Ever seen a UFO?? - Page 7
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ever seen a UFO??

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Ever seen a UFO??

Sorry sir, according to our resident Science (Correctional) Officer, you were "refuted" even before you got out of the car. You simply don't know what you saw.

Most likely what you saw was actually just a McDonald sign, but did not have the acumen of an astronomer to know any better. ..

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post
    In 1976 my GF and I and another couple were driving out of town on a summer evening just before sundown. She was driving and having a conversation with the people in the back and I was just looking out the window listening when I saw some lights in the sky off in the distance maybe a mile or two off to my right....

. If somebody talks about the possibility of life on other planets or something I don't being up the subject, as I don't think it was an alien craft. Just some Unidentified Flying Object lead balloon type thingy.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; May 18th, 2013 at 18:52.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    That said, which part of "I don't give 2 biscuits one way or the other" do you not get?
    I know, you said that earlier.

I already said that right at the beginning, and yet, you seem so "concupiscent" to state what is, and is NOT the "truth" of the matter.
    I'm perfectly free to reply to what you post in any way I choose as long as it's within the forum guidelines. In this case I challenge the integrity of that group and their claims as well as their motivations, for the same reasons I challenge Steven Greer for trying to pretend that an aborted human fetus is an extraterrestrial hybrid (link). If you're interested in a discussion of any such groups or people, issues, claims, or their histories, that's great. And if not, I still reserve the right to express my opinion on these matters anyway.

As learned as you seem to appear, Sir, I get the feeling that you don't understand that 'atheism' is another form of 'theism,' and a "belief system" unto itself also. 'Fundamentalism' is not always on the side of the "believers" of "fantasies."
    None of this is accurate, but as discussion of religion is not allowed here, we unfortunately won't be able to pursue that.

Sorry sir, according to experts, you were refuted even before you got out of the car.
    Oh, and get your eyes checked.
    Most likely what you saw was actually just a McDonald sign, but did not have the acumen of an astronomer to know any better. ..
    Life goes on. It did then and it will now.

If I wasn't alright with telling about it, and with what other people might possibly think as a result, you can bet I wouldn't have. I don't have anything to prove or theory to put forth. It's just something that happened and you can take it or leave it. Either way it won't change anything.
    Last edited by OCDood; May 18th, 2013 at 12:27.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Of course I was merely being facetious, in jest.
    I actually found your story very compelling.
    I am sure many people have stories, but are afraid to say anything for fear of being ridiculed.

This much seems fair to say:
    A lot of people make bogus claims. But just as many claim to have seen things zipping around all over the world, and according to many who claim to have seen one - you and me included - they seem to zip around in ways that do not conform to the laws of aerodynamics as we (conventionally) understand them.

Who knows who made them? Why not us (the military or some private consortium)?
    UFOs are one thing, ET is another.

I cannot quite see why some people are so invested in "believing" the very possibility of such a phenomenon to be so unlikely as to be practically IMPOSSIBLE. What poverty of imagination!

Life goes on. It did then and it will now.

If I wasn't alright with telling about it, and with what other people might possibly think as a result, you can bet I wouldn't have. I don't have anything to prove or theory to put forth. It's just something that happened and you can take it or leave it. Either way it won't change anything.

Of course I was merely being facetious, in jest.
    I know, that wasn't directed at you. I was speaking in general.

I know, that wasn't directed at you. I was speaking in general.
    Speaking of speaking generally, I think I will also "speak" generally to all the Guardians of Truth and Justice and the American Way... by way of this:
    Sure sleep better at night knowing I will not wake up to a world gone entirely to pot due to soft-brained people who foolishly cannot bring themselves to trust 100% what the media, professors, and gov officials have to say.

Name:  Someone-is-wrong-on-internet.png
Views: 5656
Size:  38.3 KB

If we're going to invoke the wisdom of xkcd, this one's a bit more relevant:

While I don't believe what I saw was alien in origin, I don't think that discounts everything to be said on the subject. The NASA videos are IMO some of the most hard to dismiss.

