WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Two more saved!

693 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Pawl_Buster 
#1 ·
Of the three ZuanShi watches in the second batch; I have saved two of them. The third one had a lot of rust so some parts are trash but the rest will serve just fine as spares.

Both of the two repaired ones had snapped off spring bar tips stuck in the cases. I managed to remove one but the other is trapped as the lug was hit hard and deformed the hole :)
I can still use the chrome plated case for the interim, just to house the movement.

No pictures yet except that one in my signature below but I intend to photograph the salvaged parts to show how nicely finished these movement pieces are compared to the average tongji or even Seiko 7s26 or Citizen 8200 :)

#3 ·
I guess we better put that fire out then ;-)

#1 ...

#2 ...

Note the different case numbers, 152 vs 105. The 152 is stainless steeal while the 105 is chrome plated base metal(most likely a brass alloy)
The dial on the 152 is not as bad as it looks and will be quite presentable with a new crystal. The dial on the 105 is in excellent shape, as are the hands. It will be an stunner in a new case with a new crystal!

Main plate teaser...

These are two SM1 main plates. Notice that the top one looks like it's cut to take a 'pie-pan' dial and curved hands.
The other is flat by comparison. The flat one is toast since the keyless works are rusted solid in the plate and the center post that the seconds hand pinion passes through is damaged beyond repair.
The other plate is almost ready for use as the base for a new movement :)

This side of the two plates is also quite different. Notice the cutouts where the balance and palette pieces mount.
Also notice the much larger cutout just to the left of center and down a bit. The 'pie-pan' plate has a nice big routed area around the jewel in that location while the 'flat' plate has only a small routed area around that same jewel.

I have to wonder if there was a change in plate design along the way or if there was more than one factory producing these movements. Or is this indicative of SM1 vs SM1A vs SM1A-K?

I would love to get my hands on a bunch more of these and explore the variations in the movements.

#5 ·
Wow! Six years ago! I'd almost forgotten about that thread. I think the discovery of this 'pie-pan' plate possibly explains the dial to plate gap we saw on the Diamond movement.
I had also forgotten about the big difference in thickness between the Diamond and ZuanShi movements.

Wish I had a bunch more to investigate and revive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.