Drone deliveries have been approved - Page 3
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Drone deliveries have been approved

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: Drone deliveries have been approved

Quote Originally Posted by eblackmo View Post
    The only entrepreneur that I can think of that would compare to Musk is Sir Richard Branson. Another charismatic individual with plans to send people into space but I wouldn't consider him to be a visionary either. Gandhi or maybe even Ho Chi Minh were visionaries and they dedicated their lives to something bigger than themselves. Guys like Musk and Branson are just looking to make a lot of money.

Am I overly cynical? Maybe.
    I would say that a CEO like Yvon Chouinard is (and frankly always has been) more of a visionary than either Musk or Branson. Both of whom have bought into their own corporate / technological mythology and have developed egos to match.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I would say that a CEO like Yvon Chouinard is (and frankly always has been) more of a visionary than either Musk or Branson. Both of whom have bought into their own corporate / technological mythology and have developed egos to match.
    Interesting. I haven't heard of Mr. Chouinard before. Sounds like he does some good work.

I am not frothing at the mouth when I make my posts by the way. ;) I just don't like certain savvy business men being equated with messiahs who are leading us to the promised land.
    TheWalrus likes this.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

double.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

All I will say dude is this. Every major car manufacturer has the capability to build "autopilot" software. They don't and there is a reason for that. I am sure autopilot is fine as a semi autonomous system though.
    They work great for lane drift prevention, self parking and emergency braking. But everything else? Leaves many unforeseen circumstances to chance. It's of course true that many accidents happen due to human error. But there's a difference between forced and unforced errors. It's conceivable to forgive a human for a mistake, but not a computer. It's supposed to be perfect.

I had a long conversation with a couple people about autonomous vehicles and we concluded that with the present technology, the most plausible use for automated driving is in traffic. Because it moves slowly and is far more predictable than city driving. Plus, when cruising on the highway, maintaining a certain speed, staying in a lane and avoiding other cars is relatively easy to do.

One other problem is the intermediate stage of an increasing number of autonomous vehicles in a road system with mostly human drivers. There will be people who will take advantage of the "deference" of autonomous cars. Especially lane cutting. There would eventually have to be a tracking system in the car that would identify such violations and... report them.
    eblackmo likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Interesting. I haven't heard of Mr. Chouinard before. Sounds like he does some good work.

I am not frothing at the mouth when I make my posts by the way. ;) I just don't like certain savvy business men being equated with messiahs who are leading us to the promised land.
    Oh I agree completely. I'll go further, even. And say that our society is a little too enraptured by 'business men' and 'entrepreneurs' in general. They help keep the wheels of the economy moving and people employed. Definitely. And when motivated by all of the right things, they can make some really great advances for our society. But they're no more important than teachers, or engineers, or lawyers, or doctors, or trades people, or garbage collectors.

But - it seems, increasingly, that their opinions about everything from the economy, to education, to the environment, to international affairs are being given hugely disproportionate weight. Especially since they are - all of them - motivated first and foremost by their own success.
    xevious and eblackmo like this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Drones are used to deliver blood in Rwanda - great video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnoUBfLxZz0

It's really cool stuff and - if set up well - can truly be game changing.
    eblackmo likes this.

Makes sense they would start in Canberra - The .... and debauchery capital of Australia.

All those plain Brown boxes will no longer be visible on the doorstep....

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    eblackmo likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    They work great for lane drift prevention, self parking and emergency braking. But everything else? Leaves many unforeseen circumstances to chance. It's of course true that many accidents happen due to human error. But there's a difference between forced and unforced errors. It's conceivable to forgive a human for a mistake, but not a computer. It's supposed to be perfect.

I had a long conversation with a couple people about autonomous vehicles and we concluded that with the present technology, the most plausible use for automated driving is in traffic. Because it moves slowly and is far more predictable than city driving. Plus, when cruising on the highway, maintaining a certain speed, staying in a lane and avoiding other cars is relatively easy to do.

One other problem is the intermediate stage of an increasing number of autonomous vehicles in a road system with mostly human drivers. There will be people who will take advantage of the "deference" of autonomous cars. Especially lane cutting. There would eventually have to be a tracking system in the car that would identify such violations and... report them.
    I think these kinds of systems are fine when operating within known parameters e.g. speed and direction when using GPS. Or clearly marked out road lanes. However when road conditions change unexpectedly or don't adhere to what the AI has been trained for it becomes dicey. Hence the human in the loop.

I guess in terms of western culture we are left with guys like Elon Musk as "visionaries".

I can tell you from my professional experience. Admittedly not related to autonomous cars but neural nets and deep learning that these things are so far from perfect. If I heard neural net and autonomous...and... operating my car.* I would buy a bicycle.

How do you think these things recognize localized traffic signs for example? What happens if it hasn't been trained on a particular traffic sign? You think a computer can understand the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post

What?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information