The tether incident, in which Space Shuttle STS-75 mission deployed a satellite with a 12 mile long tether that broke loose, is one of the more convincing to me. I've seen the demo of them trying to explain it away as a trick of light, with things appearing to have gone behind something actually having gone in front of it, and the claims it was ice crystals seem harder to believe than the possibility it was extraterrestrial ships of some sort. To me it looked like they were thick as guppies in a fish tank crowding around to get a closer look.

UFO NASA's unexplained tether overload incident - YouTube

I cannot quite see why some people are so invested in "believing" the very possibility of such a phenomenon to be so unlikely as to be practically IMPOSSIBLE. What poverty of imagination!
    Since "some people" in this case certainly includes me, I feel obligated to respond.

I'm not invested in believing anything; that's honestly a really clumsy description. Is a phenomenon like you're describing impossible? No, and I would never make such a claim. It remains more likely that tremendous quantities of prosaic and earthly explanations exist and must be exhausted before even considering or moving on to extraordinary ones. Imagination is all well and good, but wishful thinking is no substitute for evidence. "I saw something weird" unfortunately does not satisfy any remotely scientific standard for evidence, nor is there any means of ensuring that someone's "experience" was correctly interpreted or described, or that they're even recalling it correctly.

If someone you knew was in the process of buying a specific timepiece, and you had explicit knowledge of it being counterfeit and could demonstrate that -- would you tell him or remain silent about it?

I personally place substantial value on honesty, and I think I have an ethical responsibility to speak out about established nonsense when I see it, even if that comes across as a bitter pill. I am much more understanding of everyday people seeing something in the sky they couldn't explain, and that's really not so uncommon. The groups that you've brought up so far, however, are really stunning examples of dishonesty, and I don't want you or anyone else to get taken in by that kind of snake oil, even if no money ever changes hands.

The disclosure crowd has been at it for a long time, and as I've said before: if you're not familiar with their histories, objectively, you're not going to be in a good position to recognize their hogwash when you see it.
    Last edited by astronerd; May 18th, 2013 at 16:45. Reason: typo

The NASA videos are IMO some of the most hard to dismiss.

The tether incident, in which Space Shuttle STS-75 mission deployed a satellite with a 12 mile long tether that broke loose, is one of the more convincing to me. I've seen the demo of them trying to explain it away as a trick of light, with things appearing to have gone behind something actually having gone in front of it, and the claims it was ice crystals seem harder to believe than the possibility it was extraterrestrial ships of some sort. To me it looked like they were thick as guppies in a fish tank crowding around to get a closer look.
    As an avid follower of spaceflight, NASA missions especially, I think these are actually the weakest possible examples that are brought up from time to time.

It's not so much a trick of light as it is perspective. The vantage point from the payload bay cameras in use at that time provides no sense of scale or distance in those clips, and that it's set against the black backdrop of space doesn't help either. Had there been large (let alone intelligently controlled) objects nearby and flying around the orbiter en masse, don't you think Columbia's crew or mission control staff would have registered any measurable reaction? As NASA vet James Oberg notes, if the claims of some UFO advocates are to be believed, those "objects" would have been large enough to see not only from the ground, but via weather satellites in orbit. Instead, the far more plausible explanation is that they're very small and very close things in the frame.

This is really as mundane as it gets: video elements that are misinterpreted by UFO advocates or enthusiasts who lack expertise with NASA's equipment, operations, procedures, and video. The fact that these "NASA UFO" clips are rarely if ever presented honestly to viewers is also a recurrent problem.

Quote Originally Posted by James Oberg
    Since the STS-75 flight records show that the famous "swarm/tether" scene was made three days after the tether break (and not immediately afterwards, as many viewers were led to misconstrue), then it is possible that the shuttle crew had returned to normal shuttle operations. And indeed they had. A check (by me) of shuttle crew activities show that the "swarm/tether" scene was proceded a few hours earlier by a routine water dump, a process that is known to create clouds of debris particles, many of which linger around the shuttle for several hours before drifting off.
    (Emphasis mine.)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information