Cats, Dogs and other pets - Page 51
Like Tree5763Likes

Thread: Cats, Dogs and other pets

Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast
    Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Thumbs Up Re: Cats, Dogs and other pets

@drawman623 -- 'Good On You' -- Stories like this are inspiring.

--- My Best to You, and Norman, and Good Wishes for a Long and Happy Life together. ---

Barry S, Robotaz and drawman623 like this.

Re: Cats, Dogs and other pets

Quote Originally Posted by drawman623 View Post
    Taz, you have my heartfelt condolences. When my son (cat) Ziggy died, I was so shaken with grief that I could hear bells (literally) that were not there for several months.

The only thing I can offer is a story or two. My cat Kipling, who is affectionately known as "little boy" was the runt of his litter. He failed to thrive and in fact was slated to be euthanized by a local shelter when I found him. He had an upper respiratory infection with fever and when I opened his cage door, he literally fell out into my lap, too weak to stand. I told the shelter staff that I wanted to adopt him. They made every effort to dissuade me but I insisted. Kipling or no adoption. They relented and 5 weeks later, he was well enough to take home. He has been the greatest joy of my life since then. When I saw the picture of Kita, I thought I was looking at my own little boy

Kipling is well and 13 now. I have had cats all my life but this little guy is the smartest by far. I'm sure you're familiar with joys of a pet's love. There is no replacing them, but as you well advise, loving them back each and every day is the only comfort. Your pets are lucky to have you.
    Quote Originally Posted by drawman623 View Post

This maniac, "Norman" found his way to my life in an interesting way. I was late getting to a memorial service for my best friend Norman Lemieux. I had arranged the gathering and was to eulogize my friend. The reason I was late was that I had helped a family member rescue a cat (black and white) and took him to a local shelter. I still had the cat carrier in my car.

On the passenger seat was a large framed picture of my departed buddy holding his black and white cat. It was a joyous moment and I wanted all to share at his memorial. As I drove, I passed a black and white cat that had been struck on the roadside. Good samaritans were tending to the animal but it was January 19 and bitterly cold. The cat was going into shock in a pool of its own blood. They had placed a towel over the animal when I U-turned and got out to help.

I scooped up the cat despite the grim assessment of one of the samaritans. I placed him in the carrier and drove to a nearby animal hospital. I left my credit card and told them to put him down or save him, based upon the tests they could perform. They asked me for his name and I replied "Norman" Lemeow.

The injuries were significant, a broken jaw and brain injury that left him unable to walk. They kept him alive and wired his jaw. I slept with him for the next 3 months, administering pain killers and AD food until he had recovered his strength. In time, his mobility returned to normal. One of his ears still droops but he is basically 100%.

Now he sleeps with my girlfriend and me. Under the covers...like a small child. He is a happy boy. It has been 3 years since his accident. I know he could succomb unexpectedly to a complication from his former life, but we have fun every day without a single regret. Compassion like yours can transform the quality of life for an animal...and threads like this one can inspire others to do so as well.

Cheers

I actually had to dry my eyes before I could type this.

Wonderful stories. Animals truly bring out the best in us.
    Barry

The coincidence that drawman calls Kipling his "little boy", and that my last cat to pass was officially Little Boy...well, it's cool that he told us that while I was grieving over losing Little Boy and Kita.

I just wish all of the animal lovers could go to a big island and live together. Or, maybe relegate the non-lovers to an island. :) lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to read about your loss, Robotaz and what great stories did you trigger.

You also refer to the elephant in our house, one that we ignore, but still very real. We never think about how short our animal family members live compared to us humans and that we will most likely outlive them. And when that day arrives ......

Paulien is 14 1/2 now, a respectable age for a JRT - she's gone from the cutest pup to a very strong über alpha dog, acting like a 90 lbs one and pulling that off too, to an old, super sweet and somewhat limited dog. She's been dealing with arthritis for several years now, little vision left, hearing on the way out and the K9 equivalent of Alzheimer. More often than not, she's thoroughly confused. But what a great dog she still is, great help at whatever we do. She always supervises when I wash our vehicles; yesterday wasn't any different:

Name:  160611_Paulien.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  296.8 KB

Sent from deep in the heart of Texas.
    Robotaz and Barry S like this.

Get home from the Y and she leaps in to my wife's gym bag.

Name:  20160612_123252.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  235.4 KB
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Sorry to read about your loss, Robotaz and what great stories did you trigger.

You also refer to the elephant in our house, one that we ignore, but still very real. We never think about how short our animal family members live compared to us humans and that we will most likely outlive them. And when that day arrives ......

Paulien is 14 1/2 now, a respectable age for a JRT - she's gone from the cutest pup to a very strong über alpha dog, acting like a 90 lbs one and pulling that off too, to an old, super sweet and somewhat limited dog. She's been dealing with arthritis for several years now, little vision left, hearing on the way out and the K9 equivalent of Alzheimer. More often than not, she's thoroughly confused. But what a great dog she still is, great help at whatever we do. She always supervises when I wash our vehicles; yesterday wasn't any different:

Name:  160611_Paulien.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  296.8 KB
    Does she take a supplement for arthritis?

We give our animals this:

Quadka likes this.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz
    Does she take a supplement for arthritis?
    We started sprinkling Glucosamine on her food, but being the picky eater she is, that didn't work too well. Paulien is on a specially formulated "senior dog" food similar to what you're showing. Not cheap, but then she doesn't eat much ....
    Wished we could do more for her. We've discussed additional medication with her vet, but the consensus is that the side-effect are worse than the reason for putting her on the medication to begin with.

It limits her mobility, so we can often be seen like this:

Name:  160326_Paulien_bolide_1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  433.5 KB

People think we're silly / crazy - funniest thing, now that we have this stroller, she walks more again. We'll push her to wherever and get her out. More often then not, she then walks the whole way home. Added benefit: I can take her on my runs - she's never been much of a runner, but I do now have company on my mid-range (6 - 9 miles) runs.
    Last edited by MHe225; June 12th, 2016 at 20:48.

She's got good parents! That's for sure!
    MHe225, Barry S and OmegaCosmicMan like this.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

May as well join in
    Dinky Binky

And Socks

Happy families

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    MHe225, Robotaz, Barry S and 5 others like this.
    JR

Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information