Alfred Hitchcock.....

Thread: Alfred Hitchcock.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alfred Hitchcock.....

I caught part of a very interesting program the other night. TCM is re-running some of the old Dick Cavett Shows on their station, and this one had him interviewing Hitchcock. I'm guessing early-mid '70s was when it originally aired. He was a fascinating man and a genius director. Let's face it, we've all been scared at one time or another by his films! This led me to thinking about my favorite Hitchcock movie. I've always been partial to 'North by Northwest'. Even though it doesn't have the terror of some of his other films, like 'Psycho' or 'The Birds', there was a certain something about it that I really enjoyed. The idea of an 'everyman' being mistaken for a spy and thrust unwillingly into international intrigue has a certain appeal. (Plus Eva Marie Saint had such a sexy on-screen presence in that film!).

What's your favorite Hitchcock film and why?

Paul

Re: Alfred Hitchcock.....

Quote Originally Posted by Searambler
    I caught part of a very interesting program the other night. TCM is re-running some of the old Dick Cavett Shows on their station, and this one had him interviewing Hitchcock. I'm guessing early-mid '70s was when it originally aired. He was a fascinating man and a genius director. Let's face it, we've all been scared at one time or another by his films! This led me to thinking about my favorite Hitchcock movie. I've always been partial to 'North by Northwest'. Even though it doesn't have the terror of some of his other films, like 'Psycho' or 'The Birds', there was a certain something about it that I really enjoyed. The idea of an 'everyman' being mistaken for a spy and thrust unwillingly into international intrigue has a certain appeal. (Plus Eva Marie Saint had such a sexy on-screen presence in that film!).

What's your favorite Hitchcock film and why?

Paul
    I'm not so much into movies at all, but this is an easy one.

Hitchcock's no. 1 is definitely 'North by Northwest' :gold

Can not say why - but when it's up the TV it's a must see.

#1. Life boat.#2.Rear window.#3.Vertigo. John Wilson. PS All are very intense,they just suck you in -and can't pull youself away from the story!PPS Alfred Hitchcock had a phobia,he was frighten of policemen,no kidding!
    Last edited by john wilson; October 2nd, 2006 at 18:18.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

my top three

Quite a variation in themes

North by Northwest
    Notorious
    The Trouble with Harry

Many others
    Cheers,

Keith

Ah, especially this time of year, there's nothing better than some classic Hitchcock.

1. Vertigo - Have you ever seen a man so horribly lovesick?
    2. Rear Window - Incredible tension. We're all nosey bastards, aren't we?
    3. The Birds / Psycho (tie) - Classic horror
    4. North by Northwest - Brilliant cinematography, brilliant storyline, emotionally thrilling from beginning to end
    5. Strangers on a Train - A perfect example of Hitchcock making the ordinary so disturbing

I could go on...and on...and on...

eric

For me its The Birds.
    It was 18 rated but a group of us got into see it even though we were only 15. It was rather scary. I saw it again when I was alot older and was able to appreciate the film and the special effects ( great for the time ) more.
    It hasn't beem mentioned here but I am sure most of know that Hitchcock appeared in most if not all of his films in a walk by roll. In The Birds he was walking one or two white dogs outside the pet shop where Tippy Hedron bought the love birds.
    OK how about some of you telling us where he appeared in his other films.
    Best regards
    Andy

P.S. Also The 39 Steps. Another great thriller.
    Last edited by AndyC; October 6th, 2006 at 22:05.
    Rolex Sea-Dweller
    Breitling Chrono Avenger Titanium.
    Doxa Sub 750T Pro CC.
    Stowa Seatime.
    Aristo Dakar
    Mudman GW-9000-1JF
    PAW1300T-7VCR
    Gulfman G-9100-2ER
    GW-M5600-1ER

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC
    It hasn't beem mentioned here but I am sure most of know that Hitchcock appeared in most if not all of his films in a walk by roll. In The Birds he was walking one or two white dogs outside the pet shop where Tippy Hedron bought the love birds.
    OK how about some of you telling us where he appeared in his other films.
    Best regards
    Andy
    In North By Northwest, just as the opening credits were finishing up (and remember that fantastic musical score?!!!?), the camera pans down to a busy NY street scene. Just as Hitch is about to board a bus, the door closes in his face! That's really the only one I recall specifically.

Paul

North by Northwest is one of my favorites, along with The Man Who Knew Too Much. Another case of mistaken identity, and being thrown in the middle of danger. A fun ride!

Quote Originally Posted by guitargonaut View Post
    North by Northwest is one of my favorites, along with The Man Who Knew Too Much. Another case of mistaken identity, and being thrown in the middle of danger. A fun ride!
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that The Man Who Knew Too Much features the longest film sequence ever filmed in a movie with no talking in it. The part near the end when he was chasing through the music hall trying to stop the assasination was all music and even though there was some talking among the characters you couldn't hear it because of the music.

Que sera sera!! :-D

Paul

Rear Window is #1, hands down...fascinating; followed by Rope and Strangers On A Train in no particular order. Strangers blew me away first time I saw it, and I've always had a soft spot for Rope simply because of the way Hitch continously shot it--try to catch the reel changes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information