Where from for Vcms ?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Monkey_like_watch
  • 1 Post By Monkey_like_watch

Thread: Where from for Vcms ?

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    464

    Question Where from for Vcms ?

    Hello ;=)

    I see so many watches but it is still hard for me to be sure where to buy them from to be sure i will have something not lying to me.
    From the best of you share every month i paste to taobao but then i'm never sure if the seller is ok or if i'm looking at fakes

    Would you be so kind to share one or two good _sellers_ you know from an easy to source place ? (Maybe Aliexpress, or Taobao maybe for vintage mechanicals ?)
    For example i'd like to have choice for Beijing and Shanghai watches, or the some of the brands i've liked (
    JinQue
    Meihualu
    Chunlei
    Sea-gull
    Jie Fang
    Beijixing
    Kongque
    Fangzhen (?)
    Yulan
    Shanghai
    Beijing
    Baiqitun
    Yan'an
    Shuangling
    Guangzhou
    Sanyu
    Beifang
    Hongqi
    Lushan
    Tiane
    Zuan shi
    ...)

    or the brands you share each month like here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/wr...a-5099103.html

    Thank you ;)
    Time is money.
    What does the second hand of a watch say every time it crosses the hour hand ? ... Wait a minute, I'm going for a walk.
    En patois charentais, avoir la "goule benèze" signifie avoir bien mangé. | In Charente patois, having the "goule benèze" means having eaten well.

  2. #2
    Member Monkey_like_watch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    807

    Re: Where from for Vcms ?

    Are you in China?
    If not, then finding VCMs is going to be difficult.
    Personally, I wouldn't be buying VCMs if I wasn't living in Shanghai. (I was just talking to someone in the Shanghai watch group about this yesterday. We both agreed that we wouldn't be buying and servicing these watches if we didn't live here.)

    That being said, my go-to place for VCMs is a second hand app in China called 咸鱼(Salty Fish). Members have to use their IDs to sign up and there is a very good rating system for sellers.
    It is in Chinese, so you would need to translate(unless you know Chinese); also, you can find Taobao agents who can help you buy watches on 咸鱼.
    I know this because one WUS member that I was in contact with did this very thing. He lived in Los Angeles, CA and wanted a certain watch. He found it on 咸鱼 and then had an agent send it to him.
    That app is going to be your best bet for finding original VCMs. I only use Taobao now to buy spare parts for my watches. Aliexpress (as far as I know) doesn't have VCMs for sale.

    Lastly, research, research, research. Anyone who buys VCMs on a regular basis has probably bought a fake, redial or franken along the way. The hard part is not over-paying for your "happy accidents".
    The other option is to come to China or find someone in China who can search for, buy and send you VCMs.
    Last edited by Monkey_like_watch; 3 Days Ago at 15:02.
    saskwatch, tdlfoto and Chascomm like this.

  3. #3
    Member tdlfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10

    Re: Where from for Vcms ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_like_watch View Post
    Are you in China?
    If not, then finding VCMs is going to be difficult.
    Personally, I wouldn't be buying VCMs if I wasn't living in Shanghai. (I was just talking to someone in the Shanghai watch group about this yesterday. We both agreed that we wouldn't be buying and servicing these watches if we didn't live here.)

    That being said, my go-to place for VCMs is a second hand app in China called 咸鱼(Salty Fish). Members have to use their IDs to sign up and there is a very good rating system for sellers.
    It is in Chinese, so you would need to translate(unless you know Chinese); also, you can find Taobao agents who can help you buy watches on 咸鱼.
    I know this because one WUS member that I was in contact with did this very thing. He lived in Los Angeles, CA and wanted a certain watch. He found it on 咸鱼 and then had an agent send it to him.
    That app is going to be your best bet for finding original VCMs. I only use Taobao now to buy spare parts for my watches. Aliexpress (as far as I know) doesn't have VCMs for sale.

    Lastly, research, research, research. Anyone who buys VCMs on a regular basis has probably bought a fake, redial or franken along the way. The hard part is not over-paying for your "happy accidents".
    The other option is to come to China or find someone in China who can search for, buy and send you VCMs.
    I am going to be visiting China in March. 16 days across four cities: Shanghai, Huangshan, Xi'an, and Beijing. This is a family vacation so I don't think I'll have a lot of time to dedicate to watch shopping but I would really like to find a couple VCM to bring back as happy memories of our travel. Do you have one or two shops in each of those cities that you would recommend I visit? Thank you in advance for any insight.

    Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    464

    Re: Where from for Vcms ?

    No, i'm not in China. Do you know which agent is able to find from Salty Fish ? I used Superbuy already but same thing : it's hard to tell if Vcms are real or not (for me), it looks like they look at taobao, jd and tmall, they say '20 well-known Chinese e-commerce platforms on Superbuy' but i could not find a list of these.
    So if you know good sellers from these sites then they can help.
    Last edited by manchette; 3 Days Ago at 18:19.
    Time is money.
    What does the second hand of a watch say every time it crosses the hour hand ? ... Wait a minute, I'm going for a walk.
    En patois charentais, avoir la "goule benèze" signifie avoir bien mangé. | In Charente patois, having the "goule benèze" means having eaten well.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    464

    Re: Where from for Vcms ?

