered watch. Starking has some issues with their manufacturing, since even poor QC doesn't explain such a high failure rate.
    Chascomm likes this.

The fact that no questions were asked when I complained suggest that this is a known problem. Both watches worked for a while and then died. I will try to open it up and fix it as suggested by Brightling. I did open one watch but could not get it to work. I had a problem with the Beymer watch as well but the qc there is way above the qc of Starking.

A watchmaker reviews the AM0184:

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread Information