Drone deliveries have been approved
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Drone deliveries have been approved

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Drone deliveries have been approved

This is a world first by the way folks. There will be a lot of countries looking to Australia and the ACT to see how it is done.

This was being trialed while I was living in Canberra. One of the main problems people had was the noise people also have concerns about privacy. Although it seems that delivery via drones has now moved beyond the trial phase and has been approved in the ACT.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...light/10983684

Some interesting questions about how the proprietary nature of Googles software will effect competitors. Is regulation required?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...space/11188062
    Last edited by eblackmo; 1 Week Ago at 10:40.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Re: Drone deliveries have been approved

Wonder if it will make porch pirating a bit more difficult as they won't see the truck pull up and stop.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerswit View Post
    Wonder if it will make porch pirating a bit more difficult as they won't see the truck pull up and stop.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    You actually have a fully automated drone dropping a payload into your back yard. The future is happening in the most boring city in Australia for some reason. One of the first benefits is cutting out a delivery driver. Of course it is along way off from being accepted but these drones have been used extensively in certain parts of the ACT and have been found to be a very successful way to deliver medication for example.
    GrussGott likes this.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eblackmo View Post
    been used extensively in certain parts of the ACT and have been found to be a very successful way to deliver medication for example.
    Using this technology to help people with limited mobility is fantastic - this alone can increase quality of life (and length!)
    eblackmo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eblackmo View Post
    been used extensively in certain parts of the ACT and have been found to be a very successful way to deliver medication for example.
    Using this technology to help people with limited mobility is fantastic - this alone can increase quality of life (and length!)

Time to invest in shotgun shells and companies that make them.....
    BDIC, Crunchnolo and LB Carl like this.
    -----

Watches are like whisky. 1 is good.. 2 is too many.... 3 are not enough........

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    Time to invest in shotgun shells and companies that make them.....
    Yeah, I also wonder about the security factor. Hovering drones are very vulnerable to damage. I wouldn't be surprised if a drone company comes out with an attack drone specifically designed to attack other drones. It approaches from above and deploys a weighted net that spreads over the quad rotors, immobilizing them. Another method is spraying insulating foam that binds up the rotors and puts the drone into a forced landing. This way the payload has a better chance of surviving the drop.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Yeah, I also wonder about the security factor. Hovering drones are very vulnerable to damage. I wouldn't be surprised if a drone company comes out with an attack drone specifically designed to attack other drones. It approaches from above and deploys a weighted net that spreads over the quad rotors, immobilizing them. Another method is spraying insulating foam that binds up the rotors and puts the drone into a forced landing. This way the payload has a better chance of surviving the drop.

This has now substantially increased the chances of the following conversation happening.

Name:  obi-wan-remembers-the-painful-tr.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  190.2 KB
    eblackmo, fish70 and xevious like this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    xevious likes this.

A guy I was working with over in Canberra met the Google project manager who is running the project. And he said the amount of safety systems they have to pack into the drones is insane. They had to get approval from CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority https://www.casa.gov.au/) after all.

The drones are fine operating in close proximity (I suspect they are using a form of swarm theory) but they have use cases like what happens if a drone gets in the way of an air ambulance (helicopter) as it is coming in to land at Cavalry? Interesting problems to solve and it seems that they have. It also seems that google have effectively shut out competition With proprietary software unless they open source it or license it to other vendors.

This is it. This what Amazon etc. have been talking about for years. Delivery by actually semi autonomous drones.* The rest of the world is going to be looking very closely at the Canberra guinea pig.

*No one is really clear on it. It seems the drones have operators BUT the drones use what appears to be an autonomous system (called UTM) to navigate etc. So I guess semi autonomous is probably correct? Human in the loop or something similar?
    Last edited by eblackmo; 1 Week Ago at 08:34.
    xevious likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information