California Earthquakes - Did you feel it? All ok?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: California Earthquakes - Did you feel it? All ok?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Well, California just had a 7.1 earthquake (not confirmed, also hearing 6.9), which is about 10x stronger than yesterday's 6.4 - we were out of town for yesterday's so didn't feel it, but now we're back and about 7 hours drive away from the epicenter closer to LA and we felt it pretty good - rolling / swaying for about 30 seconds at about 8:20 pm. One of the strongest I've felt in 10 years!

Everyone ok?

Out in Joshua Tree...about 140 miles from Ridgecrest. We got shook a fair amount...worse than yesterday’s, but not too bad. The Railmaster is still keeping good time.

Was near the center for the Northridge and Fullerton quakes...different story entirely. Northridge the apartment swayed like a boat in a storm...was watching Seinfeld for the first time that day. For Fullerton our hallway twisted back & forth like in a cheesy sci-fi movie.
    Last edited by ljb187; 2 Weeks Ago at 18:21.
    GrussGott likes this.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

Re: California Earthquakes - Did you feel it? All ok?

I am in Orang County and we felt it. It was much stronger than yesterday’s quake. The kids were freaked out but everyone is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GrussGott likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 007 View Post
    I am in Orang County and we felt it. It was much stronger than yesterday’s quake. The kids were freaked out but everyone is ok.

We always liked earthquakes when we were kids. So long as nothing collapsed on us they’re kind of exciting. A little embarrassingly I have to admit I still feel the same way. I’m trying to talk my wife into heading further north from 29 Palms in case another one hits. That’s not gonna happen...later in our trip she’s already shot down the idea of amateur storm chasing...this is a pretty decent argument for why some guys ought to get married.

I was 5 when a pretty big one hit reasonably close in 1971. Happened about dawn. My brother and I ran to the doorway of our bedroom like they teach you, but then from the other side of the twisting hallway my dad came running out wrapped in a sheet. I shouted out “AAAHH!!! A GHOST!” then ran back into my room and hopped under the covers while everything shook, fell, cracked, and rattled around me. It’s one of my few/clearest early childhood memories.
    Last edited by ljb187; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:30.
    GrussGott, Simon and Synequano like this.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

I am not in California but I feel for everyone there impacted by this one. Felt a small quake in Dubai some years ago and I was struck by what an unnatural and odd feeling that was, even though it was minor and no danger.

Simon likes this.

There was also a 5.6 two days ago in Vancouver Island ... hopefully these aren't a harbinger of The Really Big One
    Last edited by GrussGott; 2 Weeks Ago at 22:44.

I would hate to see what’s next after a 6 and 7 earthquake.

Well this is scary ...

Had Friday’s 7.1 earthquake and other ongoing seismic shocks hit less than 200 miles northwest of Ridgecrest/China Lake, ten million people in Los Angeles would now be under an apocalyptic cloud, their lives and those of the state and nation in radioactive ruin.

The two cracked, embrittled, under-maintained, unregulated, uninsured, and un-inspected atomic reactors at Diablo Canyon, near San Luis Obispo, would be a seething radioactive ruin. Their cores would be melting into the ground. ...

When I feel one I just head under the nearest table and sing, "All Shook Up".

Playa Del Rey...The 6.4 mag on the morning of the 4th scared me at first because I thought I was having vertigo symptoms and started thinking I had brain tumor or something, but then I saw the dining room chandelier was swaying and knew it was an quake. The one on Friday evening felt much stronger (7.1) – was BBQ’ing in the back yard and had a glass of wine or two already so it was not so scary :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information