Starking Automatic - Page 5
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Starking Automatic

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Starking Automatic

I'll formally introduce myself in a minute, but stumbled upon this by a google search and wanted to share some adventures I've had with these watches.

I purchased one with black dial and steel bracelet as a first, an excellent watch, since I own a Weishi Timegrapher 2000 I tested it and found out that it ran quite beautifully in all kinds of positions. Then I pulled the trigger on a white dial brown leather strap, this one had issues with what looked like gearing problems with the seconds hand, which moved around when changing the watch from several horizontal positions. So I contacted the seller, who was so friendly to send another one, but it had the same issue. I'm now guessing the black dial steel bracelet could be of a better batch and since they were on sale today I bought four of them. You could ask why so many? Well, I discovered the movement fits many other watches. What I found out from experience and the movement PDF that I'm thankful for which was posted in this thread:

1. the hands of an ETA fit
    2. it has four dial pin screw positions that make it suitable for both DG2813/M8215 and ETA 2824/2836 dials, dials that have four pins actually fit with all four of them without the need to cut any of them
    3. the canon length is quite short, but the Starking watches come with an extra thin spacer, also with four cut-outs to fit any kind of dial. Do watch out for thick dials for this reason, especially with thick markers.
    4. the watch is about as cheap as most low beat movements in this category
    5. The main spring has jewel bearings, so it has at least two more jewels as a DG2813
    6. The date flip transition takes about a quarter of an hour from starting to move to actually flicking over
    7. The date wheel is a bit smaller than DG2813, so beware
    8. DG2813 or ETA date wheels don't fit as they're too thick, especially since the short canon.
    9. the movement is 99% based upon a DG2813, but different enough to not fit the high beat parts. At least I didn't succeed to make a swap there, and made two attempts. I couldn't figure out why yet, checked all the parts under the magnifiers (Mantis and HD cams with macro lenses) I have.

I know it's by no means economically sensible to use it for the movement, as you'd be far better off with an ETA clone movement, but this movement and especially the way the first one runs (and still does after putting it back together) was somehow appealing. And on top of that I've only started the watchmaking hobby a few months ago and needed some target practise, and what better to use than some brand new and cheap victims haha!

My aim still is to shoehorn this movement in to a Black Bay hommage. I did already find out that the Corgeut dials the sell on .........s have the same date windowdistance and the size is fine for the font, and I wanted to pair that with a snowflake hands set, a sapphire glass Black Bay homage case, and a leather suiting strap. These watches are sold complete on Aiexpress from Corgeut and Parnis. The latter has a 24J 9015 option, and I already own one of those (yes Black Bay fan here...) and it is a superb watch, incredible finishing and that 9015 runs spot on. Then Parnis has the 21J with 8215 in it, but I dislike the 8215 for not being hackable. I did make a hands swap on that 24J Parnis, because they are stock fitted with mercedes hands. The Corgeut watches already have snowflakes, and look great, and the name appeals more to me, but from having ordered a case earlier on I noticed the finishing is not at the level of the Parnis in many ways.

Oh yes, another thing, this movement is not a DG4813, I've got stock of those and it is really not the same, although it has many similarities, such as the perlage done on the rotor. And I know there are many 4813 versions, and they used to be available in high beat a while ago, and I never owned any of those, but the Starking movement looks far better finished, the perlage on the 4813 is really horrible, and on the Starking well...less horrible. The starking also has far higher amplitude, all 4813 I have had and still have don't run over 250 degrees fully wound up. Most even barely hit the 200 degree mark, but the Starking easily tops 300 degrees. When fully wound I even saw dangerously high amplitude making me worried for damage to the pallet fork or balance wheel stone.

When there's interest for it I can post some Timegrapher screenshots and other more detailed pictures later on...

I've received the four black dial watches and they all work perfectly. So, the white dial batch is probably of a lesser quality indeed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So, some more info gathered... All four run wihtin 5s/d straight out the box, and so far with just as excellent power reserve as my first black dial SK. For something so cheap, taken in to account it has REAL sapphire glass too (albeit thin) and REAL solid stainless steel all over, a NICE butterfly clasp, a NICE mineral display case back and a great feel and look, it absolutely is a steal! The date change on all of them is also spot on, and it moves fast too. I've shot a video as well, to judge seconds hand smoothness, I hope it works out and I'll upload it to youtube if it does and post it here later on.

Pics first...
    Attached Images Attached Images

And, here's what happens when it is flipped over in to several positions. Okay, it is not an ETA, but for the small price it cost I find it quite an amazing quality level! Look at that amplitude! If I finetune this to slightly in the + (which I prefer) it'll run absolutely spot on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the video, hope it's any bit useful as I don't think even 60fps is enough to really capture it perfectly.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Is that an extra jewel on the mainspring barrel?

Brightling007 likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Is that an extra jewel on the mainspring barrel?

Yes, well spotted! That would be two extra stones, and quite large ones too!
    Chascomm likes this.

I've transplanted the movement in to a Corgeut Black Bay homage I still had with defective 2813 in it. Ordered new snowflake hands (2813 don't fit, ETA do reasonably well on the Starking movement) I will keep the Starking, but will put a Shanghai 2824 clone in it, probably with different hands.

Anyway, it's all in here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/co...l#post46451181
    ohhenry1 likes this.

I've had another look at what causes the issues with the white dial version, and I also had one black dial version go silent on me, which is what triggered me to further investigate. The bottom plate/frame of the movement has some bad finishing at the edge around the escape wheel from the main spring. In one movement this was still attached really thin metal, but in the others it broke off and turned in to swarf, which can block gears. It is odd, as every other part of the machining seems to be done with great care, but this bit is done pretty horribly.

Again, the quality control is virtually non existent.
    ohhenry1 and JustUK like this.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information