WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Starking Automatic

120K views 302 replies 54 participants last post by  GreenNeedle 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've had this watchin my cart on alixpress for some time and finally pulled the trigger on 11/11 for $39. I tried searching the forum for info on this watch but didn't come up with much. Does anyone here own this or have any opinions on it?
Fashion accessory Jewellery Body jewelry

I understand it has a 28,800 9015 copy movement?

See less See more
#81 ·
I wish it had sapphire coated. It is in fact more expensive and better.

Here are the differences from what I have seen/read and experienced:

1. mineral +shatter resistant -scratches quicker +easy and cheap to produce
2. full sapphire -shatters quicker +scratch resistant +cheaper to produce as sapphire coated mineral
3. sapphire coated mineral +shatter resistant + scratch resistant - hard and expensive to produce

#79 ·
I've got 2 of the AM0184s, the first, with white dial was DOA, sounds like Brightling007 is spot-on about the variable quality control on these movements.

The second one is a black dial which I've been wearing for about a week now. Seems to keep excellent time - early days but only been losing about 2 seconds per day so far. Put it on a NATO partly as I couldn't work out how to shorten the steel bracelet.

Has a small bit of what looks like glue residue inside the edge of the crystal at 2 o'clock, which is a little annoying.

Seller has agreed to replace the white one.

#84 ·
@ Ipse
If those photos are realistic of real life I'd say there is definitely something wrong with the Burei crystal.

I've not seen anything that dull apart from some politicians.

Maybe you took it outside where you live and it is still frozen.

Reactions: Ipse
#86 ·
My impulse buy (Friday order from Amazon Prime) Starking AMO 184 Gold Case wtih Brown Leather Strap arrived today. It is working -- yeah. The winding mechanism seems stiff and unrefined but for $45.00, I am pleased if it works and keeps reasonable time. It looks fantastic and certainly more than $45.00. The date window or date dial is a bit misaligned. My Black Starking with steel bracelet that I ordered earlier from Amazon for $47.00 is still finding its way from China.

No wrist shot as I cannot seem to get it right.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#87 ·
My impulse buy (Friday order from Amazon Prime) Starking AMO 184 Gold Case wtih Brown Leather Strap arrived today. It is working -- yeah. The winding mechanism seems stiff and unrefined but for $45.00, I am pleased if it works and keeps reasonable time. It looks fantastic and certainly more than $45.00. The date window or date dial is a bit misaligned. My Black Starking with steel bracelet that I ordered earlier from Amazon for $47.00 is still finding its way from China.

No wrist shot as I cannot seem to get it right.
I made the same remarks about mine. Other than that, it's perfect. Now it' s running a bit fast but in two weeks I'll try to regulate it

#93 · (Edited)
Guess what I found on Amazon?

A Starking Rooster Automatic watch. Should I get it?

View attachment 13543277
Link please. :)

Edit: Never mind, found it:

"STARKING Men Rooster Cock Self Winding Automatic Sapphire AM0242 Black Leather Waterproof Wrist Watch"

I'd likely never wear it, but still my mouse finger itches when I contemplate the words "Buy it now." If I were certain it had the 4Hz movement I'm so curious about, I might not be able to resist.

Edit again: Ali (where it's $8 or $9 more) says it's the 28800 HIGH BEATS MOVEMENT, so yeah, I may have to buy this.

#96 ·
It's a Chopard clone. I should have guessed. Oh well.

Not sure who contributed the correlation, but hat tip to the folk in the "A comprehensive list of Ali Express homages" thread for that info.

I know many don't have the same distaste for clones that I do, but isn't there something wrong when a Chinese company has to copy their Year of the Rooster watch from a foreign design?

#102 ·
I haven't used it or wound it yet. I shook it and it ran. I will play with it this weekend. I will use my new Orient Howard this weekend so the Chicken watch will have to wait. It is suppose to come out once a year during the lunar New Year;-). That is the purpose of a lunar year watch -- actually once every 12 years, during the year of the mighty chicken.

#103 ·
The Roster Starking was wound up and the time was set. There is not date complication and no second hacking. Given the lack on hour indices, one has to guess the second and time. It is not the most accurate way to tell the time but more of a fashion statement. It is useful about once a year. I will see roughly how accurate it is tomorrow and how long it runs before the power reserve dies and then store it away until the lunar new year. Then it might come out to play.

#104 ·
There is not date complication and no second hacking.
Whoa, does the Starking 4 Hz / 8 bps / 28,000 bph movement not hack, or is this movement not the 8 bps movement, or is it 8 bps but a non-hacking version while others do hack? I ask because I don't have any Starkings, but I'd not noticed any mention in other threads that Starking's 8 bps movement didn't hack. I admit I'd not read deeply about this movement, having assumed that as an evolution of the Chinese 8215 evolutions it preserved the hacking that the Chinese developments introduced.

#105 ·
My AM1084 does hack...however, I can't open the frikkin caseback to regulate it! So damn tight as if it was 10000m water resistant.
I even tried to freeze the case hoping that somehow the metals will have different contraction coefficients.
I DO have a Bergeron tool, not using a hammer BTW :)
Suggestions?

#107 ·
All my Starkings opened just fine, using a three pin case opener wrench (such as the above). And the movements of these all hacked. I've also never had keyless work trouble, not even after having removed the stem several times. That can't be said about the DG3804, which is a fine movement, but the keyless work (especially the hacking lever) is very weak.

#108 ·
My Starking am0184 gold with date complication has second hacking, and it is supposedly a 28800 beats/hr watch. I have no idea about the beat rate of the Starking Rooster except that there are no hour markers, no date complications, and no second hacking.

It is a show watch rather than functional.

#110 ·
It died when I checked it at about 5:00. I am not sure if I fully wound the watch as I did not want to break the spring or any part. Who knows if the declutch mechanism works. So the power reserve is under 18 hours.

I checked the sounds of the 28800 watches I have (Rolex, Tissot with 2824-2, and the other Starking) and the 21600 watches (Seiko, Orients, and Tissot with Powermatic 80) and Star Rooster is a 28800.

We can call this watch Star Rooster 28800.

The face is just painted on flat and not enameled or anything fancy smancy. It is too much to expect for $40.

#119 ·
I've just done the same on a TM0915 with dark blue face, date at 6 o'clock, high beat movement, black leather strap. Hoping it comes through with sapphire as although the listing says hardlex, it also says "Movement: Quartz". Also the pics of the movement show a case back that clearly has the word "sapphire" engraved on it.

I'll post some pics etc when it arrives.

What is it with these listings - could do a better job myself - I have a lot of respect for these manufacturers but when you see some of the spelling and listing errors it's quite sad.

#115 ·
Update of my Gold Starking. It stopped, as I did not use it on Saturday. I did shake it a bit on Friday and Saturday. It is a pain to adjust as the date adjustment is difficult to click from the crown. Sometimes the date mechanism is engaged instead of the wind in the complete pushed down position, and sometimes, it is not. Anyway, I finally reset everything and will see how accurate it is next week. I think I not use the Starking this week.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.