    Hello,

    i asked Superbuy about Salty fish and they spoke of 'xianyu( idle fish )'. Is this the site you where talking about ?

    Coming to China or finding someone there having time and willing to search is not that easy. Or maybe you mean that you are available for this ?

    When you say search : What are the good steps to follow ?


    Thanks ;)
    Time is money.
    What does the second hand of a watch say every time it crosses the hour hand ? ... Wait a minute, I'm going for a walk.
    En patois charentais, avoir la "goule benèze" signifie avoir bien mangé. | In Charente patois, having the "goule benèze" means having eaten well.

  7. #6
    Member Monkey_like_watch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    807

    Re: Where from for Vcms ?

    Quote Originally Posted by manchette View Post
    Hello,

    i asked Superbuy about Salty fish and they spoke of 'xianyu( idle fish )'. Is this the site you where talking about ?

    Coming to China or finding someone there having time and willing to search is not that easy. Or maybe you mean that you are available for this ?

    When you say search : What are the good steps to follow ?


    Thanks ;)
    Yes, my bad,
    Many foreigners call it salty fish because Xian means salty but xian also means idle. The actual character is 闲 not 咸 but if you search 咸鱼 you will get a link to XianYu: https://2.taobao.com/.

    I don't know about Superbuy. I will search for the thread later than has the Taobao agent that the WUS member used to get his watch.

    First, I am not able to help you as it is way too time consuming and the issue with shipping can be a nightmare. I have done it once and I won't do it again.

    Second, you need to research the watch you want to buy. Look for photos of the actual VCMs on links from WUS members AlbertaTime's and Saskwatch's signatures.
    Or other websites that post photos of authentic VCMs.
    You need to look at the dials, the crowns (many VCMs have the wrong crowns), case backs and the movements.
    It takes time to research the watch you are looking for and then find the best example of that watch.
    You really are asking for a lot by not being in China or having a connection in China to help you find authentic pieces. Times have changed and the prices of many VCMs are going up. There is also a market for redials and "reissues". All of this makes it harder to find good examples of these watches without paying an arm and a leg for a good example.
    I tend to look for watches with bad crystals or dirty cases and movements as they can be had for a discount. I can easily find cheap replacement crystals, service the movements myself, or clean the cases, but not everyone has the tools, time or ability to do these things.
    VCM collecting isn't easy in 2020. I will say it again: Research! Research! Research!
    Last edited by Monkey_like_watch; 4 Hours Ago at 08:47.
    Chascomm likes this.

  8. #7
    Member Monkey_like_watch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    807

    Re: Where from for Vcms ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tdlfoto View Post
    I am going to be visiting China in March. 16 days across four cities: Shanghai, Huangshan, Xi'an, and Beijing. This is a family vacation so I don't think I'll have a lot of time to dedicate to watch shopping but I would really like to find a couple VCM to bring back as happy memories of our travel. Do you have one or two shops in each of those cities that you would recommend I visit? Thank you in advance for any insight.

    Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk
    Your best bet is to look for the thread about Shanghai watch shopping started by davidrrd. That is a good start for SH.
    I don't know about the other cities, but a friend of mine in the watch group who travels extensively throughout China swears by searching "antique" or "antique mall" on his iPhone map and then going to the locations that come up.
    Some are good and some are bad. I call it "going on a fishing trip" because you never know if you are going to catch anything.

    I have been to HZ and know of only one antique mall, but I have heard that it is not worth going to these days. I could be wrong, but my friend in HZ convinced me it wasn't worth my time.
    You need to find an antiques market that has many vendors. The problem is the same all over though. Do you know what you are looking at? Are you sure it isn't a franken, a redial, or a reissue?

    On that note:
    At a trip to the antique mall over the summer, I pondered a very cost-effective Tianjin DF red character watch for more than an hour. It looked good but my gut said it wasn't legit. Anyone else who just happened to hear of the red character DF and knows how rare they are would have bought it in a heartbeat, but I know that people have taken old DF dials and applied red characters and "aged" the dial to turn a 50rmb watch into a 300rmb watch. The guy was way to willing to let it go for a price that was a bit under what they go for.

    Searching for VCMs is part research and part luck. You also need to realize the value of these watches. If you can't speak the language or know the value of a piece you are likely going to get taken for a ride.

    Lastly, if I am in SH when come through I can take you out to a few places I trust.
    I met a WUS member who came to visit SH and took him to Baoshan for watch shopping; I ended up selling him four watches from my personal collection.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    56
    As a noob it is hard to look for vcm. Especially for noobs who can't read Chinese.
    I gave up. My wife laughed at me when I was scrolling through Taobao. Telling me if I was earlier interested in vcm's I could have bought a whole bunch when we were visiting her grandparents 10 years ago.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •