Starking Automatic - Page 28
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Starking Automatic

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightling007;

Most of my SK watches I gifted to people that don't own more than two or three watches, people within my family. Most of those units are worn daily. This may aid in not wearing out the hacking leaver and winding function. As for the quality, it is definitely not junk, but it isn't great either. As I said before it is basically on par with a DG. Then I also did service the odd SK, when I decided to use the movement for a build, and lubricated the necessary points. This I did just for the fun and sake of learning to service movements when I wasn't yet very good at it and didn't want to ruin an expensive unit.

As for Seiko, no question about it, they are reliable, perhaps one of the most reliable movements ever made. Miyota may be reliable, but there are certainly issues with some parts, that I've come across twice in my own collection of barely worn watches.

Then ETA clones, the low beat versions are available for just over 20 dollars and are already better than the SK, and DG, and have good power reserve, run very accurate, wind both directions. The 2836-2 found as the Seagull ST2100 I recently bought for 53 euro a piece, which is relatively expensive when compared to these bottom of the line units, but a more than double raise in quality and having all the nice features. And sure they also could do with a little lube here and there that they did not get from the factory, but the basic quality is really incredible at that price point.

So yeah, we are discussing the cheapest of the cheapest, off course there will be compromises made. I am however tasting the pudding and liking it enough to not just be calling it junk.
    This post thread is devoted to Starking watches - don't get surprised if we are comparing them with watches in their price range - and what the other manufacturers offer at a similar price. Other comparisons are out of place, to my view.

Just a note to clarify my previous post and yours: when I spoke of prices at AliExpress, both for Starking and other Chinese sellers, I am referring to "complete watches with all their parts, delivered in your mailbox". When you speak of the same, you are referring to prices of the movement only.

Again, this could be misleading and irrelevant to most watch enthusiast ( since they are not watchmakers or have the patience/time/tools to learn the required skills to replace a movement - or to repair/intervene into the mechanics of a purchased watch received DOA, without ruining it further).
    Last edited by Chascomm; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:44.

Re: Starking Automatic

So it looks like one of my Black Starking AM0184 is toast. I have one more freebie Starking to fix or destroy.
    ObiWonWD40 likes this.

Rolling eyes Re: Starking Automatic

I think that the Starking AM0184 I bought in April 2018 for £34.20 delivered was a reasonable purchase. I rarely wear that type of dress watch, roughly once or twice a month maybe, so for the money I paid, it does not owe me anything. If/When it finally gives up the ghost, I will take it apart as a learning experience. Having had a year of use out of it I reckon I am into bonus time now anyway.

What I will say is that as an experiment it was worth the effort for me, YMMV! I won't replace it with another one though, if I need a mechanical dress watch in the future then I plan on getting a watch with a Miyota 9015 movement. I have mixed feelings about that to, for a number of reasons. I am not enamoured by the Miyota 8215 movement, I bought a very cheap Ochstin watch GA021A, with that movement, the well known Longines Conquest Homage in Rose Goldish finish and that has been great, but the Cadisen with the same movement has been a dog's breakfast, with the Date Problem, the rapid advance just does not work correctly! I hope the 9015 will be better if I buy one, but with either Faux Jewels, Diamonds on the dial or the De Feels name, that is not in the immediate future. As it is a watch that gets worn in the evening typically, a watch with no Lume which is another alternative is a non-starter too!

My feeling is that the Starking watches are a bit of a lottery. I was lucky as I got a good one, it has run well from day one and keeps time as well as my NH3** watches and the Miyotas I have. From a totally non scientific impression, mine seems to keep better time than the Miyotas, I put the Starking and the Ochstin in the Winder, both set to the same time for five days and the Starking kept better time. Which proves absolutely nothing but amused me at the time

There are some places in the World you go where wearing a decent watch gets you made a target, if you need to visit a place like that then a Starking is probably a great choice. At the worst case it will be dead right twice a day! A Non WIS will think you are wearing a decent watch and if it gets lost, stolen or stops you are not out a load of money! For me it has been a no-brainer, and I get to play with it if it stops!

Very best regards,
    Jim

PS My advice, if you want a cheap watch that does not look too shabby, keeps great time and costs less than half what you pay for the Starking, get a Nakzen Pagoda! Seiko movement, no date wheel issues, quartz accuracy and totally grab and go. Not to say I have fallen out of love with Automatics, just very cheap ones!
    Retired!! W O R K is a four letter word!
    Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It may have been poor advice in hindsight, but when I say give the gears a nudge, I expected someone would know it is a watch movement and super duper vulnerable, so you would take magnification, a clean tool, watch a youtube vid or two before you start, just like me. Slightly over a year ago I never ever even opened up a watch casseback...just goes to say.... it's mainly the man behind the wheel...

As for the swap for an ST2100, it is something I literally did in one, and it turned out not too shabby at all, so is it worth it when you know the price of the SK? Off course not, but when you would never have seen an SK in your life, it is a really nice watch with that movement and my uncle completely fell in love with it, so it's all so relative...

Very fair points Obi, and it is true, the first batch of four black SK all ran, all had well over 300 degrees amplitude, were stable upon position variations and showed an almost completely flat line on the Timegrapher. When they run, they run much better than you would expect them to knowing it is some kind of DG clone in there.
    Last edited by Brightling007; June 1st, 2019 at 15:14.
    ObiWonWD40 likes this.

Bunker Hill Village, Texas, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Brightling007 View Post
    When they run, they run much better than you would expect them to knowing it is some kind of DG clone in there.
    The design is usually more reliable than the Starking variants, but most of the others haven't been modified to run at 28,800 bph. Before I really started studying Chinese watch movements, I had no idea that most of the recent Beijing Watch Factory calibers were based on the same design as the DG/NN28xx series of movements. Carnival uses undecorated Beijing SB11 movements in many of their watches. If you really look at Beijing SB12 and B16ZR movements, you'll see that they are just nicely decorated, higher jeweled versions of the same design. Beijing Watch Factory had a pretty good reputation for quality products before its recent acquisition, but not to hear Fiyta tell it. Fiyta claims they want to improve Beijing's in-house movements, but they seem hell bent on converting over to the Miyota 8 series.

Name:  HTB13cfPc9CWBuNjy0Fhq6z6EVXa5.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  150.1 KBName:  20150827022833837.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  103.2 KB
    Last edited by HoustonReal; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:22.
    ObiWonWD40 and JC_2012 like this.
    "Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered."

What a movement uses this Starking?...it's nice

https://www.zipy.it/p/ali/starking-r...1/32795545946/

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Casertano69 View Post
    What a movement uses this Starking?...it's nice

https://www.zipy.it/p/ali/starking-r...1/32795545946/
    It's a Starking movement.
    Casertano69 likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Ah,Starking does its movements in-house?

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Ah,Starking does its movements in-house?

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread Information